Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jul 11, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #5,311 of 9,173
I actually use the Z7 at just about the same volume levels as the Z5 with my Pono. I generally listen to both at a little less than 1/4 and up to just less than 1/2 when I want to listen at a louder level.

I do think the Z5 is a bit more detailed than the Z7 and 3D like but they start to have lots of similarities after the Z7 breaks in after a few days. The Z7 ultimately has a larger sound stage as would be expected. Personally I love them both.

Jul 11, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #5,312 of 9,173
Does anyone know how to take care of pleather parts? Are baby wipes bad/good idea for cleaning?

Jul 11, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #5,313 of 9,173
  Does anyone know how to take care of pleather parts? Are baby wipes bad/good idea for cleaning?

Slightly damp all cotton cloth is probably better.  Baby cloths may have lotions and other stuff.

Jul 12, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #5,314 of 9,173
So this afternoon I tried my Z7 + Kimber upgrade portable cable + my new AK240SS and it was seriously good! I think with this portable setup, I can now convince myself to add the Z7s to my Comparative Thread for portable headphones. 

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #5,315 of 9,173
Late night working on EXCEL and this wonderful combo

Z7
PHA3
Apple lossless 

Jul 12, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #5,316 of 9,173
So this afternoon I tried my Z7 + Kimber upgrade portable cable + my new AK240SS and it was seriously good! I think with this portable setup, I can now convince myself to add the Z7s to my Comparative Thread for portable headphones. 

Agreed, I used to have Z7 with silver balaced cable to AK240, sounds really really good!

Jul 12, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #5,317 of 9,173
  I've just bought a pair of Z7 from RazorDog Audio (BTW, very impressed with the transaction, Brian is super-professional). They for sure beautifully built and super-comfortable. I use them with my Pono balanced. Out of the box they sound... meh, muddy and soundstage is really on the small side. For comparison, XBA-Z5 out of the box with Pono balanced sounded amazing, very clear with a massive soundstage. What am I doing wrong? Do they really improve with burn-in? Also I noticed that I can't for sure decide what Pono's volume is comfortable for me with Z7. I use the volume on 6 o'clock but I feel I would like to go louder. If I make it louder, then it starts sounding like a bit 'distorted'? Anyone with Pono/Z7 - what are your comfortable listening volumes?  

I can't say if the sound changes much with burn-in because I bought mine in the classifieds. But from the moment it arrived it sounded pretty amazing out of my Pono in balanced mode (imo much better then single ended from my Hugo). Not muddy at all and the soundstage is also pretty wide imo, so I don't recognize your description of it at all...
Maybe the burn-in makes such a big difference
confused.gif

Same volume level over here, around 6 o'clock and sometimes a little louder. No distortion noticed though...

Jul 13, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #5,318 of 9,173
It really is fascinating how people can hear the same headphone and have totally different views on the sound signature. I know your source, amp and other factors can have an affect on the sound but not to the extent that it totally changes the hp's signature in a major way.

I didn't find the Z7 to sound muddy at all or have a small soundstage upon first listen and its just got better as my brain has had time to adjust. I did have to abandon my Hifiman HM-601LE because it just has to warm of a signature to sound good with the Z7 imo. I use my Colorfly C3 and Schiit Vali now which sounds great paired with the Z7 though I am looking to buy a new player in the $300 price range if for nothing else than to have another sonic choice.

Jul 13, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #5,319 of 9,173
Hi
First timer here
I would like to share my experience and thoughts regarding the Z7.
I had in the past quite a good gear, sony xa777ES and grado RS1 (original model)
Good collection of cds and SACD.
For personal reasons this gear is not with me anymore.
A couple of years have passed, and I was missing badly listen to my music.
A couple of weeks ago i went to a shop
Huge one, i prefer to not say which one. Most of the headphones are available for demo. I started to demos the big players, ofcourse. MAINLY I felt dissapointed. Then just out curiosity I tried the Z7. I DIDNT KNOW even that they existed. I was hooked, fascinated, hipnotized.
I came back home and started the research. I found this threat, and I have readed all. Every f page. THE GOOD the bad... all. I ALWAYS trust in my view, so i finally ordered them. I got them 3 days ago.
My current gear is not great, the Z3, but i have quite a lot of sacd files,many of my old sacd tranferred to dff and dfs. Also a lot of 24/96 files.
I HAVe in my memory very vivid the sound of my old aquipment, so i will try to describe what i am listening.
I can not understand the muddy argument, absolutely incomprehensible for me. I had a bright headphone. Z7 sounds maybe a bit less bright but not muddy.
Due my player only dsd files sound really great, 24/96 not bad, normal cd, weak.
Listening to the dsd files, the sound is at the same level that my old gear.
The only difference is that Z7 for me is more natural.
Even one of my favourite recordings, the Becks Sea Change DSD file, sounds so good, soooooo f dynamic, that broght tears to my eyes... Finally I have found my nirvana again. And i can tell you, i have listen to that record 1000 times with my old gear, and the Z7 is better.

All of the above imo.

Now i have to go, Dsotm DSD file is playing while i write this. Never sounded better.

Regards

Jul 13, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #5,320 of 9,173
^^

Like a fine wine it's going to get even better!

What are you powering your z7 with?

Any portable preferences?

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #5,321 of 9,173
Its funny, I found my old Fiio E6 amp earlier today (well yesterday now) and hooked it up to my Colorfly C3. I was very surprised when it sound better than my other portable amp with the Z7. It sounds more open and dynamic than the C&C BH amp I was using and as good as my Schiit Vali imo. I forgot just how good that little guy is and for less than $30 in most cases.

I can't sleep so I've been listening to the C3-E6 setup with the Z7. I've been mainly listening to electronic music from chillout to trance and the Z7 sound great. I've read some say they aren't good for edm because the highs aren't bright or crisp enough, which is why they are so good with edm imo. A lot of electronic music can sound much to harsh with bright treble but the Z7 smooth, detailed sound is perfect and much easier to listen for extended periods. Armin Van Buuren's new A State Of Trance 2015 mix comp sounds great with the Z7's thick bass, warm detailed mids and highs and the awesome 3D soundstage, man I'm glad I bought these.

Jul 14, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #5,322 of 9,173
Jul 14, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #5,323 of 9,173
Thanks!
Also voices are awesome in my view
Best i ever heard
Both male and female.
Definition is outstanding.
Ok computer 24/96 vynil transfer ( outstanding transfer) sounds also better than ever.
And i heard this record like 2000 times.
Also looking forward to reach more hours as seems that the sounds gets only better with time

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #5,324 of 9,173

Users who are viewing this thread

Back