Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jul 7, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #5,266 of 9,173
The new Apogee Groove is fantastic with Z7.  You gotta try this combo!

Interesting, thanks!

But what would you say is the groove's portable counterpart?

Or what I mean is what does it compare to in the portable battery powered DAC/player

Thanks for any info :)

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #5,267 of 9,173

No i didn't. Is it correctable really? how didi you fix your Z7?

The vibration is most likely (in my opinion) one of the fabric covers for the 4 bass ports.

They're just held in by being slipped on a couple of pins.  If one came free, I bet it would replicate the sound in the video.  I only asked if you may have opened up the headphone and nudged one of these covers loose.  But you didn't, so I would fault you for exchanging them...

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #5,268 of 9,173

The vibration is most likely (in my opinion) one of the fabric covers for the 4 bass ports.

They're just held in by being slipped on a couple of pins.  If one came free, I bet it would replicate the sound in the video.  I only asked if you may have opened up the headphone and nudged one of these covers loose.  But you didn't, so I would fault you for exchanging them...

Thank you for your Information and Help! I have no courage to open up my can...

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #5,269 of 9,173
The Aune B1 looks like a really nice portable class A amp. There's not to many good class A portable amps to begin with let alone at a reasonable price like the B1. From the few reviews I've read it seems to be a nice one with plenty of power for the Z7 as well as high impedance hp's. The one down side that I can see is battery life depending on what current you use, which I've read is either 20mA (about 10 hours) and 40mA (around half at 5 hours). I'm taking a hard look at the B1 as its one of the portables near the top of my list.

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #5,270 of 9,173

I wonder if this is also something that can fail over time as well? I'd really hate to have to open them up to fix.

On the mod side I wonder if you put another small hole or 2 in the cover of the bass port if that would change the bass or the signature at all?

Jul 7, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #5,271 of 9,173
  The Aune B1 looks like a really nice portable class A amp. There's not to many good class A portable amps to begin with let alone at a reasonable price like the B1. From the few reviews I've read it seems to be a nice one with plenty of power for the Z7 as well as high impedance hp's. The one down side that I can see is battery life depending on what current you use, which I've read is either 20mA (about 10 hours) and 40mA (around half at 5 hours). I'm taking a hard look at the B1 as its one of the portables near the top of my list.

Read some reviews stating about 4 hours battery life at max gain and it gets hot. But the 100% Class A power seems to be worth it. Rare for a portable, especially at the price.

Jul 7, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #5,272 of 9,173
The B1 is a beast, it's big 4000mAH battery get's drained so fast thanks to pure Class A. Think about it, most daps have smaller batteries than B1 and need to power 3 circuits, dac, amp and cpu, but can get longer battery life than B1. Just goes to show what the Class A of B1 is all about, I couldn't resist and bought one.

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #5,273 of 9,173
  So I finally bit the bullet and ordered the new Kimber portable cable for my Z7s. I really still enjoy them and they've become my only closed headphone now that my TH-900s are gone. But the stock cables are way too long for my needs. Hopefully Sony ships it out soon and I'll report back with my impressions.

And I thought you kinda disliked the MDR-Z7 in the 25 best closed cans tread. Glad you still have it.

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #5,274 of 9,173
  The B1 is a beast, it's big 4000mAH battery get's drained so fast thanks to pure Class A. Think about it, most daps have smaller batteries than B1 and need to power 3 circuits, dac, amp and cpu, but can get longer battery life than B1. Just goes to show what the Class A of B1 is all about, I couldn't resist and bought one.

I tried one as part of a tour unit. It was my first time trying out a good amp so I had no point of reference to compare to. Would you say it would be great for things like the Z5 and Z7?

Edit: I didn't have my Z5 the week I was part of the b1 tour so I couldn't try them out together

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #5,275 of 9,173

And I thought you kinda disliked the MDR-Z7 in the 25 best closed cans tread. Glad you still have it.

I didn't include it in that thread. I might now with a more portable cable. 
smile.gif

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #5,276 of 9,173
Can some one please recommend me a portable amp for the z7 ( Preferably Sub-$500 )

I'm currently using (and rather enjoying) the X3ii + E17K combo

The z7 sounds good plugged directly into the x3ii

But there is some kinda weird synergy when combined with the E17K ( Seems to really bring out the Bass and treble )

Not sure why? 
confused.gif

I know I should just save up 100,000 pennies and buy the PHA-3 

I'm happy with my current setup, I'm not to picky

But I just can't help but think that some other members have encountered a Synergy of their own...

Any information is appreciated!

beerchug.gif

Jul 7, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #5,277 of 9,173
Can some one please recommend me a portable amp for the z7 ( Preferably Sub-$500 )

But there is some kinda weird synergy when combined with the E17K ( Seems to really bring out the Bass and treble )

Not sure why?  :confused:

But I just can't help but think that some other members have encountered a Synergy of their own...

:beerchug:

If you can live with 4 or 5 hour battery life I think the Anue B1 Class A portable amp is a solid choice. I think with the Z7's lower impedance you could use the lower 20mA current on the B1 and have the battery last about 8 hours or so. I think I'm going to get one in a few weeks, portable class A for under $200 is hard to beat imo.

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #5,278 of 9,173
If you can live with 4 or 5 hour battery life I think the Anue B1 Class A portable amp is a solid choice. I think with the Z7's lower impedance you could use the lower 20mA current on the B1 and have the battery last about 8 hours or so. I think I'm going to get one in a few weeks, portable class A for under $200 is hard to beat imo.

Thanks! I'll check it out :)

Jul 8, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #5,279 of 9,173

Not sure why? 
confused.gif

beerchug.gif

I use my Z7s with my CEntrance HiFi M8, and couldn't be happier with the combination.  So happy it made me lose interest in the PHA-3

Jul 8, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #5,280 of 9,173
I've read a lot of good things about the CEntrance Hifi M8 and I wish I had enough to buy them. After getting the Z7's I also just bought a computer so for me I'm only looking to spend around $300 or less. I'm looking at either the Fiio X3II or X5 (old version) because they're both a pmp and a USB dac.

If anyone knows of any other good pmp's (nothing to warm sounding) under $300 that would sound good paired with the Z7 I'm looking for more suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back