Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jul 17, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #5,341 of 9,173

Yes, both Z5 (iem) and Z7 come with an extra balanced (stock) cable...exactly the reason why I picked them up (had the Pono first) in the classifieds
biggrin.gif

Z5 also delivers great sq imo...

Huh....So, the Z7 comes with a cable that uses the same termination as a Pono, AND adheres to the official wiring specifications?

Yes, just like gr8sounds posted...and considering that Pono players sometimes are for sale for an imo ''almost ridiculous low'' price of $250 (check the threads when interested)...
When you hear the sound out of it balanced with your Z7, then you'll realize that that's almost a complete give away...it'll probably make your Z7 sing like you've never heard it before
atsmile.gif

Jul 17, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #5,342 of 9,173
  Yes, just like gr8sounds posted...and considering that Pono players sometimes are for sale for an imo ''almost ridiculous low'' price of $250 (check the threads when interested)...
When you hear the sound out of it balanced with your Z7, then you'll realize that that's almost a complete give away...it'll probably make your Z7 sing like you've never heard it before
atsmile.gif

Thanks, Kerouac!

I've already got my Pono and adore it.  I may just have to give a serious look at the Sony, if only for the fact that they've got to be the only company (including Pono itself!) to be including such a cable with their products.

I know it's to promote their own offerings, obviously, but I really like the idea that there's another company out there supporting a dual 3.5mm balanced connection.

How nice it would be if only that were to become an industry standard :wink:

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #5,343 of 9,173
  Thanks, Kerouac!

I've already got my Pono and adore it.  I may just have to give a serious look at the Sony, if only for the fact that they've got to be the only company (including Pono itself!) to be including such a cable with their products.

I know it's to promote their own offerings, obviously, but I really like the idea that there's another company out there supporting a dual 3.5mm balanced connection.

How nice it would be if only that were t become an industry standard :wink:

There was a time when Sony was able to define industry standards.

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #5,344 of 9,173
Thank you for the additional information.
smily_headphones1.gif

There is allot of trash talking going on.. doing a simple google search on the pono player..

Starting to make me think it's probably a pretty good player..

After I upgrade to a balanced portable player, I'd like to upgrade the cable too..

smily_headphones1.gif

If you have a Z7, you already have a balanced cable for the Pono...

Yup,

But I was referring to Upgrade Cables - Kimber Kable MUC-B20BL1
beerchug.gif

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #5,345 of 9,173
Hi all!

I did A/B testing between stock unbalance cable and stock balance cable.

my setup:
Marantz SA11S3 -> Luxman P-700u -> Z7
CD:
John Rutter Requiem five anthem  Timothy Seelig  

Differnce is audible for me. Balance cable sounds slightly dark and tamed IMHO.
I prefer stock unbalance cable. because sounds more treble sparkle.

Thanks!

Stereo mini to 3pin XLR conversion connector  TOMOCA 12-3.5J

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #5,348 of 9,173
  Anyone compared the TH-900's with the Z7's?

I recently sold my Z7 to get the TH 900. For me the Fostex is certainly the better sounding headphone, but the Z7 was no slouch at all except in sub-bass where I feel the Z7 lacked enough to be noticeable. I find this concept hard to articulate well so bare with me. The Z7 felt less dimensional and had less depth and weight to the instruments. Calling it thinner sounding doesn't quite get there, but that was one of the things that I couldn't help feeling about the Z7. It always sounded a little stretched out, not strained like the MDR 1A can at higher volumes, but there was something just a tad missing. The TH 900 seems to have the heft and tonality to the instruments that the Z7 had a little less of.

Please note that I am not trying to dump on the Z7, I really liked it, but if asked in a direct comparison without getting into sound signature differences, these are the main improvements that I perceive the Fostex providing. I also think it fair to mention that while the 900 might over reach for some people in the treble, I do myself feel it is a little better suited to my preferences than the Z7 which is slightly restrained in treble. Now my hearing is 47 years old so a 22 year-old may not hear things this way. 

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #5,349 of 9,173

I recently sold my Z7 to get the TH 900. For me the Fostex is certainly the better sounding headphone, but the Z7 was no slouch at all except in sub-bass where I feel the Z7 lacked enough to be noticeable. I find this concept hard to articulate well so bare with me. The Z7 felt less dimensional and had less depth and weight to the instruments. Calling it thinner sounding doesn't quite get there, but that was one of the things that I couldn't help feeling about the Z7. It always sounded a little stretched out, not strained like the MDR 1A can at higher volumes, but there was something just a tad missing. The TH 900 seems to have the heft and tonality to the instruments that the Z7 had a little less of.

Please note that I am not trying to dump on the Z7, I really liked it, but if asked in a direct comparison without getting into sound signature differences, these are the main improvements that I perceive the Fostex providing. I also think it fair to mention that while the 900 might over reach for some people in the treble, I do myself feel it is a little better suited to my preferences than the Z7 which is slightly restrained in treble. Now my hearing is 47 years old so a 22 year-old may not hear things this way. 

As you are still lurking around here a lot, you might want to purchase the Z7 again and compare them for some time. Then you can decide based on headtime, which one is better. But if the Fostex is perfect for you, then be it so. i couldn't even compare them, they are not available in my region so far.

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #5,350 of 9,173

As you are still lurking around here a lot, you might want to purchase the Z7 again and compare them for some time. Then you can decide based on headtime, which one is better. But if the Fostex is perfect for you, then be it so. i couldn't even compare them, they are not available in my region so far.

I think you're being a little trite. Yes I get that I no longer have the Z7, your point is well taken. Did you not see the post I replied to? The person asked for a comparison between the Z7 and the TH 900 so my post was not "lurking" around. I answered the question as I have heard both. I don't think there was anything wrong with my reply and I'm sorry it seems to have ruffled your feathers as they say. I was trying to be respectful of the Z7.

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #5,351 of 9,173
I had a pair of z7's and th600's at the same time and I must say that I feel the fostex is in a different league when it comes to clarity, instrument seperation, and soundstage. It is technically the more capable headphone with faster transients and more dynamics, though it's tuning is not ideal. In comparison to the z7 the fostex has thinner mids, a sharper more siblant top end, and bass that while punchy and tight is a bit fatigueing IMO.
If the Z7 had the technical capabilities of the fostex I think it would be a real treat.

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #5,354 of 9,173

I think you're being a little trite. Yes I get that I no longer have the Z7, your point is well taken. Did you not see the post I replied to? The person asked for a comparison between the Z7 and the TH 900 so my post was not "lurking" around. I answered the question as I have heard both. I don't think there was anything wrong with my reply and I'm sorry it seems to have ruffled your feathers as they say. I was trying to be respectful of the Z7.

Sorry mate, I was only pulling your leg, I would lovwe to listen to the TH900 sometime.

wink_face.gif

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #5,355 of 9,173

Sorry mate, I was only pulling your leg, I would lovwe to listen to the TH900 sometime.

wink_face.gif

No worries, and I do wish I still had both headphones here. Yes, I think the TH 900 is a signature worth hearing. Can't say I know you would enjoy it as much as the Z7, but you might.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back