Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jul 29, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #5,431 of 9,173

I'd hold out a couple more weeks if considering anything Schiit.  I have a hunch there may be another budget option available soon.  Its only a hunch but it couldn't hurt to wait till the Schiit Show...

I also wonder how the Aune B1 would be with the Z7s....

I'm considering anything in general. I currently have a Fiio e09k, and well, yeah. I'm not even using it at the moment. I'm using the ACM that came with my SoundBlaster Zx. It was fine for my old K702, but the current HE-560 I'm trying it does not have enough juice. I've been trying to replace the e09k for quite a while, but am unsure of what to pick.

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #5,432 of 9,173

I'm considering anything in general. I currently have a Fiio e09k, and well, yeah. I'm not even using it at the moment. I'm using the ACM that came with my SoundBlaster Zx. It was fine for my old K702, but the current HE-560 I'm trying it does not have enough juice. I've been trying to replace the e09k for quite a while, but am unsure of what to pick.

If you want to keep the Zune, and wanna go Schiit you could try out the Asgard2 fed by either the Zune or the Zx line out. The Zx DAC is not bad at all. And for gaming or movies you can use the SBX software which is quite good in simulating surround on headphones.

Jul 29, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #5,433 of 9,173

If you want to keep the Zune, and wanna go Schiit you could try out the Asgard2 fed by either the Zune or the Zx line out. The Zx DAC is not bad at all. And for gaming or movies you can use the SBX software which is quite good in simulating surround on headphones.

Oh I don't need to go Schiit, I just saw the good deal on one and asked about it. They are good looking though, much more attractive than my Fiio e09k.

As I said before, I'm looking for something that will pair well with the z7 and/or whatever is next. So, I'm open to suggestion.

Jul 29, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #5,434 of 9,173

Oh I don't need to go Schiit, I just saw the good deal on one and asked about it. They are good looking though, much more attractive than my Fiio e09k.

As I said before, I'm looking for something that will pair well with the z7 and/or whatever is next. So, I'm open to suggestion.

For portable the Cayin C5 for $150 is a very good choice with amazing bass.  Didn't hear it with the Z7 as I sold the Sony before I got it but it's the best portable amp I've had (out of about 10). 

Jul 30, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #5,437 of 9,173
  How about for non-portable use?

All I use for non-portable is vintage speaker amps (8 systems in total in use in various places at home and work) so I'm not the best to recommend "headphone amps".  Out of vintage they sound excellent and with tone controls and loudness switches you can tailor the sound to meet almost any need.

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #5,438 of 9,173
  Ok guys, I think I need a DAC/AMP for this that is not outrageously priced. 3-400 total. Once I get it from Massdrop it will be connected to my PC which is running a SoundBlaster Zx (the one with the audio control module).

What would you guys suggest?

Pono maybe? This combo (Pono+Z7 balanced) is hard to beat.

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #5,439 of 9,173
I really like the Z7 with Oppo HA-2.

Pono player and Z7 balanced is incredible. This combo is golden.

Pono maybe? This combo (Pono+Z7 balanced) is hard to beat.

I can confirm that for the price of the Pono player, it's a complete ''no-brainer''
smily_headphones1.gif

Z7 balanced out of a Pono imo sounds way better than Z7 single ended out of my TEAC HA-501, RudiStor RP5.1 or even Chord Hugo...it just takes the Z7 to another level of performance...

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #5,440 of 9,173

I can confirm that for the price of the Pono player, it's a complete ''no-brainer''
smily_headphones1.gif

Z7 balanced out of a Pono imo sounds way better than Z7 single ended out of my TEAC HA-501, RudiStor RP5.1 or even Chord Hugo...it just takes the Z7 to another level of performance...

As you are inside the EU, where did you get the PONO?

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #5,441 of 9,173
As you are inside the EU, where did you get the PONO?

I picked mine up in the classifieds: http://www.head-fi.org/t/756071/pono-player-limited-edition-red-hot-chili-peppers-291
Within the hour after he posted it, we had a deal...I considered myself very lucky that day
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #5,442 of 9,173
  I picked mine up in the classifieds: http://www.head-fi.org/t/756071/pono-player-limited-edition-red-hot-chili-peppers-291
Within the hour after he posted it, we had a deal...I considered myself very lucky that day
biggrin.gif

That is great to hear. Lucky you that it was already in Amsterdam.

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #5,444 of 9,173
Hey guys,

So after an audition I am seriously considering the MDR-Z7's. I love the look, feel and build quality as well as the sound. As a result I am also looking at possible desktop amp/dac combos that would have good synergy with them. I decided against the PHA-3 because I don't want to be constantly charging it (I looked around for the AC model for purchase in the US but could not find it). I thought it would be best to post in the official thread to crowdsource a resolution to my search. 

There is a catch: I need the dac (or amp/dac integrated amplifier) to have an optical input so I can use it with my PS4. I have read MadLustEnvy's headphone gaming guide, perused the thread related to that and am aware of the amps/dacs recommended there. What I'm looking for is an all-in-one audio set-up that can be used with my games, movies and music. Furthermore, the Amp/Dac combo would ideally have a balanced cable input for the stock balanced cable that comes with the Z7's. I realize this is may be some niche criteria that is difficult to fulfill but I thought I would try my luck in this thread just for the heck of it.

Thanks for taking the time to read/respond!

Jul 31, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #5,445 of 9,173
I have to say the PH3 with balanced cables & hi res music sounds very good. But you are right with regards to the recharging it is a bit of a pain. I liked the Z7 with the Grace M903 too, although it is not suited to balanced cables, the issue with the Z7 balanced cables is they only work with the PH3/2/1 family unless you modify the plugs.
I think the new Grace M920 would be an excellent all in one possibility. I haven't heard the M920 so I'm speculating based on my experience with the M903.
Another candidate and cheaper still might be the Pioneer U05-S - I have not heard this amp however it does have balanced in & some of the Pioneer SE- Master 1 headphone owners are liking what they hear with the SE-M1 h/p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back