Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jul 26, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #5,386 of 9,173
  So I gifted my Z7's to my son when he turned 16.  He's used them more than I ever would have and I have to give him credit that he has handled them gently considering his age.  BUT...he got the bright idea to take them with him on a trip with some friends.  Needless to say, there was some damage to the 3.5mm connector and now only one channel plays.  Anyone know how to take it apart or where I can get the 3.5mm replaced?  I need to either fix them for him or have them repaired.  Would appreciate any thoughts/recommendations.  I do not want to go to balanced....just repair the 3.5mm connector.

Thanks.

HS 

Might PM cCasperTFG and see if he can help................

Jul 26, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #5,387 of 9,173
  So I gifted my Z7's to my son when he turned 16.  He's used them more than I ever would have and I have to give him credit that he has handled them gently considering his age.  BUT...he got the bright idea to take them with him on a trip with some friends.  Needless to say, there was some damage to the 3.5mm connector and now only one channel plays.  Anyone know how to take it apart or where I can get the 3.5mm replaced?  I need to either fix them for him or have them repaired.  Would appreciate any thoughts/recommendations.  I do not want to go to balanced....just repair the 3.5mm connector.

Thanks.

HS 

To get inside the cup, you remove the screws holding the pad. Then rotate the pad off.  Then there are more screws to release the driver, then you're inside the cup with access to the connector.
 It might just be the wire from the 3.5mm connector to the driver...

Jul 26, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #5,389 of 9,173
I use the XB1000 for gaming, same 70mm driver from Z7, but the Z7 obviously improved it with LCP + aluminium, anyway I find it does much better than other closed can's for gaming, the 70mm driver helps push out the sound stage and effect localization. Best closed can for gaming would be Z7 imo.

Jul 26, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #5,390 of 9,173

Might PM cCasperTFG and see if he can help................

Thank you, O!

To get inside the cup, you remove the screws holding the pad. Then rotate the pad off.  Then there are more screws to release the driver, then you're inside the cup with access to the connector.
 It might just be the wire from the 3.5mm connector to the driver...

Sorry, BUJ.  I meant that the 3.5mm connector at the single end connection that goes into the amp, phone, player, etc... was damaged.  The 3.5mm male jack was damaged seen below on the left side of the pic is the one in question.

Thanks for your help. 

HS

Jul 26, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #5,391 of 9,173
^^^ Yes, then Casper all the way.  He's going to to reterminate my Kimber I have on order to a 4 pin XLR for my Liquid Carbon I have on order...

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #5,392 of 9,173
While some people really like the Z7, the general internet response has been pretty negative. I'm just a bit confused because this is Sony. They have super expensive well reviewed loudspeakers. They have a comparatively huge r&d and design budget. They have smart engineers. They could make their flagship sound however they want. The people who designed this have access to the best gear in the world. They have access to the most advanced science. They have access to the most advanced production facilities.The sound of the z7 isn't an accident. They just wanted this particular sound. Why? It must be great for something?

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #5,393 of 9,173
  ^^^ Yes, then Casper all the way.  He's going to to reterminate my Kimber I have on order to a 4 pin XLR for my Liquid Carbon I have on order...

I assume he's a member here? Can he do the same thing for the stock balanced cable? I really don't care for the Kimber cable upgrade . Thanks.

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #5,394 of 9,173
  While some people really like the Z7, the general internet response has been pretty negative. I'm just a bit confused because this is Sony. They have super expensive well reviewed loudspeakers. They have a comparatively huge r&d and design budget. They have smart engineers. They could make their flagship sound however they want. The people who designed this have access to the best gear in the world. They have access to the most advanced science. They have access to the most advanced production facilities.The sound of the z7 isn't an accident. They just wanted this particular sound. Why? It must be great for something?

How did you come to that conclusion?

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #5,395 of 9,173
  I assume he's a member here? Can he do the same thing for the stock balanced cable? I really don't care for the Kimber cable upgrade . Thanks.

You can PM him here @cCasper TFG, or better yet find him on his Etsy page.  And I don't see why her couldn't do the same with either cable that came with the Z7...

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cCasperTFG?utm_source=transactional&%3Butm_medium=trans_email&%3Butm_campaign=convo_html&campaign_label=convo_notifications&utm_campaign=convo_notifications_010170_10683759063_0_0&utm_medium=email&utm_content=&email_sent=1435193433&euid=WFzQnnukMkeAmHCzaJ4ncucBtJjx&eaid=26968314706&x_eaid=d4dc8ffc68

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #5,396 of 9,173

Count me among the ones who likes it, although I would agree it's not what I would call "perfect", but what is perfect anyway. Since EQ ing is not my "kryptonite" I was able to dial it in just the way I like it. :wink: I bought a couple of headphones based on a large number of praise, and they turned out to be a bust for me, and then a couple of others that were hits. I take all reviews with a grain of salt. YMMV.

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #5,398 of 9,173

I just think the Z7 was being unfairly compared to headphones that cost double, triple or more.  Everyone was wanting a giant killer from the giant Sony.

I'll never expect the Z7 to beat a TH900, HD800, or an LCD whatever.  But it has a great sound at the $500 price point.  I suffer with the knowledge that if I was patient buying these, I could have save some money.  But that hasn't stopped me from enjoying these for the last 9 months.  And now with the Kimber Kable on the way, and more listening enjoyment to look forward to...

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #5,399 of 9,173
Jul 26, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #5,400 of 9,173

The general feeling I get from reading reviews and threads on this site and others. Similar response to the EL-8 closed back. Conclusion is it doesn't compete with similarly priced offerings.

I think that might just be your perception...I certainly don't get the same impressions. I think the Z7s are quite good (overall the treble on the TH900s saw me selling them and keeping the Z7s). I haven't heard the closed EL-8s, but the Z7s compete quite well with the open EL-8s. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back