Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Aug 6, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #3,361 of 5,810
Many thanks for the tips on the painting, Weird my XBA-A3 paint started to chip, scrap off despite always having them in their case while moving

Aug 8, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #3,362 of 5,810

The Z5's more durable, had mine for about half a year and only the sides have slightly chip off a bit.

Anyways, anyone tried the "Sony MUC-M2BT1" with the A3 or Z5? Curious about how it performs 
bigsmile_face.gif

http://watchmono.com/blog-entry-6427.html

Hi there seems to be another alternative here but the one review wasnt that good . 

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MUC-M1BT1-Bluetooth-Headphone-XBA-Z5/dp/B00NW35KVG
and these for westone , not sure it fits the sonys. But its via mmcx connection

https://www.amazon.com/Westone-MMCX-Bluetooth-Cable-78548/dp/B01H3XS2ZQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=21YUz2wFjdL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=WF2BPR1HSDTTFHH7N9Z9

Aug 8, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #3,363 of 5,810
The westone cabke will probably fit but because the IEM will have free movement it might cause the IEM to develop a short over time. The Sony MUC2 cable will lock the IEM with its proprietary design eliminating this concern. The MUC1 does seem to be a first attempt by Sony and nit as good the the MUC2. The challenge with the MUC2 is finding a pair...

Aug 8, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #3,364 of 5,810
This seems to be a review comparing the older and newer versions..
http://www.call-t.co.jp/blog/mt/archives/entry/017058.html

But Where does it say that there is a locking mechanism for the sonys ?

There seems to be no review about these but this leads me to the question as to why would anyone use bluetooth that will degrade the sound quality and i think the z5 sounds best with a good amp/dac anyways . 

Aug 9, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #3,365 of 5,810
  Tried the cable with the A3 and it add more refinement, more detail, especially in the high and mid range, subtler details are geard.  BTW in December I will buy the Z7 when I travel to germany

In case you're interested, currently the online Sony store here in Mexico is carrying the Z7. Although a bit pricey it seems it's actually a little cheaper that in some other places such as Amazon

Aug 9, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #3,366 of 5,810

Tried the cable with the A3 and it add more refinement, more detail, especially in the high and mid range, subtler details are geard.  BTW in December I will buy the Z7 when I travel to germany

In case you're interested, currently the online Sony store here in Mexico is carrying the Z7. Although a bit pricey it seems it's actually a little cheaper that in some other places such as Amazon

Oh Thanks i will check it, yeah sony mexico is rather pricey, will check amazon too

Aug 9, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #3,367 of 5,810
  Oh Thanks i will check it, yeah sony mexico is rather pricey, will check amazon too

I've seen the Z7 go for about the same $$$ at Sony Mexico and Amazon, but if you buy directly with Sony Mexico you also have the warranty just a phone call away in case you need it (hopefully not)
Since seeing them as available I've been considering buying them, but it's hard to justify the expense...

Back to the topic at hand, has anyone listened and/or compared the Z5 to the XBA-4?! That's the best IEM I have and I like it very much, and I'd like to know how one performs against the other

Aug 12, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #3,368 of 5,810
  I've seen the Z7 go for about the same $$$ at Sony Mexico and Amazon, but if you buy directly with Sony Mexico you also have the warranty just a phone call away in case you need it (hopefully not)
Since seeing them as available I've been considering buying them, but it's hard to justify the expense...

Back to the topic at hand, has anyone listened and/or compared the Z5 to the XBA-4?! That's the best IEM I have and I like it very much, and I'd like to know how one performs against the other

I used to own the XBA-4. There is no comparison. IMO the XBA-4 was a major flop by Sony (especially considering the MSRP). 

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #3,369 of 5,810

I used to own the XBA-4. There is no comparison. IMO the XBA-4 was a major flop by Sony (especially considering the MSRP). 

I agree the MSRP was insane, but it seems to fall exactly into the same category of other IEMs from different manufacturers that just throw in more drivers and a crazy-high price and call it a day.
I really like the sound out of the XBA-4 but that's just my preference. According to your opinion, what are the major differences between the XBA-4 and the Z5?

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #3,370 of 5,810
  I agree the MSRP was insane, but it seems to fall exactly into the same category of other IEMs from different manufacturers that just throw in more drivers and a crazy-high price and call it a day.
I really like the sound out of the XBA-4 but that's just my preference. According to your opinion, what are the major differences between the XBA-4 and the Z5?

The main thing you will hear going from the XBA-4 to Z5 is the huge jump in warmth and overall resolution. Everything will sound more natural and the instruments are fuller-bodied. Simply put, it sounds more realistic with a huge bassline due the dynamic driver. 

The XBA-4 can sound a bit more nimble and quicker on some tracks but overall is far behind the Z5 IMO, especially pairing the latter balanced. 

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #3,371 of 5,810
The Z5's more durable, had mine for about half a year and only the sides have slightly chip off a bit.

Anyways, anyone tried the "Sony MUC-M2BT1" with the A3 or Z5? Curious about how it performs :bigsmile_face:

http://watchmono.com/blog-entry-6427.html

Hello, I have MUC-M2BT1 with XBA-A3 usually and I also have a pair of XBA-Z5. Last week I get NW-ZX2 with the intention of using it via LDAC with M2BT1. I only have used it with A3 and the sound is fantastic for me, I make some comparison via wired and both sound great for me. This night I was comparing a DSD file via BT with LDAC reproduction and SBC forced reproduction in M2BT1 and maybe my ears are bad but I don't find difference in SQ at all (both are great).

One thing I have discovered is that M2BT1 can be paired simultaneously with ZX2 and iPhone. When you are listening to music and income a call, the M2BT1 stops the music and enter the call. It's fantastic!

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #3,372 of 5,810

The main thing you will hear going from the XBA-4 to Z5 is the huge jump in warmth and overall resolution. Everything will sound more natural and the instruments are fuller-bodied. Simply put, it sounds more realistic with a huge bassline due the dynamic driver. 

The XBA-4 can sound a bit more nimble and quicker on some tracks but overall is far behind the Z5 IMO, especially pairing the latter balanced. 

Sounds nice!!!
I've always liked the bass on the XBA-4 even though I think it sounds very 'balanced armature'-like, but I've found myself enjoying the bass on my XBA-H1 a little more for some tracks maybe due to the dynamic driver.

I'm still looking for some new cans or IEMs as a late birthday present to myself, but I've been pondering the idea of going for something more high end (even if it's lower high end) so I can stop going through equipment and save a little money in the long run, and maybe consider them as end-game

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #3,373 of 5,810
  Sounds nice!!!
I've always liked the bass on the XBA-4 even though I think it sounds very 'balanced armature'-like, but I've found myself enjoying the bass on my XBA-H1 a little more for some tracks maybe due to the dynamic driver.

I'm still looking for some new cans or IEMs as a late birthday present to myself, but I've been pondering the idea of going for something more high end (even if it's lower high end) so I can stop going through equipment and save a little money in the long run, and maybe consider them as end-game

Don't let price dictate the "value" of a product. Although the Z5 is priced far from "high-end", it is very much a TOTL IEM. The only downside is that it is meant for home use. It is not out-door friendly as it leaks sound out and lets sound in.

Aug 15, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #3,374 of 5,810
I have to agree with cutier23. I recently got a balanced mmcx cable for my pono player to see if balanced makes my other earphones sound as nice as my Z5 balanced.

Without a doubt in my mind I have nothing I owned or heard the comes close to the Z5 in balanced mode using the Pono. I was thinking my FX850 or my Primo 8 would somehow become better sounding when balanced but nope. The FX850 balanced comes too bloated in the bass and ends up sounding cheap. Primo 8 sound too mid focused and hides some treble and bass and make the earphone sound too closed in. Both these earphone sound so much better single ended with silver cables.

The synergy of the Z5 in balanced mode is a treat every time I hear it. I have yet to hear anything come close to it in how it sounds. Unless Sony decide to refine the sound of the Z5 even more so with something new. I would say snap one up before they stop making them.

Aug 15, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #3,375 of 5,810

Don't let price dictate the "value" of a product. Although the Z5 is priced far from "high-end", it is very much a TOTL IEM. The only downside is that it is meant for home use. It is not out-door friendly as it leaks sound out and lets sound in.

Never! With "high end" I was referring to SQ, less so about price. After reading this whole thread I've seen people refer to this IEM as something that stands above its price with build and sound quality that shines straight out of your DAP of choice and scales well enough with better equipment. That is why I'm considering it, something very top-of-the-line in all aspects except price that maybe leads to fewer equipment purchases, maybe even end-game

I have to agree with cutier23. I recently got a balanced mmcx cable for my pono player to see if balanced makes my other earphones sound as nice as my Z5 balanced.

Without a doubt in my mind I have nothing I owned or heard the comes close to the Z5 in balanced mode using the Pono. I was thinking my FX850 or my Primo 8 would somehow become better sounding when balanced but nope. The FX850 balanced comes too bloated in the bass and ends up sounding cheap. Primo 8 sound too mid focused and hides some treble and bass and make the earphone sound too closed in. Both these earphone sound so much better single ended with silver cables.

The synergy of the Z5 in balanced mode is a treat every time I hear it. I have yet to hear anything come close to it in how it sounds. Unless Sony decide to refine the sound of the Z5 even more so with something new. I would say snap one up before they stop making them.

I've been thinking the exact same thing, scoop one up before SONY decides it's just not worth making them anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back