Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Nov 1, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #2,806 of 9,173

I always found the HD650s a bit veiled. Had I owned the HD600s instead, I would have held on to them much longer. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I wonder if newer HD650s have been retuned? 

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #2,807 of 9,173
  I always found the HD650s a bit veiled. Had I owned the HD600s instead, I would have held on to them much longer. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I wonder if newer HD650s have been retuned? 

I do like both headphones quite a bit personally as the veil doesn't prevent me from enjoying them and I did find they each had their strengths and weaknesses compared to each other. True. Perception of audio alone can create so many different opinions. Not sure. I do know both the HD 600 and HD 650 I compared are both quite new. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #2,808 of 9,173
this is getting confusing..:p

.hd600 never sounded veil to me...own it twice..n with diff cables.
hd650...first time veiled, then unveiled with spc cables... marvellous. :p

=====
hmmmmm Z7...
i think all the vents should be sealed...and allow the air to slip out thru velorpads instead. 
( n maybe some goose liver stuffings if needed ;
the ambient noise is interfering with the.... thin....deep.... far.... soundstage..:)

Nov 1, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #2,809 of 9,173
  this is getting confusing..:p

.hd600 never sounded veil to me...own it twice..n with diff cables.
hd650...first time veiled, then unveiled with spc cables... marvellous. :p

=====
hmmmmm Z7...
i think all the vents should be sealed...and allow the air to slip out thru velorpads instead. 
( n maybe some goose liver stuffings if needed ;
the ambient noise is interfering with the.... thin....deep.... far.... soundstage..:)

It is confusing. Because I found my HD 600 suffocatingly veiled when I first put it on. I honestly was not expecting a veil when I got my HD 600 because I didn't hear one on the previous HD 600 I heard, but it was there and I was like this is the most veiled headphone I've ever heard(I was exaggerating of course but it caught me quite off-guard), it lifted a lot with use and a different cable helped.

Despite all the mixed impressions on the Z7 I still want to grab a pair to see if I like them or not. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #2,810 of 9,173
Don't think it's confusing. You hear what you hear. Equally it is misrepresentative now that it transpires you heard different things on different pairs (HD600 veil is a one-in-100,000 opinion). I welcome it though. When you hang out here you need to put a context against writings

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #2,811 of 9,173
Z7 don't get enough attention for it's main tour de force. Having incredible bass response, with a kind of feel of big bass rumbling (like big bass reflex loudspeaker) without sounding muddle in the rest of the Spectrum like usual big bass headphones thanks to the giant coated diaphragm.

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #2,812 of 9,173
Sorry, I've heard plenty of different Sennheiser headphones and the HD800s are one of the cleanest sounding headphones there are...the HD600s are spectacular and veil free. The HD650s (especially on tube amps) can sound veiled.

The term "Sennheiser veil" was around long before there was an HD650.

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #2,813 of 9,173
yeah back in the day of sennheiser vs grado. anything would sound veiled next to a grado apart from stax of course. :wink:

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #2,814 of 9,173

And underpowered HD650 can sound veiled...

Nov 1, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #2,815 of 9,173
would the z7 be good for edm music, i am in search for warm, bass, detailed headphones. i was considering the oppo pm3 but from what i read there is that is more neutral and that is not what i like in headphones.

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #2,816 of 9,173
  would the z7 be good for edm music, i am in search for warm, bass, detailed headphones. i was considering the oppo pm3 but from what i read there is that is more neutral and that is not what i like in headphones.

I haven't heard the Oppo PM-3, but if you don't really need the closed back, can try also the Oppo PM-2.
If you don't mind the V-shaped SQ, can also try the Fostex TH600, good bass with detailed treble, but suck-out mids. Not really what you consider warm nor neutral

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #2,817 of 9,173
Don't think it's confusing. You hear what you hear. Equally it is misrepresentative now that it transpires you heard different things on different pairs (HD600 veil is a one-in-100,000 opinion). I welcome it though. When you hang out here you need to put a context against writings

Well the first time I heard the HD 600, it was on a system I haven't heard my pair on. It's not necessarily misrepresntative as they were heard under different conditions. I'd have to hear both HD 600's on the same system to know. What the HD 600 does sound is very natural, I find it very true to it's description of natural sound. 

I'm curious how people are going view the Z7 in long-term. I wonder if it's going to be like the K812 which had a hype train as well at first but some bad initial impressions and reviews and iffy measurements hurt it's popularity. The K812 turned out to be one of my favorite headphones I have auditioned. I get the feeling I'm going to like the Z7 quite a bit as none of the impressions have really turned me off.

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #2,818 of 9,173
@mshenay I did not order. I called Sony because someone mentioned a discount on their website but I didn't see it.
I cancelled order from priceJapan and decided almost pulled the trigger on an hd600 but saw in reviews some quality control issue with the cable and decided to hold off till holiday price drops came around so I could get one from an authorized dealer for cheaper. Now, that plan is out of the door and new plan is to go to the new York metro meet on the 15th. It's going to be a long drive but I'm looking forward to the adventure and finally finding what headphone I want. Already have the room reserved and a friend coming too. I wanted to bring the wife but no one to watch the kids.
Can't wait to hear the z7. I'm pretty sure buttuglyjeff is bringing his.

Nov 1, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #2,819 of 9,173
@mshenay I did not order. I called Sony because someone mentioned a discount on their website but I didn't see it.

When I bought the Sony MDR Z7, what I did is to connect with the online chat to ask about the headphone. During the conversation online they told me there was a promotion with a discount so that they applied $140 discount on the headphone but I had to purchase a 2-year service plan for $39. So, this resulted in a total $100 discount. This is NOT displayed at the sony website, there is no notice of the discount but if you contact them and ask for promotions they may offer it to you. It worked for me a week ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back