Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Nov 17, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #3,316 of 9,173
Since following this thread the few people I have heard that love them have had a ton of headphones. I imagine they just have an odd presentation vs a non technical one.

Still hopeful.

I am not riding the hype train that derailed into headphone bashing either. Just need to hear them myself.

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #3,317 of 9,173
absolutely need to hear them for yourself. At the price of these and their type of presentation it will be a love or hate thing for a lot of people and for some they just won't want to spend the money for what these offer. But for some like myself they simply sound awesome. as I sit typing I am listing to Fleetwood Mac Rumours and just loving it...

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #3,318 of 9,173
  I think you need to hear them before you can make a claim they don't have the technical prowess. They might not be the signature many were hoping for but I am not convinced they are not technically sound at least when compared to other similarly priced headphones. I think they are very detailed, it is just different than what many think it should be. I guess what I am saying is you might decide the people who say these are not technically sufficient are wrong after you hear them, it will depend on whether you like what Sony is offering in the Z7.

Well, I'm not one to go by measurements when I'm listening, of course, but technicality goes beyond what I'm hearing. I don't consider my hearing the deciding factor of technicality at all, as measurements have proven me wrong time after time.

That and... at $699, the Z7 is honestly rubbing off against headphones like the Alpha Dog, ZMF x Vibro, Paradox Slants, and not to mention many other open-back offerings like the Fostex TH500RP, HE-400i, etc...

And most of those headphones mentioned at least look better on measurements.

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #3,319 of 9,173
That is true, but I think they should be compared to other closed back headphones to be fair to them and for those that prefer some isolation over an open headphone design. But there is certainly a lot of competition in the market to be sure. I do think these offer quite a unique sound though, but as I said it will not be for everyone.

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #3,321 of 9,173
Has anyone compared the Z7 vs the Fidelio X2?

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #3,322 of 9,173
the pads are pleather right?
according to Sony they are leather.

I have not owned the X2 but did own the L2 and enjoy the Z7 a lot more, from the bass straight through to the treble I think the Z7 is a step up from the L2. In particular the bass is deeper and bigger with more texture and detail. The mids are more detailed, and the treble is more detailed and harder hitting while still being very easy to listen to for long listening sessions. This would be at medium to slightly loud volumes.

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #3,323 of 9,173
  That is true, but I think they should be compared to other closed back headphones to be fair to them and for those that prefer some isolation over an open headphone design. But there is certainly a lot of competition in the market to be sure. I do think these offer quite a unique sound though, but as I said it will not be for everyone.

Well, I did include closed-back alternatives... Alpha Dog, ZMFxVibro, Paradox Slants.

These modded T50RP headphones are almost everywhere now, and they offer some very competitive pricing. Almost unfairly so.

But again, I'm not dissing on the Z7. Sony has proven themselves capable of making a dynamic headphone that could compete at the top of the food chain with the R10. I guess... well, people really really really expected the Z7 to be a spiritual successor.

In a way, I think it is. It probably carries a part of the R10's strength (soundstage?), although there are also weaknesses.

At this point, I'm really inclined to pick one up so that I can mod it to death. I'm a sucker for comfortable headphones with relaxed sound.

But the fluctuating pricing (~$500 from Japan or $700 in the States) doesn't make the decision any easier. 

I'm just afraid I'll get it, and then unfairly compare it to the HE-560, which I know is going to be heavily skewed, because the 560 is just so much better

Nov 18, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #3,324 of 9,173
can anyone tell if they have as much bass as the srh1540? especially the midbasshump of the was too anoying for me. if the sony has the same quantity, i Need not aply...

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #3,325 of 9,173

Well, I did include closed-back alternatives... Alpha Dog, ZMFxVibro, Paradox Slants.

These modded T50RP headphones are almost everywhere now, and they offer some very competitive pricing. Almost unfairly so.

But again, I'm not dissing on the Z7. Sony has proven themselves capable of making a dynamic headphone that could compete at the top of the food chain with the R10. I guess... well, people really really really expected the Z7 to be a spiritual successor.

In a way, I think it is. It probably carries a part of the R10's strength (soundstage?), although there are also weaknesses.

At this point, I'm really inclined to pick one up so that I can mod it to death. I'm a sucker for comfortable headphones with relaxed sound.

But the fluctuating pricing (~$500 from Japan or $700 in the States) doesn't make the decision any easier. 

I'm just afraid I'll get it, and then unfairly compare it to the HE-560, which I know is going to be heavily skewed, because the 560 is just so much better

How can you draw so many conclusions about the Z7 when you admit you haven't even heard them yet?

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #3,327 of 9,173
He is trying to talk himself into buying one....:p

Nov 18, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #3,328 of 9,173

I'm not concluding anything about the Z7. I have repeatedly expressed my interest in it, yes?

Really? Here's just one example of you drawing conclusions about the Z7 without having heard them.

That sounds to me like you've already concluded that the HE-560 is "just so much better" than the Z7.

Anyhow, here's some of my own initial thoughts on the Z7.

My Z7's arrived during my time with the Canadian Oppo PM-1 loaner (brief impressions and comparison can be found here). Yes, the PM-1 bettered the Z7's in some regards but the Z7's have their own strengths and better suit what I've been looking for in a full-sized headphone. I'd also add that I've only had the Z7 for a week and I'd say that the they continue to get better with more play time and my impressions between the two were made fairly early on so the Z7's may close some of the gap in those areas I thought the PM-1 bettered it.

Initially I was put off by the Z7's bass. I like bass and tend to think that in comparison to high-end speaker setups and what I hear in real life, most headphones that are considered "neutral" don't present a realistic foundation for the music, but the Z7's seemed to be too much initially. As they get more hours on them though the bass seems to be settling down and tightening up.

Overall I'd say out of the box the Z7's sounded somewhat constrained through the midrange and treble with the treble also lacking some refinement (more so in comparison to the PM-1 than an overall lack of refinement), but with more hours on them they seem to be opening up more, the treble is evening out (although still not to the level of refinement of the PM-1's treble). The sound has become a more cohesive whole as opposed to distinct bass, midrange and treble. I've gone from initially thinking I'd likely just put them up for sale and try something else like the new Audio Technica W1000Z to now feeling very satisfied with the purchase. There's just something about the way the Z7's play music that draws me in.

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #3,329 of 9,173
can anyone tell if they have as much bass as the srh1540? especially the midbasshump of the was too anoying for me. if the sony has the same quantity, i Need not aply...
howdy sofastreamer, the bass on the Z7 is bigger than the 1540 so you probably will find it to be to much. To really know for sure if you can ever try a pair that is well used (100+ hours) would be best as they do seem to change as elnero stated in his post. But even the final sound of these may end be to bassy for you. But unlike the K545 these are not as v shaped, as the midrange is definitely fuller and warmer and they definitely have more definition and clarity. I actually sold my 1540 shortly before I got these because I just could not get into it's sound. There was something to sterile or missing about it. The Z7 on the other draws me. But part of that is undoubtedly the bass which may have the exact opposite effect for you. I hope you can hear a pair at a meet or a good store at some point to just see for yourself though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back