Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jul 4, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #5,251 of 9,173

Joey, compared to the stock cable that is very well made aside from their length, how stubborn is the Kimber in comparison. The stock cable is zero stubborn for me, only too long at times.

Jul 4, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #5,252 of 9,173
The kimber is a little stiff but for me doesnt really affect how i use it at my desk. My only regret is not getting the short cable. Really didnt need a 3m cable at my desk so i just tie it up into a loop.

Jul 5, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #5,254 of 9,173
  Hey guys really need help, I am torn between the iDSD Micro vs the PHA-3. Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

I run the Z7 from my Sony NW-ZX1 now. You might want to try the ZX1 or ZX2 instead of messing around with bulky DAP/AMP stacks. It sound faily decent out of the ZX1 for me and also my A15 and F886 can drive them very good. Especially the ZX2 with it's further improvements regarding sound and battery life is a clear recommendation.

Jul 5, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #5,255 of 9,173
I run the Z7 from my Sony NW-ZX1 now. You might want to try the ZX1 or ZX2 instead of messing around with bulky DAP/AMP stacks. It sound faily decent out of the ZX1 for me and also my A15 and F886 can drive them very good. Especially the ZX2 with it's further improvements regarding sound and battery life is a clear recommendation.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Im actually going to use the amp/dac at home and work. Pc/mac/a17 as source.

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #5,256 of 9,173
The kimber is a little stiff but for me doesnt really affect how i use it at my desk. My only regret is not getting the short cable. Really didnt need a 3m cable at my desk so i just tie it up into a loop.

For you is that because there's a difference in sound depending
on the length with your Z7, or do you just want a less cumbersome shorter wire?
My balanced Kimber for Z7 is long but ordered a 1.2m non-balanced from Japan today for 
trips when plugging directly into the zx2, so very curious.  

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #5,257 of 9,173

My balanced Kimber for Z7 is long but ordered a 1.2m non-balanced from Japan today for 

I assume there wouldn't be any difference in sound between the 1.2 or 3m kimber cable. At the moment my 3m cable has 5 loops tied up at the end of it. I just didn't need it so long. When I first bought it I though maybe I would lean back on my desk chair to relax and listen to music with it but 1.2m would even be more than enough. Not really sure why I bought the 3m ..maybe because when I saw the price wasn't that much different, I thought might as well get longer.

The cable IS really well made and usually my friends are quite impressed with the look of it as it looks pro and expensive. 

Jul 5, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #5,258 of 9,173

I had both the 3M and 1.2M, and could not perceive any audible difference between them.
But I thought they were both better than the stock cable, especially in midrange and treble clarity.

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #5,259 of 9,173
My Z7 got a problem.
My Z7 cause flutter noise as same as  Lachlan reported at this youtube link.
I'm going to return my Z7 to a seller.

I recommend to test your Z7 too.

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #5,260 of 9,173
  My Z7 got a problem.

Did you by chance open up your Z7?

The only reason I ask is I believe there is a very simple problem causing this, and very correctable...

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #5,262 of 9,173
  My Z7 got a problem.

My Z7 had this problem also. The SONY services center replaced both cups (the outer shell together with the drives) after recognizing the problem.
As the cable connecting the connector and the drivers seemed not to be re-soldered, I am quite sure they have replaced the whole cups for me.

After burning for months, it seems that the sound is tighter and is "less-air" comparing to the original one. Would there be a problem in the diaphragm producing process?

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #5,264 of 9,173
So I finally bit the bullet and ordered the new Kimber portable cable for my Z7s. I really still enjoy them and they've become my only closed headphone now that my TH-900s are gone. But the stock cables are way too long for my needs. Hopefully Sony ships it out soon and I'll report back with my impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back