Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Aug 15, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #3,376 of 5,810

I have to agree with cutier23. I recently got a balanced mmcx cable for my pono player to see if balanced makes my other earphones sound as nice as my Z5 balanced.

Without a doubt in my mind I have nothing I owned or heard the comes close to the Z5 in balanced mode using the Pono. I was thinking my FX850 or my Primo 8 would somehow become better sounding when balanced but nope. The FX850 balanced comes too bloated in the bass and ends up sounding cheap. Primo 8 sound too mid focused and hides some treble and bass and make the earphone sound too closed in. Both these earphone sound so much better single ended with silver cables.

The synergy of the Z5 in balanced mode is a treat every time I hear it. I have yet to hear anything come close to it in how it sounds. Unless Sony decide to refine the sound of the Z5 even more so with something new. I would say snap one up before they stop making them.

I've been thinking the exact same thing, scoop one up before SONY decides it's just not worth making them anymore

Me too, currently have an XBA-A3 and wondering how much a difference in SQ is the Z5 vs A3

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #3,377 of 5,810
The XBA4 to XBA-Z5 is a significant change as the first model is a closed BA based IEM versus a hybrid design. The A3 to Z5 on the other hand is hybrid vs hybrid and both were designed at the same time and are two revisions newer. This means their differences are less dramatic sonically and become more prone to preference versus just sonic proficiency, plus the obvious differences in material quality such as better quality drivers, cable improvements and IEM shell materials.

Having said all that I am 100% in agreement with Dsnuts and Cuiter23. The one thing I will stress though is how much better I like the Z5 balanved than single ended. More than any IEM I have owned the Z5 gets better as you feed it better. Consequently the Z5 may actually not be super impressive comapred to the A3 until you take advantage of its balanced condiguration. In fact since the A3 does not come with a balanced cable and instead comes with a smart phone cable alternative it might be surmised that it was designed for portable sources like phones and smaller players while the Z5 is designed for more powerful configurations so unless your willing to go all in on a Z5rig it might be better to stick with the A3.

Aug 19, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #3,379 of 5,810
Don't let price dictate the "value" of a product. Although the Z5 is priced far from "high-end", it is very much a TOTL IEM. The only downside is that it is meant for home use. It is not out-door friendly as it leaks sound out and lets sound in.
I have had the z5's for about 3 weeks now and I find they are great for traveling. I commute by train everyday and with a good pair of ear buds the sound does not leak out at all and it cuts about 85% of the external sound out. I have the Shure 535's and the z5 is better sounding and better isolating so I don't think anyone can go wrong!

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #3,380 of 5,810
I have had the z5's for about 3 weeks now and I find they are great for traveling. I commute by train everyday and with a good pair of ear buds the sound does not leak out at all and it cuts about 85% of the external sound out. I have the Shure 535's and the z5 is better sounding and better isolating so I don't think anyone can go wrong!

Hmmm... the Z5 better isolating than the 535? That's the first time I've heard that lol. I used to own the 215, 315, 425, and 535 and they all have far superior isolation than my A3 / Z5. In addition, the wind noise on the A3 / Z5 is quite annoying as well. 

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #3,381 of 5,810
Hmmm... the Z5 better isolating than the 535? That's the first time I've heard that lol. I used to own the 215, 315, 425, and 535 and they all have far superior isolation than my A3 / Z5. In addition, the wind noise on the A3 / Z5 is quite annoying as well. 
I think it is because of the position of the z5's in your ear and the fact that only the ear bud is actually in contact with your ear that a seal is more successful. Fortunately for me there is no wind in the train!

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #3,382 of 5,810
The isolation of the Z5 is only average for me as well and like the other poster it has wind noise. But damn does it ever sound good even with those issues. I used my Z5 today instead of my new MDR-100ABN just as a change of gears and while the 100ABN is great for isolation (aside from it's own wind noise issues) and a fine sounding headphone, there is just something about the Z5's ability immerse me in the music. The 3D imaging and sound stage is just so much better than any other IEM and most headphones I have owned.

Aug 22, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #3,383 of 5,810
Hi all just a question with regards to the MUC-S12SM1 upgrade cable. I noticed that the cord thickness is not the same, The right channel is thicker than the left. Does anyone know why ??

PS.Loving the sound signatures from this btw driven from the 6s plus with JDS C5 amp with bass boost on !!

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #3,384 of 5,810
Hope sucessors of the xba line in the IFA WOOOOOOOOOOOT, they will release a new apparent ZX2 or zx100 sucessor and a new headphone amp and a new Z7 sucessor open-back

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #3,385 of 5,810
Hope sucessors of the xba line in the IFA WOOOOOOOOOOOT, they will release a new apparent ZX2 or zx100 sucessor and a new headphone amp and a new Z7 sucessor open-back

Also anxiously waiting for next Thursday (and then the 6th for LG's announcement and then the Nexus announcements). An XBA-A3 sound and a slimmer fit would be awesome. One can dream...

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #3,386 of 5,810
  Me too, currently have an XBA-A3 and wondering how much a difference in SQ is the Z5 vs A3

Lol, you've been asking this since the beginning of time. Time to pick up a Z5, you will appreciate the upgrade in sound over the A3.

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #3,387 of 5,810

Lol, you've been asking this since the beginning of time. Time to pick up a Z5, you will appreciate the upgrade in sound over the A3.

I may be picking one and a new walkman, I love the SQ of my ZX100 but the quality of the building, if it wasn't for this i would hve kept my zx100 more time

Aug 28, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #3,389 of 5,810
i had a Sony XBA Z5 for about 12 month since purchase for daily listening indoor or outdoor... i want to get the upgrade cable sony muc for my Z5.  is cable give the difference a day and night for Sony Muc compared to the Stock cable ?

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #3,390 of 5,810
  i had a Sony XBA Z5 for about 12 month since purchase for daily listening indoor or outdoor... i want to get the upgrade cable sony muc for my Z5.  is cable give the difference a day and night for Sony Muc compared to the Stock cable ?

​I have a pair of XBA-A3 nad have the upgrade cable and yeah a difference is made, more refined and detailed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back