Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jul 2, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #5,236 of 9,173
I never thought I'd find a headphone at the price I paid that would satisfy me the way the Z7 does. I didn't want to pay over a $1000 for a new hp because I hoped I would find one cheaper but didn't think I would. That's why I'm so happy with the Z7 and feel I'm set for a long time with what I have.

What kind of music works best with them in your experience? :) 

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #5,237 of 9,173

To me it is all kind of music, that touches my heart.
As we have only one set of ears, for me one good headphone can do all my music from rap to classic.

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #5,238 of 9,173

In all honestly everything from rock, pop, classical and edm sound really good from the Z7. My go to hp before I got these was the Sennhiser HD600 and I feel the Z7 sound better as an all around headphone. They're great for long listening because of the warm somewhat darker presentation but that's not to say they're not detailed. I've listened to rock, metal, hip hop, classical, edm and everything in between and the Z7 sounds great.

One of my favorite parts of they're sound is the 3D presentation which is better than anything I've heard. They sound like more of a open headphone than closed imo.

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #5,239 of 9,173
I never thought I'd find a headphone at the price I paid that would satisfy me the way the Z7 does. I didn't want to pay over a $1000 for a new hp because I hoped I would find one cheaper but didn't think I would. That's why I'm so happy with the Z7 and feel I'm set for a long time with what I have.

Yeah at first I was a bit skeptical.. But the z7 is starting to grow on on me.. And I've only had them for half a day.

And of course the build quality is stellar :-D

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #5,240 of 9,173
So how is the X2 in comparison?

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #5,241 of 9,173
Jul 2, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #5,242 of 9,173

Still a little to early to tell.. I'm A-B'in them right now.

I see you have the HD8 DJ. I just sold mine last weekend. The edge inside the cups was annoying to me and hurting a bit over time. But the build quality is top notch. Liked the bass a lot, but this seems to have a professional sound, not hifi oriented.

Jul 2, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #5,243 of 9,173

I see you have the HD8 DJ. I just sold mine last weekend. The edge inside the cups was annoying to me and hurting a bit over time. But the build quality is top notch. Liked the bass a lot, but this seems to have a professional sound, not hifi oriented.

That is an Excellent Short description on the HD8
beerchug.gif

I find the HD8 very comfortable.
I have worn them many time for 8+hr High activity environments.
But I'm usually wearing a Beanie underneath the HP. 

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #5,244 of 9,173

That is an Excellent Short description on the HD8
beerchug.gif

I find the HD8 very comfortable.
I have worn them many time for 8+hr High activity environments.
But I'm usually wearing a Beanie underneath the HP. 

Sennheiser should either include a Beanie in the box, or at least add a note inside the manual that a Beanie is required for best sound and comfort.
beerchug.gif

Maybe you should write a review of the HD8 DJ and include that.

Jul 3, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #5,245 of 9,173

Sennheiser should either include a Beanie in the box, or at least add a note inside the manual that a Beanie is required for best sound and comfort.
beerchug.gif

Maybe you should write a review of the HD8 DJ and include that.

Haha, Great idea!
ph34r.gif

And guess what, I find that in fact wearing a Beanie while using my A5PRO actually does make them sound better!

The Phillips A5PRO uses 50mm 3500mW Drivers.  It's like a racing engine, to get better performance out of it you got to Rev the motor!

And the Beanie Acts as a filter.  Apply different thickness's as needed
beyersmile.png

-

But as to Follow the Topic Rules.

The "SONY zead-7"  ROCKS!! 
basshead.gif

Jul 3, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #5,246 of 9,173
In all honestly everything from rock, pop, classical and edm sound really good from the Z7. My go to hp before I got these was the Sennhiser HD600 and I feel the Z7 sound better as an all around headphone. They're great for long listening because of the warm somewhat darker presentation but that's not to say they're not detailed. I've listened to rock, metal, hip hop, classical, edm and everything in between and the Z7 sounds great.

One of my favorite parts of they're sound is the 3D presentation which is better than anything I've heard. They sound like more of a open headphone than closed imo.

I've been considering the Z7 as my next headphone as well as numerous others, I really need to audition this headphone when I have the chance. Your description of them reminds me a lot of my DT 150 compared to my HD 600. Especially in regards to the 3D presentation and soundstage. I don't know why but I found the HD 600 a bit of a disappointment to me, probably because I had the DT 150 and K712 before the HD 600. The HD 600 sounds almost like an inferior K712 to my ears but a bit different and the HD 600 can't hope to match the DT 150s vocals and soundstaging. The only problem I have with the DT 150 is that it's a bit slow so it can't handle complex passages quite as well as the K712 and HD 650, it's not bad but I do notice it in compairison. I'm hoping the Z7 is similar enough to the DT 150 sound signature wise but faster and more comfortable. I find the HD 600 a little slow as well. I like the HD 650 a lot more than the HD 600, especially in terms of clarity, long term listening, and soundstaging/imaging but sadly my HD 650 is defective and is going to be sent in for repairs soon.

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #5,247 of 9,173
I know u have mentioned before that the vocals were a bit off for you on the 1540, was there any thing else that made the Z7 better for you versus the 1540?

I need something for marathon sessions as well. The Z7 was a bit tight on the head but the pads were quite comfortable. I would like something dark for an over ear as I have plenty of bright iems to satisfy those needs. Just wish there was a way to try the Z7 again, shame that all the sony retail stores closed down in Canada! Seems like the ZMF are definitely worth an audition! 

I remember some insider, ?Nomax I think, was mentioning that the Z7 was not the king flagship and that another TOTL over ear would be coming this year. Haven't heard anymore leaks about that. Wonder if they plan to release something else this year? Doesn't have to necessarily replace the Z7, maybe a different signature? 
sorry for the late reply. I found the signature a bit to u or v shaped and a bit artificial sounding. They had a massive sound stage but if felt a bit unreal and diffuse. But it has been over a year since I owned them so my memory may be a bit skewed.

I also like the treble more as well. The Z7 extends well but is never fatiguing which is something I have grown to love just like the Z5.

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #5,248 of 9,173
Jul 3, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #5,249 of 9,173
I picked up a couple of these at Yodabashi and the sound, at least to my untrained 40 something year old ears, is beyond great,
but the build quality and comfort really steals the show. 

How do you guys think about the Sony Kimber Kables?

I went for the balanced set to use with PHA-3 but when I don't have the Amp with me,
I wonder if there's a huge difference between the stock included non-balanced set and the Kimber MUC-B30UM1?

I hope this is the right place to ask,
and thank you.

Jul 3, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #5,250 of 9,173
  I picked up a couple of these at Yodabashi and the sound, at least to my untrained 40 something year old ears, is beyond great,
but the build quality and comfort really steals the show. 

How do you guys think about the Sony Kimber Kables?

I went for the balanced set to use with PHA-3 but when I don't have the Amp with me,
I wonder if there's a huge difference between the stock included non-balanced set and the Kimber MUC-B30UM1?

I hope this is the right place to ask,
and thank you.

I bought my Kimber MUC-B30UM1 from Yodabashi while I was in Tokyo in December.
Personally I can't go back to standard after using them. I find there is a noticeable improvement in clarity and smoothness. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back