Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jul 20, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #5,356 of 9,173
I once compared the TH900 and agreed with others here that the Fostex has better clarity and put slightly less emphasis on bass.  It just technically a cleaner and better sounding headphones to my ears.  Of course, we are comparing $500 to $1200 one here...so the Fostex should beat out the Z7 pretty easily.  What upset to me is that Sony has all the technology to make better phones but they choose to release their flagship at a mid-level instead of a true top-end.  I'm sure it is a matter of economic to them but they are more than capable of Class A+ sound quality.  

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #5,357 of 9,173
I don't think the Z7 is a mid-fi headphone. Granted it might not have the over all clarity or micro detail as some hi-end phones but I don't think its far behind. I've listen to the HD800, LCD-2, LCD-3, Beyer T1 and a few others and I think the Z7 isn't far behind any of them and is as good as the LDC-2 imo. I've seen a few people that have phones like the HD800 and others that think the Z7 is as good, I wont say its as good as the HD800 but to me its a solid hi-fi headphone.

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #5,359 of 9,173
  I don't think the Z7 is a mid-fi headphone. Granted it might not have the over all clarity or micro detail as some hi-end phones but I don't think its far behind. I've listen to the HD800, LCD-2, LCD-3, Beyer T1 and a few others and I think the Z7 isn't far behind any of them and is as good as the LDC-2 imo. I've seen a few people that have phones like the HD800 and others that think the Z7 is as good, I wont say its as good as the HD800 but to me its a solid hi-fi headphone.

Yup, I should have said a upper mid-level headphones.  Honestly speaking, I do enjoy my pair but I keep comparing them to the SA5000 and CD3000 and they keep falling short. 

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #5,360 of 9,173
There's a difference between technical quality and musical quality.
MDR-Z7s technical limitations, weaknesses may well be contributing to their musically engaging experience.
I for one find the Z7s really something else and lately found out that they match extremely well with my Lumia 640 smartphone. Just for fun I tried it out, not expecting much, but this is without exaggerating the best sound I have ever had, so absolutely natural sounding, with superb details, imaging and soundstage.

Yep, I am probably making a fool out of myself right now: come on, get reall will ya, a cheap smartphone, without external amp and DAC and without Kimber kables and unbalanced? Is this Mink guy joking or what? He doesn't know jack crap about good sound.
Nope, I am not joking, this combo beats everything I heard before, like the Musical Fidelity X-CanV8 amp, V-Can MKI and II amp, V-DAC MKI and II, Lehmann Rhinelander amp and Creek headphone amp.
The Sony's are so easy to drive, no dedicated amp is needed.

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #5,362 of 9,173
  Yep, I am probably making a fool out of myself right now: come on, get reall will ya, a cheap smartphone, without external amp and DAC and without Kimber kables and unbalanced? Is this Mink guy joking or what? He doesn't no jack crap about good sound.
Nope, I am not joking, this combo beats everything I heard before, like the Musical Fidelity X-CanV8 amp, V-Can MKI and II amp, V-DAC MKI and II, Lehmann Rhinelander amp and Creek headphone amp.

you are right. My Apple iPod classic 160GB + Sony Z7 combo is very musical.

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #5,363 of 9,173
Yep, I am probably making a fool out of myself right now: come on, get reall will ya, a cheap smartphone, without external amp and DAC and without Kimber kables and unbalanced? Is this Mink guy joking or what? He doesn't no jack crap about good sound.

Oh dear, I mean know of course :)

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #5,364 of 9,173
  I once compared the TH900 and agreed with others here that the Fostex has better clarity and put slightly less emphasis on bass.  It just technically a cleaner and better sounding headphones to my ears.  Of course, we are comparing $500 to $1200 one here...so the Fostex should beat out the Z7 pretty easily.  What upset to me is that Sony has all the technology to make better phones but they choose to release their flagship at a mid-level instead of a true top-end.  I'm sure it is a matter of economic to them but they are more than capable of Class A+ sound quality.  

Quote:

Quote:
  Yup, I should have said a upper mid-level headphones.  Honestly speaking, I do enjoy my pair but I keep comparing them to the SA5000 and CD3000 and they keep falling short. 

I think you both have made some very good points!
beerchug.gif

Thanks for sharing!

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #5,365 of 9,173
I listened to a couple of CD's I rip in 16bit flac and the listened to them in 320 mp3 and to be honest I couldn't really tell the difference using the Z7, which isn't a knock on them at all because I felt the same with my HD600 and HE-400. I haven't heard any DSD but I'll have ago with that when my Fiio X3II gets here tomorrow.

I think I'm going to watch a movie or 2 using the Z7 and see how the sound, maybe with something like Guardians Of The Galaxy and a bit of a classic in Predator.

Jul 23, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #5,366 of 9,173
I listened to a couple of CD's I rip in 16bit flac and the listened to them in 320 mp3 and to be honest I couldn't really tell the difference using the Z7, which isn't a knock on them at all because I felt the same with my HD600 and HE-400. I haven't heard any DSD but I'll have ago with that when my Fiio X3II gets here tomorrow.

I think I'm going to watch a movie or 2 using the Z7 and see how the sound, maybe with something like Guardians Of The Galaxy and a bit of a classic in Predator.

Many say they can't tell the difference between 320k and FLAC
regardless of the headphones they're using.

In fact, many say that "no one" can tell the difference between
those two in a double blind test - regardless of the headphones
(or speakers) in use.

Jul 23, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #5,367 of 9,173

Many say they can't tell the difference between 320k and FLAC
regardless of the headphones they're using.

In fact, many say that "no one" can tell the difference between
those two in a double blind test - regardless of the headphones
(or speakers) in use.

The difference isn't much but is there IMO.  Try focus on the depth & imaging inside the soundstage. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #5,368 of 9,173

The difference isn't much but is there IMO.  Try focus on the depth & imaging inside the soundstage. 

purk, I didn't say that I couldn't tell the difference - and I agree with you on this.

Just noting that a whole lot of folks say they "can't" tell a difference.
There was a thread here about a year ago on just this  point that
seemed to go on for miles...people being civil but endlessly disagreeing

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #5,369 of 9,173

I think they are great for movies!

Lets see how you feel about it.

With the dsd recordings that I have, they sound awesome...

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #5,370 of 9,173
I have not found anything that these are not good at. They are even great earmuffs! :smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back