Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 10, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #1,531 of 9,173

Do note that the SRH1540s also leak quite a bit... (unsure if it's due to design or alcantara pads...)

I believe you.  Just tonight I was doing listening comparisons of the 1540, the TH600 and the Senn DJ HD8 or whatever it`s called, which despite all the mediocre reviews is actually quite damned fine, IMO.  Anyway, the Senn isolated far far more than the 1540, in the noisy shop I was in.  And the TH600 doesn`t isolate at all, like an open HP, just like my old Denon d2k that it looks so much like. So yes, I guess the 1540 must leak some.  Really hoping the Z7 doesn`t leak all over the place like a happy puppy.  

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #1,532 of 9,173
"Its release date is Oct 18.

We will ship it on Oct 18-20."

Do note that the SRH1540s also leak quite a bit... (unsure if it's due to design or alcantara pads...)

I believe you.  Just tonight I was doing listening comparisons of the 1540, the TH600 and the Senn DJ HD8 or whatever it`s called, which despite all the mediocre reviews is actually quite damned fine, IMO.  Anyway, the Senn isolated far far more than the 1540, in the noisy shop I was in.  And the TH600 doesn`t isolate at all, like an open HP, just like my old Denon d2k that it looks so much like. So yes, I guess the 1540 must leak some.  Really hoping the Z7 doesn`t leak all over the place like a happy puppy.  

Its not the pads. I had them on the zmf v.1 and they became one of the best hps todate interms of low leakage. I was surprised.

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #1,533 of 9,173
"Its release date is Oct 18.

We will ship it on Oct 18-20."

It was curious to see in the headphone-maniac shop I was in today in Tokyo that the Z7 promo poster had 10/24 crossed out and 10/18 written in by hand. So they readied it for release AHEAD of time?  

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #1,534 of 9,173
I wonder if Amazon will have these available with prime shipping on the 18. I can afford toget them now through price Japan since they are only 552 and shipping but will have to sell my denon ah-d600s if I want to get them through Amazon US. I'm not worried about isolation at all thankfully although generally it helps the finer details stick out if you've got a lot of background noise. I'm going to have to find a better alternative to the microphone situation for gaming other than the ridiculous zalman mic setup. I tried calling bluejeanscable to see if they could custom make me a cable for my denons that would be a 4 pin 3.5 bottom and 2 pin 3.5 on left and mono on the right so I could rig a vmoda mic to it but they couldn't do it lol. Sorry for the rant but I'm on pumped which seems ridiculous on my part as this is the first time ordering a headphone that I haven't seen the graphs for or read any full reviews. Just goes to show what good advertisement commercials can do.

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #1,535 of 9,173
I wonder if Amazon will have these available with prime shipping on the 18. I can afford toget them now through price Japan since they are only 552 and shipping but will have to sell my denon ah-d600s if I want to get them through Amazon US. 

I'm finding the AH-D600 make an excellent gaming headphone. I use my built-in mic on my Macbook so it works in that regard. 

Not sure if I'd part with D600 though, they are so comfortable and are one of my most worn headphones. They get even more time than my HD650, mostly as they are comfy and are plug-and-play (no amp required). 

Very interested to hear the MDR-Z7 though. 

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #1,536 of 9,173

As far as I know, headphone with the least leak sound is Sony Z1000

Unfortunetly, sound wise I prefer Z7 anyday anytime compare to Z1k.

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #1,537 of 9,173
D600 is pretty dry, vocals are too distant on a lot of tracks and it gets pretty confused quickly and is lacking in the detail department. However it definitely isn't a bad headphone that I dislike, it's just not good enough to keep if I need the money for my summit can. the mic doesn't work with my astro mixamp. Even if it did, the mic does not noise cancel very well and my kids are pretty loud lol. If it didn't bother my friends online I would just use the ear buds that came with my wife's Samsung phone. They are almost identical in SQ and work good with Dolby audio

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #1,539 of 9,173
Did you actually order them grizzly? Someone said like an he-500 and if that's the truth them omg a lighter, airer he-500 would have people drooling. Myself included. However I worry that the he-500 sound is not ppossible out of a dynamic driver lol but I could be wrong.

I think a lighter, airier HE-500 would be the HE-560 with Focus Pads A.

But in any case, I couldn't pass up on the $580-ish that Price Japan was asking for, and took the plunge.

Because if I wait until release date, it'd be $699 + tax + shipping for me, which translates to close to $800 after all is said and done.

If they get shipped promptly, I'll have a comparison to HE-560 coming up.

Grizzly, I think you'll want to know my impressions of the HE-560 w/ Focus Pads A and the Yulong A28 against the Z7.

beerchug.gif

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #1,540 of 9,173
I will probably wait then for reviews because getting them. That much cheaper is going to help me out a lot. I was worried about price japan's return policy and didn't know if they accepted PayPal. . Amazon would be easy to send back and I would get the money back quickly and then just order a demo 560 from audioadvisor

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #1,541 of 9,173
Did you actually order them grizzly? Someone said like an he-500 and if that's the truth them omg a lighter, airer he-500 would have people drooling. Myself included. However I worry that the he-500 sound is not ppossible out of a dynamic driver lol but I could be wrong.

I think a lighter, airier HE-500 would be the HE-560 with Focus Pads A.

But in any case, I couldn't pass up on the $580-ish that Price Japan was asking for, and took the plunge.

Because if I wait until release date, it'd be $699 + tax + shipping for me, which translates to close to $800 after all is said and done.

If they get shipped promptly, I'll have a comparison to HE-560 coming up.

Grizzly, I think you'll want to know my impressions of the HE-560 w/ Focus Pads A and the Yulong A28 against the Z7.

:beerchug:  

Yes ...try not to make me jealous!

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #1,544 of 9,173
I gotta say. These headphones look really exciting, and I've been thinking about updating my travel Rig. These MDR's look like a set of CANs that you can take on the go to me. Only 87 ohms I believe?
Surely a ADL X1 amp/DAC or a FiiO E 17 could manage to properly bring these Z7's to life. Love to hear what others think.

Oh and question. Because the MDR's have a built in DAC with in them would pairing them with an amp that has a built in DAC with it be like what the Ghostbusters would say, 'Crossing the streams?' Meaning would this be a bad thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back