SoundMAGIC PL30 impressions
May 13, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #272 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As one who owns numerous pair of headphones etc I can say with all honesty that the SoundMagic PL30 are just absolutely incredible !!! At first listen I was not too impressed, nice soundstage, clear sound, can't beat the price. Interesting but certainly no match for my Shure SE310's or Yuin PK1's right? Wrong. Something about the way they fit (takes a bit of experimenting with the tips) When you find the right combination trust me you'll know. Deep bass, HUGE soundstage and detail detail detail. I don't know if maybe the type of driver is what I like, I don't know if it's the fit. All I know is I use these everyday and grin when I shove em in. Now I won't subject myself to ridicule more than I have too but I DO use these more than my Westone 3's. I am not saying they ARe better, that would be ridiculous. What I am saying though is, something about these puppies keep me hooked and incredibly immersed. BTW, associated equipment.... I'm using an 80GB IMOD from Red Wine Audio, iMod ALO Cryo, and a Emmeline "P-51 Mustang" Portable Headphone Amp. Here's the deal I think and maybe it's from owning almost every type of home speaker ever created (seriously). I think I'm just not an "armature" guy. Naturally modern armatures are a modern day marvel, I won't begin to dispute that. Also, a three armature design with passive crossovers like in the Westone 3's is just like mind boggling. Fact is though the 9mm "drive unit" of the PL 30's in my opinion kick serious butt. Just like with speakers, some people swear by ported designs, others, unported. Some like electrostats, some like ribbons, it's all a matter of taste. If I put on a pair of iems and 3 hours later I'm still groovin and enjoying myself like a happy kid then I've found a great product. The PL30 is a great product.

Good comments & I am happy that you like our PL30, we will lunch the new models soon, hope you will continue to support us.

May 15, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #274 of 327
I second that. These headphones are cheap, build quality is absolute crap. Not only did Focalprice take a month to ship it, they would not replace it after it broke after only 4 months of use. Utter crap. I would stay away from Soundmagic and any other products they have coming out.

May 18, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #277 of 327
I won't protest their build quality one bit. That's why I bought 4 pair. If and when, well never mind if, when they break, I have 3 more pair, broken in and ready to take it's place. To me, that's the allure. A "cheap, incredible iem" period. I'm dreading the day I snag my new Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A on something and the cord pulls out. Why didn't the Westone 3 go the extra step and make it's cord "replacable like some other forward thinking iem manufacturers? With a cheap set of seriously decent iems that worry is eliminated.

May 18, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #279 of 327
My daughter, who has been hard on ear buds in the past, has had these for a few months now. No problems to date. Gave a pair to my son last week, so we'll see how long they last for him.

May 26, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #280 of 327
My pair is still holding up and sound better than ever. I've tried them with 6 different portables and its a lot of fun to be able to differentiate between the "sound signature" of each portable. They (the PL30's) are also great at revealing differences in amplification and yes....even interconnects. A truly revealing product.

May 26, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #281 of 327
I had a pair that broke but I bought from the guy on ebay and thus paid more and kicked myself when I read of all the people who had them for less but then when they stopped giving sound on one side he replaced them straight away no problem, depends who you buy from!! Having said that when I got them back I didn't use them much I found the sound too shallow but I found by chance the perfect seals for them and now they are again my phone of choice, and yes I do own PK1s and triple fis but there's just something about the PL30s as the guy says you listen with a smile on your face and if you get a great seal that's a smile from ear to ear!!

May 29, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #282 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyreynold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second that. These headphones are cheap, build quality is absolute crap. Not only did Focalprice take a month to ship it, they would not replace it after it broke after only 4 months of use. Utter crap. I would stay away from Soundmagic and any other products they have coming out.

still no comment on how they broke. cum on tell us
tongue_smile.gif

May 30, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #283 of 327
You gotta try it to believe it.

Just got it today, ordered from mp4nation about 2 weeks ago.

Sounds decent out of box, bass is quite impressive even in the "clear" setting.

sounds better than any other $20 IEMs to me, including Altech Lansing UHP306 I recently purchased.

May 30, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #285 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterControversy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do these compare to the PK3's?

you are comparing an IEM to an earbud

I just got PL30, not fully burnt-in yet

but one thing I can tell is the PL30 has stronger bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back