Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jul 26, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #5,401 of 9,173

I think that might just be your perception...I certainly don't get the same impressions. I think the Z7s are quite good (overall the treble on the TH900s saw me selling them and keeping the Z7s). I haven't heard the closed EL-8s, but the Z7s compete quite well with the open EL-8s. 

Fair enough. I saw these were on Massdrop and have been looking for reason to buy sight unseen(heard)...

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #5,402 of 9,173
Fair enough. I saw these were on Massdrop and have been looking for reason to buy sight unseen(heard)...

I'm struggling with the same thing. At 500, these would be great. Not keen on the msrp of 700 though. I liked these cans, but I can't get two at the moment. I know it's a great deal, but there's something unsettling about if I buy them and can't return if something goes wrong or whatever.

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #5,403 of 9,173
So, ended up selling my Z7's to my brother as I like the HD-800's so much more (at least right now). I guess whenever I feel the need for a closed headphone I might pick up either another pair of the Z7's or possibly the TH-900's or w/e is the popular flagship closed headphone at that point in time. They definitely were very nice during the seven months I had them and were one of the most comfortable headphones I've tried.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #5,404 of 9,173
The Z7s are my most recent acquisition. They do not appear to need an amp, but out of my GO450 sound a little better than out of my SGS5. Especially the bass.

Of course, they are not perfect, but for me they are better all around than the TH900s (which I also have owned). BTW, the best bass
wink_face.gif
 from a dynamic driver (I have never heard the R10's). 

The 3D sound is excellent (all my others sealed cans are claustrophobic in comparison).

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #5,405 of 9,173
  The Z7s are my most recent acquisition. They do not appear to need an amp, but out of my GO450 sound a little better than out of my SGS5. Especially the bass.

Of course, they are not perfect, but for me they are better all around than the TH900s (which I also have owned). BTW, the best bass
wink_face.gif
 from a dynamic driver (I have never heard the R10's). 

The 3D sound is excellent (all my others sealed cans are claustrophobic in comparison).

By 3d sound, does this mean that you've used or tried them for gaming?

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #5,406 of 9,173
Not exactly. I mean the sound stage is in front not only left and right. That really reminds me the MA900s (both angled drivers). They should be awesome for gaming.

The soundstage on the TH900s is overall slightly better but they don't have this sense of depth, IMO.

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #5,408 of 9,173
  Not exactly. I mean the sound stage is in front not only left and right. That really reminds me the MA900s (both angled drivers). They should be awesome for gaming.

The soundstage on the TH900s is overall slightly better but they don't have this sense of depth, IMO.

Yeah, I'd love to try the TH600/900, but I can't, sadly. Trying to decide between a few phones at the moment. I need them to be good for pretty much everything: music, games, movies -- in that order. These z7, AQ Nighthawks, TH600. I've tried all but the Fostex, and the z7 and AQ phones are both comfy and such for music.

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #5,409 of 9,173
I have owned also the TH600 but they also "suffer" of recessed mids (as the TH900s). I have not had the opportunity to hear the AQ.

I bought the Z7s for about $350 USD in the classifieds. That's cheaper than my PM3's.   

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #5,410 of 9,173
  I have owned also the TH600 but they also "suffer" of recessed mids (as the TH900s). I have not had the opportunity to hear the AQ.

I bought the Z7s for about $350 USD in the classifieds. That's cheaper than my PM3's.   

I picked up a pair of Hi-Fi Man 560s that sound amazing, but the bass is kinda light, and I don't want to mod them. The clarity is astounding. Not to mention the Z7 is 200 less, and the AQ is 300 less than these. And my amp blows, so I need a new amp if I keep these 560s. Leaning towards the Z7 or AQ mostly. Seriously though, the AQ is without a doubt the most comfortable headphone I've ever placed upon my head. It was just...like not even there. That being said, the Sonys are pretty comfy too.

Jul 27, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #5,411 of 9,173
Ive been comparing the Z7 to my HD600 and if the Z7 had a bit more crispness in the highs they'd sound very close to the HD600 in sound signature. The HD600 has a more forward midrange but they both sound a lot alike and that's why I think I like the Z7 so much because I've always loved the HD600.

Now I can't say one sounds better than the other, there's just a few subtle differences. The HD600 has a wider soundstage of course but I feel the Z7 has a bit better depth and a better 3D presentation. I also think the Z7 wins in imaging just by a little bit. They both sound great but the HD600 has just a slightly more lively sound with more sparkle in the treble but the Z7 has more bass impact and depth.

For me this is a perfect open and closed pair of headphones because the sound signatures are exactly how I like it and both sound clean with good detail (not micro detail).

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #5,412 of 9,173
I've been using the Z7 for quite a while now, paired with my PHA-3. At first, I really didn't think the PHA-3 made a difference that justified its asking price, even though I only paid just over half of the Australian RRP of $1,099.95. After having used the pair for some time now for a range of things (watching netflix, movies, gaming, general music listening) I think the combo is really outstanding. Maybe it's just buyers bias wearing down my resolve but the PHA-3 seems to help with the issues people had with the bass - when listening to the Z7 through my ZX1 and other less powerful devices like directly out of my PC's Xonar D2X or straight out of my phone, the bass felt boomy and a little muddy at times - but all that has essentially been mitigated since I started using it with the PHA-3. Much more definition and composure in the low end now. I mainly use them balanced out of the PHA-3.

Yeah, I'd love to try the TH600/900, but I can't, sadly. Trying to decide between a few phones at the moment. I need them to be good for pretty much everything: music, games, movies -- in that order. These z7, AQ Nighthawks, TH600. I've tried all but the Fostex, and the z7 and AQ phones are both comfy and such for music.

The Z7 is great for gaming - the "3D" soundstage that people are referring to does help place sounds while gaming in the right directions, and there is a suitable heft to explosions and punches and the like. I've been playing Batman: Arkham Knight and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel recently, and both sound great. I've listened to a wide range of music through them, from James Taylor to Slipknot, Green Day, Joe Satriani and everything in between, with an assortment of jazz and soundtrack stuff thrown in for good measure (the Halo 2 Anniversary OST is outstanding, by the way) and the Z7 handles everything I have put through it with gusto. I've also been watching House of Cards at night with these (hardly the most action packed show I know) but I find it's actually very good for this - the balance for voices over background and ambient sound is great, and they perform much better than my speaker setup on my PC for this, which is handled by a pair of AudioEngine A5+ for front left/right, and Apple HiFi for center, and a pair of AudioEngine A2 for rear left/right, although it's only the A5's firing while I'm watching netflix.

Overall very happy, and happily reporting no buyers remorse after months have passed. Can't comment on any other headphones as the Z7 is really the first higher tier over ear headphone I've ever owned.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #5,413 of 9,173
  I've been using the Z7 for quite a while now, paired with my PHA-3. At first, I really didn't think the PHA-3 made a difference that justified its asking price, even though I only paid just over half of the Australian RRP of $1,099.95. After having used the pair for some time now for a range of things (watching netflix, movies, gaming, general music listening) I think the combo is really outstanding. Maybe it's just buyers bias wearing down my resolve but the PHA-3 seems to help with the issues people had with the bass - when listening to the Z7 through my ZX1 and other less powerful devices like directly out of my PC's Xonar D2X or straight out of my phone, the bass felt boomy and a little muddy at times - but all that has essentially been mitigated since I started using it with the PHA-3. Much more definition and composure in the low end now. I mainly use them balanced out of the PHA-3.

The Z7 is great for gaming - the "3D" soundstage that people are referring to does help place sounds while gaming in the right directions, and there is a suitable heft to explosions and punches and the like. I've been playing Batman: Arkham Knight and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel recently, and both sound great. I've listened to a wide range of music through them, from James Taylor to Slipknot, Green Day, Joe Satriani and everything in between, with an assortment of jazz and soundtrack stuff thrown in for good measure (the Halo 2 Anniversary OST is outstanding, by the way) and the Z7 handles everything I have put through it with gusto. I've also been watching House of Cards at night with these (hardly the most action packed show I know) but I find it's actually very good for this - the balance for voices over background and ambient sound is great, and they perform much better than my speaker setup on my PC for this, which is handled by a pair of AudioEngine A5+ for front left/right, and Apple HiFi for center, and a pair of AudioEngine A2 for rear left/right, although it's only the A5's firing while I'm watching netflix.

Overall very happy, and happily reporting no buyers remorse after months have passed. Can't comment on any other headphones as the Z7 is really the first higher tier over ear headphone I've ever owned.

Alright, I just joined the drop for these on MD, if it hits the lowest pricing. We'll see, as it's only 1 more person from the lowest price tier.

And the Halo 2 Anniversary Soundtrack is just amazing, isn't it!? It's just so....awesome!

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #5,414 of 9,173
Ok guys, I think I need a DAC/AMP for this that is not outrageously priced. 3-400 total. Once I get it from Massdrop it will be connected to my PC which is running a SoundBlaster Zx (the one with the audio control module).

What would you guys suggest?

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #5,415 of 9,173
Ok guys, I think I need a DAC/AMP for this that is not outrageously priced. 3-400 total. Once I get it from Massdrop it will be connected to my PC which is running a SoundBlaster Zx (the one with the audio control module).

What would you guys suggest?

First of all it will run from your soundcard. Is the dac/amp for use with the PC only? Then again the soundcard can be the dac and you only need a good amp. There are a lot for 300 out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back