Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 10, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #1,517 of 9,173
Nice review.

I didn`t notice any sound coming out of those vents in my brief encounter with the Z7 earlier this week; I will give it a much closer check tomorrow.  

I need a closed HP, with as little leakage as possible. . . .  

Shure 1540 may have moved back into first place on my wish list.   

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #1,522 of 9,173
I placed a pre-order with Sony UK for the Z7 way back on 4 Sep, the website stating that delivery would be 9 - 10 Oct.  I checked the website this morning and it still says that the expected delivery date for my order is 9 - 10 Oct although for a new order it says "temporarily out of stock"   Today I contacted Sony UK as I had heard nothing from them since the order was confirmed, having expected to be notified that the order had been dispatched.  The operator I spoke to was very apologetic but he said that they were now expecting to deliver my order sometime in Dec this year.  The fact that I had to contact them to find this out is extremely poor customer service.  They know that they cannot deliver the headphones I ordered on the original schedule but they are unable to inform me of this?  Clearly they are hoping that I will just wait and wait until they are ready to fulfill the order, ignoring their lack of communication.  There has been a lot of talk here about poor strategy and management at Sony but if they cannot even get basic customer service right then they will never turn around their decline.  

The Z7 sounds like a really good, enjoyable headphone.  It's good looking, appears to be well made and so far everyone says it is very comfortable.  But if they want my money they have to deserve it and for me that means a good product and good customer service.  My experience here is of very poor customer service.

Needless to say the order is now cancelled.  I will look again at other closed - back options such as Alpha Dogs and Slants.

Col

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #1,523 of 9,173
I placed a pre-order with Sony UK for the Z7 way back on 4 Sep, the website stating that delivery would be 9 - 10 Oct.  I checked the website this morning and it still says that the expected delivery date for my order is 9 - 10 Oct although for a new order it says "temporarily out of stock"   Today I contacted Sony UK as I had heard nothing from them since the order was confirmed, having expected to be notified that the order had been dispatched.  The operator I spoke to was very apologetic but he said that they were now expecting to deliver my order sometime in Dec this year.  The fact that I had to contact them to find this out is extremely poor customer service.  They know that they cannot deliver the headphones I ordered on the original schedule but they are unable to inform me of this?  Clearly they are hoping that I will just wait and wait until they are ready to fulfill the order, ignoring their lack of communication.  There has been a lot of talk here about poor strategy and management at Sony but if they cannot even get basic customer service right then they will never turn around their decline.  

The Z7 sounds like a really good, enjoyable headphone.  It's good looking, appears to be well made and so far everyone says it is very comfortable.  But if they want my money they have to deserve it and for me that means a good product and good customer service.  My experience here is of very poor customer service.

Needless to say the order is now cancelled.  I will look again at other closed - back options such as Alpha Dogs and Slants.

Col

Sorry to hear about your negative experience with Sony, i have had that and whilst you will always get your money back they are absolute rubish and the prices stay inflated, not even in line with amazon,which does have z7 on preorder and you can easily return if you didn't like it.
Price japan is much cheaper and last time it went thru customs fine,i would recommend it.

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #1,524 of 9,173
Sorry to hear about your negative experience with Sony, i have had that and whilst you will always get your money back they are absolute rubish and the prices stay inflated, not even in line with amazon,which does have z7 on preorder and you can easily return if you didn't like it.
Price japan is much cheaper and last time it went thru customs fine,i would recommend it.

I appreciate the recommendation.

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #1,525 of 9,173
I expected the delay as this headphones seems like a product very awaited in this market. So I ordered from Japan which will also have delay in supplies it seems.

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #1,526 of 9,173
It wasn't the delay that angered me as like you I kind of expected a delay.  It was the fact that Sony UK could not be bothered to communicate with me about it.  It might sound a little petty but I refuse to do business with a company who treat their customers like this if I can possibly avoid it.  Bad customer service at purchase might also mean bad customer service if there is a defect or warranty issue.  

There are plenty of decent companies out there who get it right.  

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #1,527 of 9,173
I'm hoping to hear more details from people who are attending RMAF and CanJam.  Sony is in attendance, and I hope they are sharing more information on real release dates...

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #1,528 of 9,173
  Nice review.

I didn`t notice any sound coming out of those vents in my brief encounter with the Z7 earlier this week; I will give it a much closer check tomorrow.  

I need a closed HP, with as little leakage as possible. . . .  

Shure 1540 may have moved back into first place on my wish list.   

Do note that the SRH1540s also leak quite a bit... (unsure if it's due to design or alcantara pads...)
Best isolation/low leakage headphones I've tried: Ultrasone Sig DJs, MrSpeakers Mad Dogs/Alpha Dogs, LFF Enigma's, Beyer T5p and a few other 'bassy' options...

wow what a translation. Has to be the best translation I have read. I will order these in a couple of hours!

Nice!!
I'm still thinking about it, but the Ultrasones somehow call on to me more...

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #1,529 of 9,173
Did you actually order them grizzly? Someone said like an he-500 and if that's the truth them omg a lighter, airer he-500 would have people drooling. Myself included. However I worry that the he-500 sound is not ppossible out of a dynamic driver lol but I could be wrong.

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #1,530 of 9,173
yes i did!!!. I think someone said they are reading like the balance is like an he500. But I agree. Its one of my favorite balances ever. Specially since the mids are full but not too thick. 

@gelocks I am curious about those but they are in a different price tier as these right, same price tier as the mh40? They look pretty nice though. I can't have everything

Users who are viewing this thread

Back