Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jul 9, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #8,056 of 9,173
IMGP6252.JPG

Using the iDSD BL right now and these hammer and purrrrrrrr. Good stuff!!

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #8,057 of 9,173

Using the iDSD BL right now and these hammer and purrrrrrrr. Good stuff!!

I'm looking to add the Micro iDSD BL to my collection. I'm in the process of selling both my Centrance HiFi-M8 and my Oppo HA-2SE to get it. By the way, what cable is that you have on your Z7's?

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #8,062 of 9,173
Yeah, IMO, a used Z7 and throw mods on it - very sophisticated basshead headphones, and affordably so

With mods can the sound come close to Z1R level?

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #8,063 of 9,173
With mods can the sound come close to Z1R level?

It shares similar traits, but there are something uniquely presenting on Z1R that Z7 modded can't achieve.

1/ Soundstage presentations, Z1R has wider, taller presentation
2/ Bass orientations, Z1R has more engaging mid bass and Sub bass. What I call is that Z7 signatures seem to make some bass pop out in a lively way, Z1R has more of it, and offers more sub-bass finesses
3/ Treble textures, Z1R has thicker, more textures into lower treble and more sparkles with a bit more extensions
4/ Z1R has more isolations than Z7 modded, because of this, Z1R also present a more "hall like atmosphere" in comparison to modded Z7 which has a more "opened atmosphere"
Though, Z1R has a very bulky housing, which makes lying on the couch or bed impossible to enjoy, while a modified Z7 can easily do so

Z1R is a matured version of Z7 for sure

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #8,064 of 9,173
It shares similar traits, but there are something uniquely presenting on Z1R that Z7 modded can't achieve.

1/ Soundstage presentations, Z1R has wider, taller presentation
2/ Bass orientations, Z1R has more engaging mid bass and Sub bass. What I call is that Z7 signatures seem to make some bass pop out in a lively way, Z1R has more of it, and offers more sub-bass finesses
3/ Treble textures, Z1R has thicker, more textures into lower treble and more sparkles with a bit more extensions
4/ Z1R has more isolations than Z7 modded, because of this, Z1R also present a more "hall like atmosphere" in comparison to modded Z7 which has a more "opened atmosphere"
Though, Z1R has a very bulky housing, which makes lying on the couch or bed impossible to enjoy, while a modified Z7 can easily do so

Wow, the Z1R's seems like the next logical upgrade path for me. It seems to best Z7's at everything and the Z7's sound very good in unmodded form to me. I just want to add a silver cable to bring out more of the top end. But after reading your comments I might save that money and put it towards purchasing the Z1R's. Based on the sound improvements that the Z1R's have over the Z7's do you think it's worth having both headphones?

Jul 9, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #8,065 of 9,173
Wow, the Z1R's seems like the next logical upgrade path for me. It seems to best Z7's at everything and the Z7's sound very good in unmodded form to me. I just want to add a silver cable to bring out more of the top end. But after reading your comments I might save that money and put it towards purchasing the Z1R's. Based on the sound improvements that the Z1R's have over the Z7's do you think it's worth having both headphones?

Not likely, it will show you how bad the Z7 unmodded sound like. Unless you want to modify your Z7, which IMO will edge out only in practicality (bring it anywhere you want to due to the lower prices), form/functions (if you want to sleep in bed with any headphones, Z7 is the one). Ultimately, sound performances, Z1R is truly a successor of Z7.

Jul 9, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #8,066 of 9,173
Not likely, it will show you how bad the Z7 unmodded sound like. Unless you want to modify your Z7, which IMO will edge out only in practicality (bring it anywhere you want to due to the lower prices), form/functions (if you want to sleep in bed with any headphones, Z7 is the one). Ultimately, sound performances, Z1R is truly a successor of Z7.

Thanks for the replies @Whitigir. I appreciate you taking the time to explain what I think are the key differences between Sony's top two headphone products. At some point I'll use the Z7's as a trade-in to get the Z1R's or pass them down to family member who can appreciate them and is not addicted to audio like me.

Jul 9, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #8,067 of 9,173
Thanks for the replies @Whitigir. I appreciate you taking the time to explain what I think are the key differences between Sony's top two headphone products. At some point I'll use the Z7's as a trade-in to get the Z1R's or pass them down to family member who can appreciate them and is not addicted to audio like me.
You are very welcome, and yes, it sounds like you have a very solid plan

Jul 9, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #8,068 of 9,173
  • I have both cans, the Z7 and the Z1r.
  • Both are not modded.
  • I found this review very interesting:

• and that guy has the Z1r for review too, but only published his burn in approach so far, but still interesting:

• is it usefull to keep the Z7 once you got the Z1r? My Z7 gets less and less headtime, but you never know the Z7 is the closest can to the Z1r........

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #8,069 of 9,173
  • I have both cans, the Z7 and the Z1r.
  • Both are not modded.
  • I found this review very interesting:

• and that guy has the Z1r for review too, but only published his burn in approach so far, but still interesting:

• is it usefull to keep the Z7 once you got the Z1r? My Z7 gets less and less headtime, but you never know the Z7 is the closest can to the Z1r........

I've watched a lot of Z Review's. He has an entertaining and interesting review style that draws you in and keeps you looking. I think my Z7's will tide me over until I decide to upgrade them to the Z1R's. The Z7's are so smooth at what they do. I can only imagine what the Z1R experience will be like once I get a set.

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #8,070 of 9,173
Proud owner of the Sony Z7 here, having finally owned a decent pair of cans, there is plenty of good audio that I have never ever heard in my life with my previous headphones before.
Not sure if this is a good point to state here, since I have no good amps (Was thinking of getting the Sony PHA-3 to properly experience sound with the balanced cables), I have a external sound card, the creative sound blaster zxr. I got to say it still drives the headphones well.

Any comments on whether if I should use the sound card I have currently? Or should I change it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back