Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Nov 20, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #3,376 of 9,173

Awww come on my friend. That sounds like more of a praise than let down. I already know you don't like the th600, it is not my favorite either, but with all due respect the th600 is worth its current price for the simple fact that a lot of the current headphones in its price range can't beat it in technicalities and sound quality. There are the more likable ones but that is only according to personal preference. 

If the z7 beats the th600 technically then at 500 I better jump on it as soon as I can. 

The TH600 has much more treble and most people will probably prefer it. I find the TH600's treble disgusting and would rather have none (or close to none) than what it offers. The MDR-Z7 has a better presentation and is more comfortable. It's also built better. Otherwise, the TH600 is superior "technically".

Both are slaughtered by a 32 year old supra aural in every imaginable aspect except comfort. This is my problem with them; form is given priority and function takes the back seat. Given the choice between 3 hours of enjoyment before having to take them off, and mediocrity all day, I'd pick the former, and I don't understand why anyone would think otherwise.

But again, that's just my opinion. I'm generally a weird person, so YMMV.

Nov 20, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #3,377 of 9,173
  Honestly, these have their place on the market right now, I'd take them over the TH600 in all aspects (build, sound, comfort), at $50-100 less. 

I was just massively disappointed that they couldn't even match their grandfather, let alone fix its problems. I was hoping these would help Sony would pull themselves out of the recent hole they've dug themselves into and spark another era of excellence from them. But alas, it is not to be. Maybe they'll do something amazing with the PS4 or a new handheld.

I had the TH600 for closed to 6 months but decided to cut my losses as I couldn't get used to the bright and harsh treble and the suck-out mids.
I bought the TH600 for about US$830 while I paid about US$560 for the pre-order Z7, so value-wise, I hope I nail it this time with the Z7.

My Z7 should be here tomorrow and I will pit it again the HD800 and LCD-X, both with after-market balanced cable.
Hopefully the HA-1 can squeeze out the treble from the Z7.

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #3,378 of 9,173
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/728006/sonys-new-flagship-2014-mdr-z7/3375#post_11060709 layout=inline] [/CONTENTEMBED]
Awww come on my friend. That sounds like more of a praise than let down. I already know you don't like the th600, it is not my favorite either, but with all due respect the th600 is worth its current price for the simple fact that a lot of the current headphones in its price range can't beat it in technicalities and sound quality. There are the more likable ones but that is only according to personal preference. 

If the z7 beats the th600 technically then at 500 I better jump on it as soon as I can. 

The TH600 has much more treble and most people will probably prefer it. I find the TH600's treble disgusting and would rather have none (or close to none) than what it offers. The MDR-Z7 has a better presentation and is more comfortable. It's also built better. Otherwise, the TH600 is superior "technically".

Both are slaughtered by a 32 year old supra aural in every imaginable aspect except comfort. This is my problem with them; form is given priority and function takes the back seat. Given the choice between 3 hours of enjoyment before having to take them off, and mediocrity all day, I'd pick the former, and I don't understand why anyone would think otherwise.

But again, that's just my opinion. I'm generally a weird person, so YMMV.

Well I havent heard the z7 or old cintage cans but i do agree with you on the th600 for sure. I had it plugged into a nad vintage receiver with the treble turned down and them I enjoyed them. Just couldnt get the mids right.

Nov 20, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #3,379 of 9,173

I had the TH600 for closed to 6 months but decided to cut my losses as I couldn't get used to the bright and harsh treble and the suck-out mids.
I bought the TH600 for about US$830 while I paid about US$560 for the pre-order Z7, so value-wise, I hope I nail it this time with the Z7.

My Z7 should be here tomorrow and I will pit it again the HD800 and LCD-X, both with after-market balanced cable.
Hopefully the HA-1 can squeeze out the treble from the Z7.

I agree with the TH600 view except I did the opposite; I sent them to Mark Lawton.  So, I threw money at the problem.......lol

Nov 20, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #3,380 of 9,173
Have any owners paired the DX90 with the Z7?

I'm enjoying the DX90 with my Denon D600 (surprisingly good now that both have really opened up), but I'm looking to go further and have been eyeing the Z7 as at least a moderate step up with the '90.

Nov 20, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #3,381 of 9,173
I'm rocking z7 and dx90 everyday to work in the train. That is some very nice setup with adequate volume even with your quietest files and I do listen too loud! People beach about them leaking but I can say that in my filthfy smelling suburban commuting train you can't even discern what kind of music it is even when I push the volume at dangerously tympan threatening levels. The sound is very sweet with incredible bass definition and overall definition. Switching to my phone output if I forgot to change the battery is a punition.
I really don't feel the dx90 interface is great and I'm wondering about switching to rockbox. As for the cable, I made one for less than 40bux or if you have the bits it's practically free thanks to the standard plugs!

Nov 20, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #3,383 of 9,173
Good work Telecaster, as for leakage, even tho it has that huge port very little sound is leaked, its like some sort of SONY wizardry. 

It doesn't leak out a lot but it sure does let in quite a bit for a closed can, just like the Fostex TH600/900.
Not really a problem for me as this will be for home use when the missus doesn't want me to listen to my open-back cans

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #3,385 of 9,173
Thanks for the heads up, Telecaster; that makes me feel like I'm on the right path with the Z7.  The D600's does a pretty good job with presenting a wide and clear soundstage with a bit of bass so it'll be interesting to contrast it with the Z7 when the time comes.  

The only thing that I didn't like about the rockbox interface with the DX90 is that it is limited to 16 bit-- everything higher gets down-sampled.  What did you use for your custom cabling?

Nov 21, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #3,386 of 9,173
Thanks for the heads up, Telecaster; that makes me feel like I'm on the right path with the Z7.  The D600's does a pretty good job with presenting a wide and clear soundstage with a bit of bass so it'll be interesting to contrast it with the Z7 when the time comes.  

The only thing that I didn't like about the rockbox interface with the DX90 is that it is limited to 16 bit-- everything higher gets down-sampled.  What did you use for your custom cabling?

Hey Analog2Future, I had an opportunity to compare my D600 to the Z7. They were actually really close in presentation. the z7 mid range was more present, and in my quick comparison it seemed that the d600 bass hit a bit harder and even lower. Both quite spacious sounding for closed cans. Also, I'd say both equally comfortable.

I felt that the D600 covered enough similar ground and at a fraction of the price. Oh, and the D600 is much easier to drive.

Nov 21, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #3,387 of 9,173
It doesn't leak out a lot but it sure does let in quite a bit for a closed can, just like the Fostex TH600/900.
Not really a problem for me as this will be for home use when the missus doesn't want me to listen to my open-back cans

Not just like a TH600.  The TH600 lets in way, way more.  But Sony is heading in that direction...

Nov 21, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #3,390 of 9,173
  Just collected my Z7 after work today.
It will need to fight my other 2 heavyweights behind for some head time

I like my Z7 more after I got used to its sound signature. However I can't see Z7 as a competitor to HD800, and I have to say that they are not even close especially when gears level up. To me, HD800 is the best headphones that I have ever heard in the current market.

BUT this cannot change the fact that Z7 is a great pair of closed back headphones to burn my money after paying my monthly bill.

Hope you enjoy your Z7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back