Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jul 1, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #5,221 of 9,173

Not even close? Not to be argumentative, but comfort is always an important consideration of mine and I can assure you that the TH 900 and the 560 while perhaps less so than the Z7 are very comfortable. The Z7 has adequate/okay sub-bass performance, but it is not a strength of the Z7 by either subjective, or objective measures. Beyond that, over-all the Z7 is quite a lovely headphone and very worth owning. Frankly. I wish I had kept it.

Feel free to buy it again, before it is discontinued. The Z7 is wort to give it more than occasional listen. It will grow on you. And as nice and important a great and pronounced subbass might be, it is only a small part of the frequency spectrum, that music reperesents. I for myself do no longer measure all cans against the subbass.

Jul 1, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #5,222 of 9,173
If anyone is interested in an upgrade silver cable, please see my signature. IMO, it brings more air, smoother mids and tighter lows

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #5,223 of 9,173

Feel free to buy it again, before it is discontinued. The Z7 is wort to give it more than occasional listen. It will grow on you. And as nice and important a great and pronounced subbass might be, it is only a small part of the frequency spectrum, that music reperesents. I for myself do no longer measure all cans against the subbass.

Do think they will be discontinued soon ? Its not been on the market very long. 

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #5,224 of 9,173

International sales seen to be very good for this headphone.  But that's only speculative.  I doubt that Sony would discontinue the Z7 as long as it sells well...

....now moving production out of Japan.  Well, that seems to be a greater possibility.

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #5,225 of 9,173

Sony is famous for discontinuing cans rather soon, that is all. So this is not the HD650 lifecycle.

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #5,226 of 9,173
Sony is famous for discontinuing cans rather soon, that is all. So this is not the HD650 lifecycle.
Not for their flagship. The mdr-sa5000 (a great great phones once recabled) was their flagship for nearly 8 or 9 years. I know thet time has changed but I bet the z7 will be their flagship for at least three more yeas.

Jul 1, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #5,227 of 9,173
I have owned and sold the 1540 and vastly prefer the Z7 over it. The Z7 is a perfect fit for you since you enjoy the Z5 so much. I think that Sony did an amazing job creating two equally impressive products considering the vast difference between the technologies.

I know u have mentioned before that the vocals were a bit off for you on the 1540, was there any thing else that made the Z7 better for you versus the 1540?

Well, I never auditioned the Shure, but I did audition the Vibros and Blackwoods.  The Z7 are lighter, more comfortable, and isolate less then the ZMFs.  And that's no insult to the ZMF, there were not overweight, nor uncomfortable.  Its just the Z7 really might be the best headphone for marathon listening sessions.  The Vibro has more bass then the Z7, but loses a bit in the sub-bass region.  The Blackwood has about the same amount of bass as the Z7, and also loses a bit in sub-bass.  I think both ZMFs are just slightly superior in the mids making them more lush in vocals, but lose a bit in soundstage.  All ZMFs have a dark signature, but that's not a bad thing.  I miss their darkness, and wish sometimes I had them instead.  But that would mean giving up the Z7, and I'm not willing to part with them.

That said, I'm super interested in the new ZMF Omni.....

I need something for marathon sessions as well. The Z7 was a bit tight on the head but the pads were quite comfortable. I would like something dark for an over ear as I have plenty of bright iems to satisfy those needs. Just wish there was a way to try the Z7 again, shame that all the sony retail stores closed down in Canada! Seems like the ZMF are definitely worth an audition! 

I remember some insider, ?Nomax I think, was mentioning that the Z7 was not the king flagship and that another TOTL over ear would be coming this year. Haven't heard anymore leaks about that. Wonder if they plan to release something else this year? Doesn't have to necessarily replace the Z7, maybe a different signature? 

Jul 1, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #5,229 of 9,173
Are there any other cables besides the Kimber Kables that are good for the Z7? I also want a shorter cable as the stock one while very nice is way to long for what I need.

Can't recommend the Moon-Audio Silver Dragon enough.

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #5,230 of 9,173
Are there any other cables besides the Kimber Kables that are good for the Z7? I also want a shorter cable as the stock one while very nice is way to long for what I need.

I highly recommend these > (and I've listened to the Kimber Kable and returned it).

http://www.surfcables.com/collections/surfcables-silver-teflon-headphone-cables/products/sony-mdr-z7

High quality, pricing more than fair, great people to deal with.

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #5,231 of 9,173
Jul 2, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #5,233 of 9,173
Thanks, they seem like exactly what I'm looking for. Do the make any difference in the sound signature and or quality?

To my ears they do.

The upper midrange and treble are a bit brighter,
a bit more present, airier in comparison with the
stock cable.

I liked them more than the Kimber - couldn't really 
articulate it but after going back and forth and finding
such a small difference, it occurred to me that I 
could return the Sony and get back $250.

In other words, whatever difference there might have
been wasn't worth the outlay for the Kimber.  They
certainly are beautiful, though, FWIW.

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #5,235 of 9,173
I never thought I'd find a headphone at the price I paid that would satisfy me the way the Z7 does. I didn't want to pay over a $1000 for a new hp because I hoped I would find one cheaper but didn't think I would. That's why I'm so happy with the Z7 and feel I'm set for a long time with what I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back