Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Nov 18, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #3,331 of 9,173
For any A&K users out there I just discovered this 2.5mmTRRS balanced Z7 cable from `Bispa` : 

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #3,332 of 9,173
I read the post a couple pages back with a guy going on about wet and dry and a buncha stuff and it turns out he got all that from a sit down. Well i sit down with these every week and I didn't get that stuff at all. Sounds like a buncha bull.

These are good cans. They are not basshead as I am a basshead. These have sub bass that actually has to be boosted for Hip Hop and the like. Their un eq'd sound is nice especially for rock and roll or piano/jazz/R&B

The coating causes ever so slightly speedy bass decay which is why it's not a hammer. The mids are great which is why piano guitar and male vocals sound nice. They do not reach into the ecstasy 100khz range and neither do your ears so...

This thread has turned into a bizarre mish mash of folks. If i were an owner i would start the Z7 owners thread (hint hint wink wink) and talk amongst fellow owners instead of listening to some really off the wall stuff in here.

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #3,333 of 9,173
Since following this thread the few people I have heard that love them have had a ton of headphones. I imagine they just have an odd presentation vs a non technical one.

Still hopeful.

I am not riding the hype train that derailed into headphone bashing either. Just need to hear them myself.

Member Greed has a pair for sale for $530 with YOUR name on it my Oregon buddy.......................that is a great price. 

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #3,334 of 9,173
I honestly did not experience any "speedy bass decay" from the two occasions on which i tried them. In fact quite the opposite. This is from 2 "sit downs". The first lasting an hour the other about 2-2.5 hours. I get that spurious opinions based on a 5 minute listen just clog up the thread, but i'm sure one can comment usefully and constructively without having purchased them. Actually, if only those who have purchased them are listened to, then we'd only be hearing praise and no criticism, surely?

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #3,335 of 9,173
Yea I think as long as you have a couple hours in a quiet listening session, that's all you really need to get a feel for a headphone's sonics.  If you know which of your favorite recordings to use and what to listen for in them, then you should know how the Z7 performs relatively fast.  I've had these loaner Z7 for a couple days now, but my impressions after a couple days of listening is the same after 3 hours of listening.

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #3,336 of 9,173
I guess I'm the weirdo for just wanting to enjoy them....

....not pick them apart

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #3,337 of 9,173
Didn't even see that raven had a pair! Now I need to backtrack lol. And I wish I'd had my own music to listen with these although I did get to hear a Fleetwood mac song that I knew.

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #3,338 of 9,173
I'm enjoying mine too because I'm playing enjoyable tracks through them.  Just bought the Interstellar soundtrack off iTunes (because I'm just a huge Zimmer nut) and giving it a whirr with the Z7

I mentioned earlier that I thought the Z7 was one of the nicest pair of headphones I've ever looked at or held, but I think I'll say that it's probably the nicest feeling and looking headphone I've ever experienced in person.  Other notables would be the Oppo PM-1 and Audeze LCD-XC, but I think the Z7's more minimal and traditional look are big positives in comparison.

I've had a couple of long listening sessions with the Z7.  When I first put it on, the opening and curvature of its pads are the perfect fit for my ears, finding the right balance of roominess and snugness.  However after an hour or so, my ears start to get a little constrained, and the backs of my ears rub up against the diaphragm grill a little too much for my liking.  I wish the earpad cavities were ever so slightly larger for better long-term comfort. The earpads never sweat however, which is nice.

Oh, and these make the LCD3 sound bright by comparison.

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #3,339 of 9,173
I certainly noticed my ears touching the driver immediately. I had the setup problem with fazors but I've never listened to. Them for to long so I don't know how distracting it would be over time. I imagine the pads will also get less plush with wear so I also worry it would get worse

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #3,343 of 9,173

How can you draw so many conclusions about the Z7 when you admit you haven't even heard them yet?

You posted what I've been thinking.....over many posts....many.  I'm skipping over them at this point.  Sorry but it's getting to be too long a thread and I'm particularly interested in real world insights, good and bad combinations with amps, DAC's, music, etc...

HS

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #3,344 of 9,173
  Really? Here's just one example of you drawing conclusions about the Z7 without having heard them.

That sounds to me like you've already concluded that the HE-560 is "just so much better" than the Z7.

Can you point out the rest?

And it's not so much a conclusion as it is an observation. I collected them over time from folks who have heard both and posted their thoughts prior to my posts.

Anyway, it's clear that you feel like I'm on some sort of crusade to "draw conclusions" rather than actually discussing anything, so I guess I'll stop until I get to hear the Z7 first hand. And then I'll report back.

He is trying to talk himself into buying one....
tongue.gif

Pretty much, yeah.

I'm just afraid of all of the split opinions, to be honest. So my posts have been collecting those thoughts instead of actually trying to decide on anything conclusive.

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #3,345 of 9,173

Can you point out the rest?

Why would I need to do that? You stated you weren't drawing conclusions about the Z7's and I quoted one of your posts where you were very clearly drawing conclusions about the Z7, why would I need to waste my time going through your posts to illustrate more instances of it, does that somehow change anything?

And it's not so much a conclusion as it is an observation. I collected them over time from folks who have heard both and posted their thoughts prior to my posts.

And this is precisely what bugs me about Head-Fi these days. Most users used to refrain from these types of posts if they didn't have experience with the product, but now there's a proliferation of people who read some user impressions and suddenly think they're an authority on it even though they've never heard the item they're drawing these conclusions about. There's so much of this that it's become near impossible to find useful info from actual users because it's so hard to sift through the posts and get to know who has actually heard something and posting based on experience vs. those that haven't heard something posting opinions based on what they've read.

Don't get me wrong, I draw conclusions like these all the time. I live in a somewhat more remote location in regards to anything Hi-Fi so I have to rely on buying to try. Before I buy I like to read pro reviews and user reviews, then correlate the results to try to get an understanding if the product might be what I'm looking for. The difference is, I won't post any of my thoughts until I've actually heard a product because more often than not what I think a product is going to sound like based on those impressions I read is usually off base to some degree or other. Personally, I don't think it does anyone any favors when people post their personal conclusions based on others impressions because a good amount the time it spreads misinformation.

I'll use the conclusions you drew about the Z7 user base as another example. Not only were you drawing conclusions about the Z7's quality but also, from what I can tell, your observations about the user base were way off and did nothing but belittle their experience.

Anyway, it's clear that you feel like I'm on some sort of crusade to "draw conclusions" rather than actually discussing anything, so I guess I'll stop until I get to hear the Z7 first hand. And then I'll report back.

Please do get to hear them, I think getting your own experience with the Z7's is a very good idea, although with the level of expectation bias you've shown throughout your posts I personally will take your report with a grain of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back