Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jul 29, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #3,347 of 5,805
Has anyone else tried to EQ the Z5's low end (below 500) down to neutral levels? I've done this and I have to say the results are VERY enjoyable. Just want to know what others think. 

For me, removing that bassy booty the Z5 is known for really gives them air and opens them up so they arent dark anymore. The bass can still hit phenomenally hard, but the amount of it is no longer coloring the sound.

Jul 30, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #3,349 of 5,805
Can anyone tell me if the Fireye HDB Balanced Portable Amplifier will work and if it would be a good match with the z5?

That uses a different connector for balanced mode so aside from having a cable made to use that connector or an adapter of some kind the answer is no.

Assuming this is the model your talking about. As discussed in this thread.

Aug 5, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #3,352 of 5,805
I have had my Z5's for a week now and paired to my ZX2 they sound awesome. I am hearing sounds that I never really heard with my Shure 535's and I'm sure as the hours build they might sound even better!

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #3,353 of 5,805
a couple of questions because i want to jump in the Z5 after using the A3 for almos a year

1)the paint of the Z5 does nto peel off, comes off easy? i know sony's choice of certain paints over time with use will peel off and look nasty plastic

2) The SQ has been described as "dark" but huge soundstage, they are still great for classical music (medieval to romantic periods, incl. baroque)?

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #3,354 of 5,805
No peeling on mine at all and o think tbese excel with classical music.

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #3,355 of 5,805
thanks @dweaver for the reply, i will hold my bretah to IFA in september and if sony does not release any new IEM flagship then i get a Z5

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #3,356 of 5,805
Didn't Sony remove balanced playback from their latest highend portable? If so, they will probably drop the feature on their earphones. With IEMs we can still switch to custom balanced cables, as long as the cables are detachable. Headphones would also work this way as long as they don't combine the grounds internally. 

I really like balanced playback. Makes a big difference on the PonoPlayer. Would still like some XBA-Z5. Saw that Best Buy had my Sony XBA-H1on sale for half price. They don't have detachable cables and sren't balanced. Guess new models are on the way.

Aug 6, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #3,357 of 5,805
  a couple of questions because i want to jump in the Z5 after using the A3 for almos a year

1)the paint of the Z5 does nto peel off, comes off easy? i know sony's choice of certain paints over time with use will peel off and look nasty plastic

2) The SQ has been described as "dark" but huge soundstage, they are still great for classical music (medieval to romantic periods, incl. baroque)?

The actual paint doesn't peel off. I've had mine for over 6 months now.
However, the embellished SONY logo does seem to have faded off. 

Aug 6, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #3,359 of 5,805

The Z5's more durable, had mine for about half a year and only the sides have slightly chip off a bit.

Anyways, anyone tried the "Sony MUC-M2BT1" with the A3 or Z5? Curious about how it performs 
bigsmile_face.gif

http://watchmono.com/blog-entry-6427.html

Aug 6, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #3,360 of 5,805

The Z5's more durable, had mine for about half a year and only the sides have slightly chip off a bit.

Anyways, anyone tried the "Sony MUC-M2BT1" with the A3 or Z5? Curious about how it performs 
bigsmile_face.gif

http://watchmono.com/blog-entry-6427.html

Tried the cable with the A3 and it add more refinement, more detail, especially in the high and mid range, subtler details are geard.  BTW in December I will buy the Z7 when I travel to germany

Users who are viewing this thread

Back