SoundMAGIC PL30 impressions
Oct 12, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #241 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ksc75's need to be replaced ( cable split) ,

I am prone to IEM sibilance and irritation ( losing seal etc.) and am considering just getting another pair of ksc75 , but the impressions in this thread are so hard to ignore.

Will I or Will I not be satisfied with these?

my IEM history : Fx55 , Fx66 (sibilant) and mylar X3 (allright)

You really can't go wrong for $20 to try

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #242 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ksc75's need to be replaced ( cable split) ,

I am prone to IEM sibilance and irritation ( losing seal etc.) and am considering just getting another pair of ksc75 , but the impressions in this thread are so hard to ignore.

Will I or Will I not be satisfied with these?

my IEM history : Fx55 , Fx66 (sibilant) and mylar X3 (allright)

I'm also sensitive to IEM sibilance, and I find the PL30 just fine in that regard. They seem to fit nicely in the nook of my ear, too...They're about the only IEM I've tried that I can lie on my side with. My only wish would be for a touch more bass impact, but they do perform quite well.

Also: Considering the KS75 has a lifetime warranty, why don't you send them in to Koss for replacement as well? [EDIT -- Oh wait. The Netherlands.
rolleyes.gif
]

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #244 of 327
i'm going to post my impression here rather than start a new thread. i hope the op doesn't mind.

I’d considered writing a one word review… impressive.

I’ll go on by saying I have had multiple sets of canal phones and iem’s. some have sounded better but have annoying traits. The Sennheiser CX300 died after eight months of hard use; abuse. While they sounded decent they never approached the dynamics of full size cans at any volume level. Most canal phones just don’t. Don’t misunderstand if one channel was still working I never would have searched for another brand or model for general listening. My next set of inexpensive ear canal speakers was the JVC ha-fx66, these were comfortable and did an excellent job at blocking external noise; much better than the aforementioned Sennheisers. The PL30s stay where you put them, the JVCs seemed to work themselves loose eating or drinking The JVC were troubled by pseudo bass. No amount of adjustment would make them clear in the bottom registers. High frequency with the JVCs was there, just not extended. Neither the JVC or the cx300s will hold a candle to the Soundmagic PL30s in any and all categories.
Now that we have apples compared to apples let’s say we try an orange. Shure SE310s will be the orange. Excellent isolation and warm through the midrange. Sensitivity with the Shures is also very good; better than all the above phones and still slightly better than the PL30’s. What is lacking with the Shures is ease of insertion and removal and comfort. The Shures have stiff short cables and fit deeply in the canals In terms of dynamics the PL30’s do in fact come close. Sound spectrum is reasonable with a slight dip in the upper midrange and roll off at the top. Lower extension is very good and midrange is very nicely heard with the PL30’s; The strong point here is bass, you will hear definition of bass lines. Midrange and vocals are better with the Shures. Some simple adjustments to the phones with the ten band equalizer of my Meizu M6sl brings the sound closer to the Shures and very close to my ATH A700s I’ve yet to hear earphones come close to full size cans for soundstage. The PL30’s are no slouch here either. I do no adjustments to the SE310’s; they just don’t need it the same can be said for the Audio Technica’s While playing with the adjustments I did notice that a bit of eq didn’t throw the sound of the PL30s off. The range of adjustment I used was slight but it was audible with the Soundmagic phones. Even at low volumes dynamics were acceptable and when turned up held together very well; linear. It’s a real testament to the quality of the PL30s that I can tell the difference between FLAC and MP3 files in playback. I only used the clear bass settings, can’t imagine why anyone needs more, it’s there.
Will these replace my Sennheiser 545’s? Hardly but they will be my knock a rounds at 20 dollars. No question! They’ve been in my ears for a few hours now and maybe break in will improve them. Stay tuned.
Steve

still after a few weeks, no problems, sounds just a good as the first day and there are still moments where i just can't wait to get these in and fired up.

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #245 of 327
I was reading the soundmagic blog/various forums and they are reporting that soundmagic and beyerdynamic have signed a partnership...

Can anyone confirm this as my reading is poor.

mmmm... DT880 IEM's
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #246 of 327
Ok here is my impression of the PL-30s. The following is copied and pasted from a PM conversation with a fellow member asking to compare with the Cresyn E630. As such, please forgive the chaotic nature of my impression.

Still burning it. Initial impression was really bad. They sound very mechanical and fake to me at 1st. After burning in through the night and it did improve.

The thing was I wasn't able to get a proper seal. Upon closer inspection, the tips felt more like rubber then silicon. So after I tried using with the tips from the cresyns, denons and audio technica, they sounded absolutely perfect for me. To me the quality of the entire arsenal of tips were really bad. No seal and sound very bad.

Soundstage would be abt the same as the cresyns, detail wise they are leaps and bounds ahead of cresyn. Really no comparison.
Mids has a slight bump in the upper range but noticeable only on certain recordings.
Bass I feel they are just nice with proper tips. Using the supplied tips the bass was pretty much non existent to me. With the tips unless you are looking for head thumping clubbing kinda bass, most would be satisfied considering the amount of bass detail they provide.

I feel you wouldn't be disappointed coming from cresyns. They are the only pair of earphones that don't irritate when lying sideways in bed with them on. But I must say the over the ear design was badly implemented. The wires don't stay in place well unless you use the clip to tighten them. If the wires do bother you, focalprice seems to have 4 new lineup from soundmagic all without the over the ear design.

I'm planning to get one without the over the head design but at the same time will not let the PL-30s go as they sound superb and I can use it for audiobook listening during bed time.

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #247 of 327
So what tips did you settle on using with the PL30? I'd be interested in getting some better tips for them, but I'm not sure what will fit.

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #248 of 327
My impression since they've arrived.. Their clarity is impressive and only slightly behind my Shure SE110s, the difference is that the Shure's sound terrible with their pronounced midrange whereas the SoundMagic's have a pleasant sound signature. IMO, best earphones for the money.

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #249 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what tips did you settle on using with the PL30? I'd be interested in getting some better tips for them, but I'm not sure what will fit.

The tips from the normal audio technica series and from my denon 352 seems to have the same effect sound wise for me. Decided to use the audio technica ones since I've got spares of that.

Nov 14, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #250 of 327
I recived 3 pairs of IEM from Forcalprice, pl11 pl12 pl30.

pl30 are suberb, but only on comply tips, on difrent tips they sounds awful in my ears.

pl12 for me are 1:1 the same thing as crossroads X3, they are very nice too, but pl30 are better. I never heard CR XB but i think they sound like pl11.

Pl11 Pl12 for 9$ they are very very nice ( nothing better for that very low budget) the same thing is with pl30 i paid 20$ for them and i think they will be my favorite IEM for a long time, wish for better isolation.

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #251 of 327
Got mine at last... I ordered a couple weeks before my overseas trip, and they didn't arrive until after I left
frown.gif

So, nice "welcome home" gift
wink.gif

Initial thoughts - very comfortable, could hardly tell they were in; they sounded nice, but very weak on bass.
Then I tried the larger tips - slightly less comfortable, but the payoff in sound quality was worth it.

And they keep their seal when I eat... my JVCs would lose seal whenever I clenched my jaw...
Isolation is maybe slightly less than the Marshmallows, but I suspect that's mostly because you're going from foams to single-flanges. I might try biflange or foam tips on the PL30...
Anyone upgrading from Marshmallows will be happy (unless you've gotten hooked on the 'mallows boomy bass)

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #252 of 327
Bought mine today from Focalprice.com for $25.71 shipped. That's their new price. Apparently they were previously about $20. I am hoping that these are not fakes! Reviews have been exellent. The "new" PL30 model looks alot like the NUFORCE NE-8M with adjustable bass. I'll follow up with another posting after I get them.

Nov 25, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #253 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by applevalleyjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PL30 model looks alot like the NUFORCE NE-8M with adjustable bass.

Yes, Nuforce NE-8 looks like SoundMAGIC PL30, and Nuforce NE-7M looks like SoundMAGIC PL11. So surprising.
wink.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #254 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_Samurai_chicken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was reading the soundmagic blog/various forums and they are reporting that soundmagic and beyerdynamic have signed a partnership...

Can anyone confirm this as my reading is poor.

:

According to a news release on the SOUNDMAGIC web page, this is indeed true! I wonder who is currently producing the Beyerdynamic DTX Pro and DTX 50?

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #255 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, Nuforce NE-8 looks like SoundMAGIC PL30, and Nuforce NE-7M looks like SoundMAGIC PL11. So surprising.
wink.gif

The similarities end with that though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back