Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Nov 21, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #3,391 of 9,173
I like my Z7 more after I got used to its sound signature. However I can't see Z7 as a competitor to HD800, and I have to say that they are not even close especially when gears level up. To me, HD800 is the best headphones that I have ever heard in the current market.

BUT this cannot change the fact that Z7 is a great pair of closed back headphones to burn my money after paying my monthly bill.

Hope you enjoy your Z7.

Been burning-in and had a few hours of headtime with the Z7 last night.
While it doesn't have the technical prowess as the HD800 or LCD-X, it sound signature is alluring and one can easily falls in love and get swept in music easily.
It is a good closed-back alternatives when I just want to relax and don't want to start disecting the music.
Previously I used TH600 as my closed-back can but I couldn't get used to the V-shaped SQ and sucked-out mids

Nov 21, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #3,392 of 9,173
  Thanks for the heads up, Telecaster; that makes me feel like I'm on the right path with the Z7.  The D600's does a pretty good job with presenting a wide and clear soundstage with a bit of bass so it'll be interesting to contrast it with the Z7 when the time comes.  

The only thing that I didn't like about the rockbox interface with the DX90 is that it is limited to 16 bit-- everything higher gets down-sampled.  What did you use for your custom cabling?

Great, I used some teflon with silver plated wire 24AWG I believe, 8 bread (4+4 that join), Rean plugs and some color heatshrink. Look great, maybe a little too great for the every morning and evening commuting. But I need a short cable and wasn't ready to pay the posh kimber ones!
 If I get the kimber, I will get the long single ended version. But really the stock cable looks, feels and sounds great already and is perfectly adequate for the big tube amp and sofa.

Nov 21, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #3,394 of 9,173

Great, I used some teflon with silver plated wire 24AWG I believe, 8 bread (4+4 that join), Rean plugs and some color heatshrink. Look great, maybe a little too great for the every morning and evening commuting. But I need a short cable and wasn't ready to pay the posh kimber ones!
 If I get the kimber, I will get the long single ended version. But really the stock cable looks, feels and sounds great already and is perfectly adequate for the big tube amp and sofa.

Nice work. Do the z7s sound any different with your cable vs. the stock one?

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #3,395 of 9,173
neat cable...doesnt look too glaring at all..well done !

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #3,396 of 9,173
You know it's a keeper when you suddenly stop analyzing its merits vs the other phones you own and start to close your eyes and get lost in its renditions.

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #3,397 of 9,173
You know it's a keeper when you suddenly stop analyzing its merits vs the other phones you own and start to close your eyes and get lost in its renditions.

This can happen with any headphone. The REAL test is how your other headphones sound after using it for a good, extended period of time. If you do this and find yourself wanting to go back to the MDR-Z7, you should probably hold onto it. If your other headphones immediately sound better than it, and continue to do so, you should probably move on. 

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #3,398 of 9,173

You know it's a keeper when you can't stop buying new CDs.

The CD quality of this track has such a full sound mid way through. So good.
Not everyone's cup of tea I'd expect.
Spiderbait - Wheres the bass line? 

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #3,399 of 9,173

Where are you getting your cables from? So you're thinking that moving from the D600 to the Z7 won't be too great of a jump for the money?

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #3,400 of 9,173
Have any owners compared the MDR1A with the Z7? I get that the Z7 is the flagship but I'm also curious as to where the MDR1A falls in relation to the Z7 considering it's driver is a smaller version of the Z7's driver. Has anyone heard both and could weigh in?

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #3,401 of 9,173
I briefly listened to the 1A the other day and it is brighter sounding I think and is not as big sounding. But I would need more time with them to give a good comparison.

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #3,402 of 9,173
I would love to try the 1A, but from what I remember of the 1R, Z7 is a universe above it.

Finally reached my time off and work, now to shower, scrub down my ears and enjoy the full sound of the Z7. This has to be love.

Nov 22, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #3,404 of 9,173
I had some time to spend with XBA-Z7 and to my ears they did not sounded as I hoped it to be upon further listening. Its major problem to me is lack of clarity and extension on the treble. Comparing to the TH900 it could not simply match it. While it is true that TH900 is much more expensive one can find it for 1099 USD or so and frankly for home usage I think paying the extra 200-300 dollars on TH900 is a much better investment than XBA-Z7.

Maybe Z7 is to be paired with the PHA-3 in order to sounds its best but today out of Lotoo PAW Gold it sounded not so good. 

Nov 22, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #3,405 of 9,173
^ but XBA-Z5 is an IEM right?
Sound a bit unfair you pitted it against a full size can in the caliber of TH900
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back