Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jun 17, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #8,043 of 9,173
I still use mine in stock form. I'm thinking about getting a silver cable though. But to me they sound good in stock form coming out of iCan Pro.

Jun 17, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #8,044 of 9,173
I also use it in stock form. But I use it balanced out of my WM1A with the stock balanced cable from my Z1R. If cables alter the sound, it is only by small nuances I think.

Jun 17, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #8,045 of 9,173
I also use it in stock form. But I use it balanced out of my WM1A with the stock balanced cable from my Z1R. If cables alter the sound, it is only by small nuances I think.
I find the same, the Z1R cables give you small details a lift

Jun 18, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #8,046 of 9,173
Since everyone keeps saying z7 are easy to drive, does than incline a iPhone would give it "higher" volumes? Unfortunately I have never got to try them, but I have been wondering how they would do as a gaming headset. Do you think these would get sufficient volumes straight out of the PS4 Dualshock4 controller?
I have a pair of Fidelio X2 and ath-m50x and full volume on the controller is far to much, usually keeps at 60-80%

(I have an Hamp, but when not using speakers I find it better just to use the controller output since gaming audio is what it is... And getting and almost wireless headset)

I have seen the "medical tape mod" on YouTube and if that clears up the sound a little I think it would be worth it, also I have a hard time believing these are as bad as some have said in the past, maybe to expensive.. but I have the chance to get these for 399$ now! Should I?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #8,047 of 9,173
Since everyone keeps saying z7 are easy to drive, does than incline a iPhone would give it "higher" volumes? Unfortunately I have never got to try them, but I have been wondering how they would do as a gaming headset. Do you think these would get sufficient volumes straight out of the PS4 Dualshock4 controller?
I have a pair of Fidelio X2 and ath-m50x and full volume on the controller is far to much, usually keeps at 60-80%

(I have an Hamp, but when not using speakers I find it better just to use the controller output since gaming audio is what it is... And getting and almost wireless headset)

I have seen the "medical tape mod" on YouTube and if that clears up the sound a little I think it would be worth it, also I have a hard time believing these are as bad as some have said in the past, maybe to expensive.. but I have the chance to get these for 399$ now! Should I?
To get you a picture about the power requirements of the Z7, I charged my trusty old IPod Classic. It is the EU capped version. On full volume it is far too loud for me. I only need 70% volume. The sound is bassy, dynamic and very pleasant to me. And the Classic is the reason I started on this site. I got a headphone amp to be able to drive the AKG K401 that I had in 2007. So the Z7 and his bigger brother Z1r can run from a banana someone stated in the Z1r thread. Your iPhone should easily drive the Z7.

Jun 18, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #8,048 of 9,173
That's easier than I expected.. Have a Classic myself, s160 with rockbox.
Also got a Fiio X3ii for portable so that will at least suffice.

Haven't had time to read the whole thread yet. Does the pads hold up good/perfectly? :)
Page back I saw people talking replacements, because of modding or actually replacing?

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #8,049 of 9,173
Haven't had time to read the whole thread yet. Does the pads hold up good/perfectly? :)
Page back I saw people talking replacements, because of modding or actually replacing?

The pads last a longtime, probably the lifetime if you are good to your cans. I got a set for a rainy day simply because I could and not because I had to. I think the other poster got new pads due to heavy use.

Jun 27, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #8,050 of 9,173
Z7.jpg

I got a modded set in route and will do a video review pretty soon.

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #8,051 of 9,173
Jul 5, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #8,053 of 9,173
Anyone doing gaming with these? These are on a nice sale and might wanna just buy & try, i like my hifiman he400i's to death but these suck at gaming.

My setup would be like: Pc (tidal) -> schiit modi uber -> Lyr 2-> sony's

Also, if any metalhead has these, how does the music sound? :p thanks

edit, eh what the hell, for 320€ i dont think i've made any mistake, so i bought these :D

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #8,054 of 9,173
Anyone doing gaming with these? These are on a nice sale and might wanna just buy & try, i like my hifiman he400i's to death but these suck at gaming.

My setup would be like: Pc (tidal) -> schiit modi uber -> Lyr 2-> sony's

Also, if any metalhead has these, how does the music sound? :p thanks

edit, eh what the hell, for 320€ i dont think i've made any mistake, so i bought these :D

I joined the Z7 club a long time ago and these are awesome! I'm also a metalhead and these have enough bass to enjoy blastbeats but don't overpower anything else, although that is my personal opinion

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #8,055 of 9,173
How would modded Z7s compare to the HE-500?

I have the HE-500 but lust after the Z7's comfort, build quality, looks, etc.

I found some old comments in this thread, but several were speculation and the rest were probably written before Z7 mods like Currawong's were developed.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back