Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jul 28, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #5,417 of 9,173
I use the IFI Ican with my Z7 and it's a great combo IMO and cost less than $300 usually around $260 or so.

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #5,418 of 9,173
Jul 28, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #5,420 of 9,173
Get something like a Fiio X3II or X5II, you can use them as a DAC for you PC and as the DAP.

I just got the new X3II and it sounds great as a DAP and USB DAC. I also like to use the line out for a portable or desktop amp, I have my C&C BH hooked up now and it sounds really good with the Z7.

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #5,423 of 9,173
The C&C BH is a portable amp about the size of the Fiio E11. I first heard about it about 2 years ago. Its quite good with plenty of power to run anything from 32ohm to 300ohm with a solid uncolored sound. You can find reviews on here of it and price was around $90 give or take but might be cheaper now.

If I'm not mistaken, there's now a Version 2 which tweaks some of the specs of the previous model.
Their main "claim to fame" is extraordinary battery life, 60+ hours (supposedly).

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #5,424 of 9,173
Yeah I've looked at the so called 2nd version and it looks to have the same specs as the other. I can confirm the battery has the longest life of any portable product I've used, I don't know if its really 60 hours but I've gone over 20 before I charged it and it still had power to go longer.

I like it better than my old E11 because its not warm sounding like the Fiio was. There's better portable amps of course but for under $100 its the best I've used.

Jul 29, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #5,425 of 9,173
  Yeah I've looked at the so called 2nd version and it looks to have the same specs as the other. I can confirm the battery has the longest life of any portable product I've used, I don't know if its really 60 hours but I've gone over 20 before I charged it and it still had power to go longer.

I like it better than my old E11 because its not warm sounding like the Fiio was. There's better portable amps of course but for under $100 its the best I've used.

I also had the 2nd version for some months (used it with a DX50) and can confirm that it's ''bang for buck''....I also would be surprised if there is another amp out there performing better under $100

When I bought it they advertised 80hrs and I think it comes pretty close to that. The first time the battery died on me after some weeks, I thought it was broke for a moment. Almost forgot you had to charge it sometimes
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #5,426 of 9,173
I've been comparing the Z7 to my HD600 and if the Z7 had a bit more crispness in the highs, they'd sound very close to the HD600 in sound signature. The HD600 has a more forward midrange but they both sound a lot alike and that's why I think I like the Z7 so much because I had always loved the HD600. Now I can't say one sounds better than the other, there's just a few subtle differences. The HD600 has a wider soundstage of course but I feel the Z7 has a bit better depth and a better 3D presentation. I also think the Z7 wins in imaging just by a little bit. They both sound great but the HD600 has just a slightly more lively sound with more sparkle in the treble but the Z7 has more bass impact and depth. For me this is a perfect open and closed pair of headphones because the sound signatures are exactly how I like it and both sound clean with good detail

Sounds like a better comparison would be with the HD650, as they have more lows and slightly less crisp highs than an HD600. Though in a comparison with the SRH1540 the reviewer said they had similar highs. The Shure is not rolled off on top however.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #5,427 of 9,173

Just a random question, how would Schiit Modni 2 and Magni 2 work for my usage? They are sexy.

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #5,428 of 9,173
Just a random question, how would Schiit Modni 2 and Magni 2 work for my usage? They are sexy.

A friend of mine has them. They have plenty of power and can run the Z7. But to me the sound was too bass heavy and not too refined. More like a raw powerhouse.

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #5,429 of 9,173
A friend of mine has them. They have plenty of power and can run the Z7. But to me the sound was too bass heavy and not too refined. More like a raw powerhouse.

So, in general it's a bass heavy amp/dac regardless of what it's connected to? There's a sweet deal for the pair near me. Less than the cost of one of them retail.

What would you recommend as an amp/dac then? I don't necessarily want to replace my DAP yet as I'm still very pleased with my Zune HD, unless there is a very compelling reason to upgrade.

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #5,430 of 9,173

I'd hold out a couple more weeks if considering anything Schiit.  I have a hunch there may be another budget option available soon.  Its only a hunch but it couldn't hurt to wait till the Schiit Show...

I also wonder how the Aune B1 would be with the Z7s....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back