Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Nov 2, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #2,836 of 9,173
I think anyone hoping for the Z7's to be any kind of neutral or versatile across a spectrum of music is bound to be disappointed. That's just not their strength. That said, I did have a great session with them last night digging through stuff I listen to less frequently these days. These cans are absolutely fantastic with Kruder and Dorfmeister's The K&D Sessions. I've listed to this album literally hundreds of times over the years but the Z7's absolutely blew my mind. I fully understand where the bass heads in this thread are coming from now. Yeah, it wasn't as balanced as the Hd800's. So what. They felt thin and boring on this album in comparison. The Z7's killed it with the deep bass here and had a wide enough soundstage while having height that left me feeling totally enveloped. This sound is something you are only going to get from a closed can with minimal damping.

So, this has me rethinking them again. I already have several cans that do neutral and flexible well. I don't need another, and in fact could do to sell off a set or two. These would be completely unique in my collection even if they weren't my primary go-to everyday set. :)

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #2,837 of 9,173
funny how it goes. i'm having a similar experience with a particular album and the w3000anv. horses for courses i guess.

Nov 2, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #2,838 of 9,173
After a few days, I would have to say these Sonys have a lot of good qualities, but they are seriously scooped in the upper mids and treble. As in excessively, as in you must be kidding, Sony. I doubt any amount of time is going to change this presentation, and it also jives with other reviews I'm reading. Thus, I have been listing to them with the opposite EQ I usually use, which seems crazy, but they sound great to me with this: +1dB at 1k, +1.5dB at 2k, +2dB at 4k, +1dB at 8k, and +.5dB at 16k (just to smooth the transition coming off the 8k setting).

Without that EQ, they are so dull it's like listening to a lecture on the various types of insurance products you can buy. While the bass is nice and tight and clean, it is too overwhelming compared to the rest of the frequency spectrum, and the detail is shoved way too far back since the mids are so severely scooped out. They sound like speakers inside a suitcase trying to kick their way out. 

With the EQ, they really come alive, but it is a shame they need that much sound shaping. Most headphones I have would absolutely pierce my ears with the snare drum if I boosted the mids like this (and as mentioned above, I usually do just the opposite), but these don't have a harsh tone in their body.

The Z7s are very comfortable, and with EQ they don't need to be very loud to get satisfaction, and they also don't punish my ears if I crank them. A lot of the detail I expect from my other phones comes back when I have this EQ.

So... with the EQ, I am really enjoying them - I'm just focusing on the music and that's all that matters to me - I want the headphones to get out of the way and once I have these spiced to taste, that is exactly what they do. I am very surprised at their tonal profile, however, and without EQ I doubt I would ever listen to them. With the EQ though, they are superb.

But one shouldn't need to throw a lot of EQ onto a pair of $700 headphones. And they somewhat paper over warts on recording, making them unsuitable as a studio monitor, and robbing you of some of the detail you get with the other top tier cans (but a great companion when you don't want your system pointing out all the flaws in a recording: so you can just dial your brain into the music). If I didn't have easy access to EQ and the wherewithal to try and dial it in, I'd pick the AKG 712 over these in a New York minute.

So close, Sony. So close... 

warts with the speaker in the suitcase lecturing about insurance...hehehe

Nov 2, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #2,839 of 9,173

Well, after comparing my Audio Technica ATH-ES10 against the Stax SR-X today, I think I have an idea or two on how to make the bass of the Z7 extend further, have better definition, and also better tonality. It'll just require filling the back of the drivers with the right stuffs... instead of leaving the ear cups empty like stock.

If the Z7 is truly as comfortable as reviewed by many here, then they may just replace my ES10 as my go-to semi-portable setup.

I agree with this plan.  The question is what "stuff'"?

I also believe that the gap between the back side of the ear pads and the driver needs filling too...

And on comfort, these things might be comfortable to a fault.  Usually the sweet spot sonically for a headphone is also the most comfortable spot for me.  But theses thing can be on you bass ackwards and inverted and they still feel great after 4 hours of listening.  I wonder how long that French lady had them on backwards for, it that photo?

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #2,840 of 9,173

I posted long ago in here before almost anyone including Jude had these as I know a person here in Japan and I got to listen to 70's rock..Boston's "Foreplay/Long time" track with the pha 3 and hi end sony dap and kimber...the whole set as it was intended to be used and it was amaaaaaazing.

I wrote in that post or the next it seemed clear Sony hopes you get the set as it is presented. It is very impressive. The Z7 only? That's a gamble. The full set. That's not a gamble.
These are not for car audio guys though.

These are working pretty well on the Boston track even without the PHA-3 !   As to car audio I was thinking of my own car systems as opposed to anything, you know, actually good.
biggrin.gif

I can live with overpowered bass as long as it's tight and well defined like on the TH-900s. The measurements of the bass distortion on the Z7s however have me worried.

Bass is definitely less controlled on the Z7 and colors the lower mid range much more than in the 900s.   Coming from the TH-900s to this will not make for a good impression.

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #2,841 of 9,173
OK call me crazy but the more I listened to the 10R the more this sound grew on me so I am now the proud owner of the Z7! So now I have to sell sell sell as I need reduce my inventory of headphones.

So anyone wanting a K712 I will have a pair less than 3 weeks old up for sale or just PM me. I am going to sell them or my Q701 as I will only have room for 1 at home. The K712 is the better of the 2 but I can live with the Q701.

Sitting in my car trying these out with just my LG G3 while clearly not quite the best source, these sound amazing. Listening to Patricia Barber right now and it's simply divine.

The detail level is not as good as my K712 But the sheer musicality is just so good.

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #2,842 of 9,173
OK, I got home and plugged the Z7 into my RWAudio 1 amp and LittleDot DAC1 combo from my computer and the sound is very good. When I first got home I used my reviewer Cyan C5 amp to see how well it worked and it also sounded good but since this headphone is already warm I thought it would work better with a colder or more neutral amp and it does work best with that type of amp and DAC combo.

I am sitting listening to some more Patricia Barber as I type and the sound is simply awesome. it is the antithesis of the AKG signature though as it is thick, warm and intimate while still sounding large. The K712 on the other hand is more distant and airy while having more detail. I think they are a great 1-2 punch as they offer such contrasting takes on my music.

I personally think these have great detail, they just present it in a much more subtle fashion than what I am used to. The beauty of this is I can listen at louder volumes without fatigue.

I understand some people wanting a different signature than what Sony has made but while I understand that desire for a headphone that Sony made in the past or the desire to have a signature that is more like another brands house sound, I think the Z7 is the best iteration of the current round of headphones they have released in the past couple of years. It offers enough detail and clarity to make it clearly stand above the MDR1R.

So as I sit using this in my computer room, I can barely hear anything outside of the music. So while this will not work on a train it is sufficient to block my computer fans and any other electric hums and noises which are very prevalent.

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #2,844 of 9,173
I think anyone hoping for the Z7's to be any kind of neutral or versatile across a spectrum of music is bound to be disappointed. That's just not their strength. That said, I did have a great session with them last night digging through stuff I listen to less frequently these days. These cans are absolutely fantastic with Kruder and Dorfmeister's The K&D Sessions. I've listed to this album literally hundreds of times over the years but the Z7's absolutely blew my mind. I fully understand where the bass heads in this thread are coming from now. Yeah, it wasn't as balanced as the Hd800's. So what. They felt thin and boring on this album in comparison. The Z7's killed it with the deep bass here and had a wide enough soundstage while having height that left me feeling totally enveloped. This sound is something you are only going to get from a closed can with minimal damping.

So, this has me rethinking them again. I already have several cans that do neutral and flexible well. I don't need another, and in fact could do to sell off a set or two. These would be completely unique in my collection even if they weren't my primary go-to everyday set. :)

I feel exactly the same. I think the Z7 is a AV kind of phone which "surrounds" you with music. It is not like you are in a Jazz live house, but more like you are in a IMAX cinema or KTV room.

But for this purpose (movie and average recording quality pop music), will the MA900, or a low end Grado be a much better value for the money?

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #2,845 of 9,173
. The beauty of this is I can listen at louder volumes without fatigue.

An important quality for certain. That's awesome you got the Z7s.

I can see the Z7 as one of those cans where you can really get into the music. My experience with Sony has been pretty good. From the venerable 7506, to the EX600 and now owning a pair of 7550s.

If the price was more around $500 I think I'd probably jump. right now, the MSRP for the Z7s almost the cost of all of my current headphones in my sig!

I've been having an awesome listening session this eve, mostly out of an iPod classic with the 7550 and the D600 - and sort of wishing I had the Z7s to try out :)

Looking forward to hearing more of your impressions.

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #2,846 of 9,173
My z7 impressions last week were based on my favorite songs played back from an ibasso r10. The hd598s are pretty well-rounded but, when matched to the r10, lacked the low end I get from my desktop setup. The z7s to the r10 fixed that and I feel closer to my goal of a somewhat affordable, great sounding portable setup. But, like some others here I believe, the purchase was a touch unnerving.

Others have said this and I agree that comparisons are best for researching unheard gear. We all hear differently but, I'd like to think we at least hear things more accurately (or have trained our ears to do so). We also have different equipment setups and song preferences which can either magnify or mask the chain's capabilities.

With that in mind, is it possible to agree on a handful of easily accessible and capable equipment and songs? Imagine reading multiple impressions about new headphones out of, say, a sansa clip or fiio something or bottlehead (etc.) and with specific tracks/bitrate, then comparing them with other headphones using the same basic test setup.

It wouldn't be perfect (or perhaps even unpleasant based on the song) but at least we'd all have a better chance of mimicking said setup to know if the new gear might meet our individual requirements.

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #2,847 of 9,173
  OK, I got home and plugged the Z7 into my RWAudio 1 amp and LittleDot DAC1 combo from my computer and the sound is very good. When I first got home I used my reviewer Cyan C5 amp to see how well it worked and it also sounded good but since this headphone is already warm I thought it would work better with a colder or more neutral amp and it does work best with that type of amp and DAC combo.

I am sitting listening to some more Patricia Barber as I type and the sound is simply awesome. it is the antithesis of the AKG signature though as it is thick, warm and intimate while still sounding large. The K712 on the other hand is more distant and airy while having more detail. I think they are a great 1-2 punch as they offer such contrasting takes on my music.

I personally think these have great detail, they just present it in a much more subtle fashion than what I am used to. The beauty of this is I can listen at louder volumes without fatigue.

I understand some people wanting a different signature than what Sony has made but while I understand that desire for a headphone that Sony made in the past or the desire to have a signature that is more like another brands house sound, I think the Z7 is the best iteration of the current round of headphones they have released in the past couple of years. It offers enough detail and clarity to make it clearly stand above the MDR1R.

So as I sit using this in my computer room, I can barely hear anything outside of the music. So while this will not work on a train it is sufficient to block my computer fans and any other electric hums and noises which are very prevalent.

Congrats! How is is the noise isolation say next to the K545s?

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #2,848 of 9,173
An important quality for certain. That's awesome you got the Z7s.

I can see the Z7 as one of those cans where you can really get into the music. My experience with Sony has been pretty good. From the venerable 7506, to the EX600 and now owning a pair of 7550s.

If the price was more around $500 I think I'd probably jump. right now, the MSRP for the Z7s almost the cost of all of my current headphones in my sig!

I've been having an awesome listening session this eve, mostly out of an iPod classic with the 7550 and the D600 - and sort of wishing I had the Z7s to try out
smily_headphones1.gif

Looking forward to hearing more of your impressions.

The pricing of this headphone is what agitates me more than anything.

I know this headphone isn't terrible at all. I just hate the pricing of this headphone to no end.

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #2,849 of 9,173

With that in mind, is it possible to agree on a handful of easily accessible and capable equipment and songs? Imagine reading multiple impressions about new headphones out of, say, a sansa clip or fiio something or bottlehead (etc.) and with specific tracks/bitrate, then comparing them with other headphones using the same basic test setup.

It wouldn't be perfect (or perhaps even unpleasant based on the song) but at least we'd all have a better chance of mimicking said setup to know if the new gear might meet our individual requirements.

Graphs aren't perfect. Nothing is.

Comparing cans REQUIRES and opinions should include exact settings. It should be the default and it should not be with gear unavailable to 85% of the viewership if they are never going to hear it that way. The extreme thread uses this as the default. If you cannot show it (bass) it never happened and if you do share the settings so it can be confirmed.
Opinions are worth less than zero. Who the ____ are you?? How you gonna get someone to spend money with well typed sentences filled with audiophile lingo?

You are suggesting something we already do because it's easy with sub- bass but it should be the default system for comparing all cans with common equipment and a universal track or set of tracks and exact settings used and confirmed by multiple users with pic proof of possession of said cans and chain.

The paper is for sub bass energy and is just a final proof of over ear impressions and it is fun. Create a channel with a few trusted members and easy to imitate criteria for the public and build a video library of opinions/reviews based on exact repeatable settings that are shared. It would be the next step for this site. If you go the "committee" route it will fail as too many chefs spoil the ____.  Keep it simple and exert ruthless control and adherence to rules. Any folks using their favorite alternate track or using a uber expensive item in their chain do not get in the library. If it even smells like a fanboy club it will lose all credibility.

I hope folks pick up on the need to change the chaos of random bizzarre claims mixed with well thought out and explained ones. For the average non member it is tough to see who is who and what is what. Ask a mod to peek my PM section. Filled with new and old folks asking for more info based on the trust gained by showing and sharing.

TOP 10  October 2014 

1. J.V.C HA-SZ2000 

Driver size: 55mm "Sub-woofer"/ 30mm CNT  

Impedance:16 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Exceptional +30dB @45Hz
EQ: Needs
Genre' (anything)
Weakness: Veiled , Poor stock pads.

DAP: COWON iAudio10

EQ:
5 Band (Flat)

JetEffects :
BBE+8
Mach3Bass +9
Volume: 34

AMP: FiiO e12

Bass Boost "on"
Gain switch "on"
Vol 50-60%

2. FOSTEX TH900

Driver size: 50mm dia Nd magnet

Impedance 25 Ohm
Amp Headroom: 

EQ: Needs (raise bass only)
Genre' Anything
Weakness:...Price?

AP: COWON iAudio10  
EQ:
5 Band (Flat)

JetEffects :
BBE+8
Mach3Bass +9

Bass Boost "on"
Gain switch "on"
Vol 50-60%

3. Sony XB1000

Driver size: 70mm Mylar (PET) 

Impedance 24 Ohm
Amp Headroom: ?
Genre' (HipHop/EDM/?)
Weakness:pillow pads absorb too much of the hit.

EQ:
5 Band (Flat)

JetEffects :
BBE+8
Mach3Bass +9

Bass Boost "on"
Gain switch "on"
Vol 50-60%

4. J.V.C HA-SZ1000   

Driver size: 55mm "Sub-woofer"/ 30mm CNT                                                                                                        

​
Impedance 16 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Exceptional +30dB @45Hz
Genre' (anything)
Weakness: less veiled than sz2k but veiled , Poor stock pads.  

DAP: ipad  
EQ:
"Equalizer" app
42Hz Q 1.000 +7.9dB
51Hz Q 1.000 +7.7dB
78Hz Q 5.000 +2.8dB

Bass Boost "on"
Gain switch "on"
Vol 50-60%

5. FOSTEX TH600                          

Driver size: Driver:50mm dia Nd magnet / bio-dynamic diaphragm

Impedance 25 Ohm
Amp Headroom: 
Genre' Anything

Weakness:.

AP: COWON iAudio10

EQ:
5 Band (Flat)

JetEffects :
BBE+8
Mach3Bass +9

Bass Boost "on"
Gain switch "on"
Vol 50-60%

6. JVC HA-MR77x

Driver size: 57mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 46 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Good/Great 16-20dB @45Hz

EQ: Needs (to raise mids)
Genre' (Hip-Hop)
Weakness: mids sound like ass.

EQ:
5 Band (Flat)

JetEffects :
BBE+8
Mach3Bass +9

Bass Boost "on"
Gain switch "on"
Vol 50-60%

7. HPH Yamaha Pro 500

Driver size: 50mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 32 Ohm
Amp Headroom: ?
Genre' (Anything)
Weakness:pad size (shallow)

EQ:
5 Band (Flat)

JetEffects :
BBE+8
Mach3Bass +9

Bass Boost "on"
Gain switch "on"
Vol 50-60%

8.Audio Technica -ATH Pro700mk2

Driver size: 53mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 68 Ohm
Genre' (Anything)

EQ:
5 Band (Flat)

JetEffects :
BBE+8
Mach3Bass +9

Bass Boost "on"
Gain switch "on"
Vol 50-60%

9. V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Impedance 32 Ohm
Genre' (Anything)

EQ:
5 Band (Flat)

JetEffects :
BBE+8
Mach3Bass +9

Bass Boost "on"
Gain switch "on"
Vol 50-60%

10. Monster Beats DETOX Pro

Impedance 32 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Good +14dB @45Hz
Genre' (Hip-Hop/EDM)
Weakness: (?)  

EQ:
5 Band (Flat)

JetEffects :
BBE+8
Mach3Bass +9

Bass Boost "on"
Gain switch "on"
Vol 50-60%

Best 40mm

Driver size: 40mm  Mylar (PET)

Impedance 32 Ohm
EQ: Needs (raise bass only,?)
Genre' (Hip-Hop/EDM/Gaming)
Weakness:Mids like ass?

Configurations used

1. Source
Cowon iAudio10
flat eq,
Mach3Bass +9
BBE+8

AMP
Fiio E12 - 16db gain,
bass boost on,

--------------------
  1. Source
Sony NWZ E473
Clear Bass +3,
flat eq,

AMP
Fiio E12 - 16db gain,
bass boost on,

--------------------
  1. Source
Apple Ipad
App - "Equalizer",
eq,
42Hz Q 1.000 +7.9dB
51Hz Q 1.000 +7.7dB
78Hz Q 5.000 +2.8dB

AMP
Fiio E12 - 16db gain,
bass boost on,

--------------------
  1. Source
HTC ONE M8
BoomSound "on"

AMP
Fiio E11 - 11dB gain,
bass boost on,

Notes & Thoughts

The bass paper test is just a visual of what is heard and felt on ear.  It's pretty damn accurate. The cans you think will do well usually do and the ones that you don't think will... often don't.  
Thanks to the folks that participate and take the time to show new ways to get to basstopia.
If I had a set of cans that hit harder than one on the list I'd do it in a heartbeat, share the exact settings and let my vid replace 500 words of stuff already said about can "A".

If you can lounge around threads talking about not too much really... you could put a face to the bass. I'll eventually get to em' anyway .

_______
Oh I'm not playing that game...it's dumb

or

**plays dumb game...kicks major azz .....and waaaalks away laughing**
______

I'd do the 2nd one cuz I'm competitive like that.

Folks..
There wasn't a wiki or a list to even argue about much less anyone even trying to be creative with an easy to mimic way of showing low energy force.  Nada. Just words.

If you disagree with the list be a productive member and shave 5 minutes off your life showing something.  If you're not a basshead you should just enjoy the view. I don't troll Stax threads or any other thread that is not in my range of interest. This thread is 149 pages of non flaming and name calling. It's been great sans 4 events and one needed a mod and 3 were worked out among adults and self edited. If you have a bad moment I'll ask you to get a hold of yourself
(it happens...we all get wound up sometimes) if you don't edit I'll flag ya and the folks who need to know ...they know this thread is clean. It will stay that way. You have the tracks and EXACT settings from multiple hardware sources.

This is a collection of the hardest hitting cans. Nothing more.
Nobody is claiming anything besides the fact that these 10 will thump your head.
There are no links provided. We do not do sales by proxy. Find your own links.
You proceed with the knowledge that nothing is better than a personal listening experience.

Nov 2, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #2,850 of 9,173
Paper is good for bass but how can treble or mids be tested? I look at the graphs too and am thankful for people like Tyll at innerfidelity but when I looked at the graph for the z7; to me they sound much better than the graphs imply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back