Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Nov 18, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #3,346 of 9,173
I definitely would like to hear the Z7s some day!
Non-fatiguing, big soundstage, slightly dark, the only description not mentioned yet is euphonic, but I suspect some poster here will describe them like that in the near future
smily_headphones1.gif

To me the ideal headphones would be the ones that are tuned to sound beautiful, closely followed by natural. I don't care THAT much about neutrality and the finest details.
The D5000s can sound euphonic and very pretty and I wouldn't mind a pair of headphones that sounded like that all of the time. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #3,347 of 9,173
Anyone tried pairing these with the ZX1? Want to get a PHA-2 or -3 at some point, but wanting to space or the purchases. My current IEMs work great with the ZX1, so I going with the PHA first seemed less optimal.

Nov 18, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #3,348 of 9,173

Why would I need to do that? You stated you weren't drawing conclusions about the Z7's and I quoted one of your posts where you were very clearly drawing conclusions about the Z7, why would I need to waste my time going through your posts to illustrate more instances of it, does that somehow change anything?

I was simply wondering why you claimed I made "many conclusions".

I must say... I made "observations", and those are far from "conclusions", but alas, I guess it must have read differently to other people.

So if anyone feels offended because I "belittled" them, I apologize. That was not my intention.

And I hope we can leave it at that. This is a discussion about a headphone, not about who's right or wrong, right?

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #3,349 of 9,173
What will a proper burn in do to the z7 and also does anyone know any good cables to use with these that will make the highs/treble more more present, that will make the headphones more alive?

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #3,350 of 9,173
  I definitely would like to hear the Z7s some day!
Non-fatiguing, big soundstage, slightly dark, the only description not mentioned yet is euphonic, but I suspect some poster here will describe them like that in the near future
smily_headphones1.gif

To me the ideal headphones would be the ones that are tuned to sound beautiful, closely followed by natural. I don't care THAT much about neutrality and the finest details.
The D5000s can sound euphonic and very pretty and I wouldn't mind a pair of headphones that sounded like that all of the time. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I did...

...Overall I'm digging the tonal balance, imaging, and presentation. Sometimes I'm getting that euphonic, "the sound is tickling my ears" feeling. I can feel the texture of the music...

I think part of the reason for the euphonic sensation is simply experiencing a new headphone; a new presentation. I am not yet used to how the sound waves are hitting off my ear. It might just be in my head but I think the large drivers create this euphonic sound pressure or something. The "Feel the air" slogan makes sense to me in this regard (so, not as in treble 'air') as I do feel the sound hitting my ears to a degree. I guess you could actually think of hearing as a specialized way of feeling anyway; the eardrum being impacted by waves of air particles.

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #3,351 of 9,173
What will a proper burn in do to the z7 and also does anyone know any good cables to use with these that will make the highs/tremble more more present, that will make the headphones more alive?
burn in is real on these I think as my pair has settled down a bit in the bass and improved in the treble. But brain burn in is also very real for these as well. I think as we get used to the presentation we can start to notice the subtle nuances of this headphone.

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #3,354 of 9,173
Just purchased zx1 and Pairing it with my fiio E17 and mdr z7 simply amazing detail, tighter bass having to reduce bass by 4db to clean the presentation up, the mids were crisp and defined before this purchase had sampled the z7s with ak100, calyx m, hifiman 901 the only other dap that came close was the x5 imo. Only draw back imo is the lack of power the zx1 really does need an amp to drive basically anything really.

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #3,358 of 9,173
Definitely yay over here........

Anyone get to try them out of a speaker amp aka vintage? They play very well........

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #3,359 of 9,173
I'm gonna say yay, and once switched to better system, Z7 does more than I expected.

Paired with my Denon DA-300USB and newly received MARANTZ HD-DAC1, it shines. Z7 became well controlled, the mids were getting more details and the overall sounding was getting more balanced to my ears. With this system, Z7 betters my Denon D5000 and D600, pretty close to TH900 IMO. I was really surprised, because as I believed that Denon, Fostex and Marantz should work really well with each other considering their long time partnership. However the fact is that Z7 from Sony wins. 

That said, Z7 works well with amp with well controlled bass. It may offer more than expected once pairing with better source. By "better" I am definitely not meaning those portable gears Sony offered such as ZX1 and PHA-3 (too much bass and too muddy sound, really don't know what Sony's thinking about that combination).

Anyway, as I believe, Z7 has great potential and should be better treated with some serious sources. 

Nov 19, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #3,360 of 9,173
I am so upset at myself for not trying my Z7s with Woo's new prototype WA8, the portable tube amp/DAC, when I had the chance....

.....stupid, stupid, stupid.

If you could all have heard what magic it did with the T1; beautiful controlled bass.....

Now I can only imagine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back