SoundMAGIC PL30 impressions
Oct 3, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #301 of 327
I ordered mine 5 days ago from MP4nation, and it still says "processing". Normal?

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #302 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered mine 5 days ago from MP4nation, and it still says "processing". Normal?

MP4nation usual a little slow getting things let off but let's hope it will happen soon. Don't wait more than 2 weeks otherwise I would contact him and cancel that order if I where you.

Oct 15, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #304 of 327
I got them in the mail yesterday. Wow! The first thing that really pops out is the soundstage. I never heard so much roominess in IEMs. Cool.

I'm not much of a reviewer, so I'll leave you at that.
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #306 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by Menasor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Woody. How do you feel about the PL-21/MP-21? Would the E5 improve the sound or would an iPhone drive the PL-21/30 to their max potential already?

I can't comment on the PL-21/MP-21's as I have never tried them. The E5 is cheap enough to try without big financial risk. My guess is it would help even it were only to open up the soundstage a bit. If its not a good match (the E5), which I doubt would be the case, I'm sure you could find another use for it. Its a cool little product.

Nov 9, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #307 of 327
hi everyone, thanks for nice review, comments on PL30. I'm thinking about to buy a new pair headphones to replace my ugly J style SONY MDR-EX082. i wonder have anyone compare PL30 to V-Moda Vibe? which one produce better sound (bass, mid, treble)? thanks

Nov 11, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #308 of 327
Well, ordered one of these just the other day from focalprice.com. It has not yet shipped so I don't know when I'll get it. I only ordered because Paypal has some $20 cashback thing going on with focalprice which makes the white one that I ordered come out to $4.50. Let's hope I don't get jipped of my money and also end up with an earphone I don't like.

Also need to build me a CMoy for one of my classes in the next few weeks so I kinda want this for A/B listening comparisons.

Nov 24, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #310 of 327
I'm listening to them right now, a techno DJ set I recorded with vinyl (WAV). They sound great, the highs are really nice, comparing to what I've heard before. I really hate sibilance but the PL-30's don't produce any. The detail is nice as well, I can almost hear the needle going through the grooves
biggrin.gif

I've used them with UE medium tips before, but they would slide out of my ears after a while. Now I use the bi-flange tips that came with the PL-30 and they fit nicely.

The Fiio E3/E5 give them a little more power, but it's not needed imo.

I'm still very happy with them!

Dec 5, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #313 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got them in the mail yesterday. Wow! The first thing that really pops out is the soundstage. I never heard so much roominess in IEMs. Cool.

I'm not much of a reviewer, so I'll leave you at that.
wink.gif

Thats what I'm talkin about.
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #314 of 327
Yes, the PL30 are the airiest of my three Soundmagic IEMs (PL30/PL21/PL50). The cheapest IEMs that beat them in soundstage width are the Cyclone PR1 Pro which are at least 2x as expensive.

Dec 15, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #315 of 327
After two months, I just now got my $20 cashback so I paid $4.50 shipped from focalprice.com. Quite possibly the cheapest earphone I've ever purchased and it definitely competes above its intended price. I've been using the Comply T400 tips on them for a while and noticed that it sounded a bit muffled that way so I decided to give the included tips a try. After messing around with the included foams (which did not differ from the T400 very much except they weren't as comfortable) and the single flange tips (which are pretty much the ones that the JVC HA-FX66 included), I decided to try the bi-flange which I thought were going to be extremely uncomfortable. I'll still say they feel weird but they're not causing pain which means I should forget about them soon enough. I noticed the mids and treble improved with the bi-flanges and did notice the "airiness" improving. These things have probably been used/burned-in for 20 hours or so. The bass knob is completely worthless and just makes the music muddy so everyone should just leave it on the "Clear Bass" setting.

One thing I found a bit annoying was the fact that it has no dots on the buds to indicate which one is left and which is right. I can forgive them though because they use color indicators but that doesn't help when I'm putting them on before bed and the lights are off. Oh well, my Westone UM1 doesn't have them either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back