Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jul 10, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #8,072 of 9,173
If you can afford it get the PHA-3. It is better/same as Sony's latest DAP which is almost 3x the cost. Same with the overear. The expensive 2017 flagship is marginally better if at all and costs 5x as much as the Z7

So yeah, get the PHA-3.

Thanks for the prompt reply Hawaiibadboy, I did test the PHA-3 at the main sony store, sadly they have issues connecting my dap (XDP-300R) to the pha3 using balanced cables. (I sort of gave up looking at them trying to figure out for like 10 minutes -.- )
Is there a proper setup for this to my DAP?
(And also how do you connect the pha-3 to the desktop as well?)

Furthermore, playback on the XDP-300R alone with the pha-3 with normal 3.5mm jack was not good, I have to drive the volume knob of the pha-3 to 3 o clock to get a normal hearing volume which was odd....

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #8,074 of 9,173
Thanks for the prompt reply Hawaiibadboy, I did test the PHA-3 at the main sony store, sadly they have issues connecting my dap (XDP-300R) to the pha3 using balanced cables. (I sort of gave up looking at them trying to figure out for like 10 minutes -.- )
Is there a proper setup for this to my DAP?
(And also how do you connect the pha-3 to the desktop as well?)

Furthermore, playback on the XDP-300R alone with the pha-3 with normal 3.5mm jack was not good, I have to drive the volume knob of the pha-3 to 3 o clock to get a normal hearing volume which was odd....

I think Whitigir can help more than me. I only use the PHA-3 with a note 4. Never use as an interface to a DAP or PC. It definitely has more power in balanced and is not really a powerhouse but it has plenty of power for me .

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #8,075 of 9,173
Xdp-300R is an android based player. You need an OTG micro USB into another micro USB to use with Pha-3, if you want to do digital decoding. I don't know where you can find it, but it would be easier to buy an adapter from female USB type A into male micro USB and use OTG USB cable to connect it.

If you use analog line-in, the Pha-3 can not output Balanced out as it has no capability of splitting and inverting the signals to split it into dual channels. It can only do Balanced out when you feed it Digitally.

When connect your Laptop or PC, you need a driver installed and connect it on the correct port. Mac you connect it to Apple approved port without the need of driver installed. You can connect iPad, iPod, iPhones without using camera kit into it as it is certified by Apple.

Pha-3 is very sensitive in USB connections, such wiggling and moving the cables may stop it from charging...for example. Beside that, it does benefit with upgraded USB cables.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #8,076 of 9,173
I have used the PHA-3 with my Z7 via a balanced cable made by @Whitigir, just above, and it is delicious. I have been able to connect the PHA-3 to my Windows 10 PC via the USB... there is a driver available on the Sony PHA-3 support site.

Jul 10, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #8,077 of 9,173
just received my z7's, awesome cans right out of the box!

Slight "flapping" sound in right channel and humm if the amp is maxed out, which i didnt hear with my hifiman he400i's

edit: ah just interference from my modem, problem gone. :)

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #8,078 of 9,173
How would modded Z7s compare to the HE-500?

I have the HE-500 but lust after the Z7's comfort, build quality, looks, etc.

I found some old comments in this thread, but several were speculation and the rest were probably written before Z7 mods like Currawong's were developed.

Thanks

When I was listening to He-500s, I was missing Z7's low section.
When I was listening to Z7, I was missing 500's high section.
Both of them have excellent mids.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #8,080 of 9,173
When I was listening to He-500s, I was missing Z7's low section.
When I was listening to Z7, I was missing 500's high section.
Both of them have excellent mids.

Interesting. When I use the HE-500s I think they have plenty of deep, thumping bass. Maybe I should just stick with them :)

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #8,081 of 9,173
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a shorter cable than the stock one - it takes over my desk lol!. It must be 9 feet long, 3-4 would be more than enough for me at my desk. I don't have a balanced amp, just a Fulla 2( all I can afford for now), but I can terminate in 1/4" or 3.5mm. Not looking to spend crazy money, but I am interested in decent colorful options, a multi-color braided would be great.

Thanks!

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #8,082 of 9,173
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a shorter cable than the stock one - it takes over my desk lol!. It must be 9 feet long, 3-4 would be more than enough for me at my desk. I don't have a balanced amp, just a Fulla 2( all I can afford for now), but I can terminate in 1/4" or 3.5mm. Not looking to spend crazy money, but I am interested in decent colorful options, a multi-color braided would be great.

Thanks!
Maybe you could make one? That's what I did since the 9ft is just too long for listening while tipyng away at my desk

Jul 14, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #8,083 of 9,173

Thanks!
If you can live without multi color, let me suggest Forzaaudioworks to you.

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #8,084 of 9,173
The sound of MDR z7 gets more and more addictive.
I have been listening for a week, and found me more with Z7 than Beyerdynamic T1, He-500, X2, and Nighthawk.
My Z7 is in stoke form without any modification.

Especially for big band music like Mahler, and Bruckner's orchestral music.
It is addictive.

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #8,085 of 9,173
The sound of MDR z7 gets more and more addictive.
I have been listening for a week, and found me more with Z7 than Beyerdynamic T1, He-500, X2, and Nighthawk.
My Z7 is in stoke form without any modification.

Especially for big band music like Mahler, and Bruckner's orchestral music.
It is addictive.
MY Z7 are also in stock form, No mods. Maybe the only "mod" is that I changed the cable for balanced MDR-Z1R Cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back