Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jun 28, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #4,921 of 9,645
Clamping force of the Z1R is not very strong, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I've heard they're good for gaming but haven't trued myself.

They're less treble-focused, warmer, darker and less thin sounding than the 800S.

However, I listen to similar music and find them a bit too relaxed for that genre. I prefer the IER-Z1R for electronic music and the MDR-Z1R for some acoustic stuff. YMMV.

Agreed with everything here. Clamp force is quite soft for me as well

Jun 28, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #4,925 of 9,645
OMG is this the Headphones Z1R thread, my bad :frowning2: Sorry guys
Haha, no problem, my friend. I figured that you were in the wrong thread. 😉

Anyway, I hope that you find the answer to your question. Enjoy the IER-Z1R!

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #4,927 of 9,645
Almost tempted just to find out if I could hear a difference.
Almost.
I actually went for it. 1.2 m is a bit short and 3.0 m is too long for my desktop use. Hoping 2.0 m is a sweet spot for me.

I don't care about the supposed quality, it's still a stupid amount to pay for a cable, but I did. Almost canceled 2 hours later (on basic principle and remembering my previous cable adventures/waste of resources), but then I thought that I can just send it back if I decide it doesn't do anything for me.

This way I will be completing the Sony hifi standard collection (minus the wm1a/z) and no one can tell me I "didn't use it correctly". :) I might still end up selling everything except the IER and ZX300 is a couple of months, but at least I won't be curious anymore.

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #4,929 of 9,645
I actually went for it. 1.2 m is a bit short and 3.0 m is too long for my desktop use. Hoping 2.0 m is a sweet spot for me.

I don't care about the supposed quality, it's still a stupid amount to pay for a cable, but I did. Almost canceled 2 hours later (on basic principle and remembering my previous cable adventures/waste of resources), but then I thought that I can just send it back if I decide it doesn't do anything for me.

This way I will be completing the Sony hifi standard collection (minus the wm1a/z) and no one can tell me I "didn't use it correctly". :) I might still end up selling everything except the IER and ZX300 is a couple of months, but at least I won't be curious anymore.
Lol, you threw money at Kimber? I wouldn't have expected that, but I'm very curious to hear your impressions!

(I have to confess I briefly had the last unit on Amazon.nl in my shopping cart but was quite relieved when they wouldn't ship to Germany for some reason. :D From which one did you order, and how much was it, if you don't mind my asking?)

Jun 28, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #4,931 of 9,645
For those who love the MDR-Z1R, what IEM have you heard or used that you feel gets close to giving you a similar amount of satisfaction?

My best IEM is the IER-Z1R but while it's great for when I need portability, it does not come close enough to give me the same pleasure that the MDR does.

Jun 28, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #4,932 of 9,645
For those who love the MDR-Z1R, what IEM have you heard or used that you feel gets close to giving you a similar amount of satisfaction?

My best IEM is the IER-Z1R but while it's great for when I need portability, it does not come close enough to give me the same pleasure that the MDR does.

I really like the Noble Encore Universal. It ends up complementary to both the IER/MDR-Z1R. Though they may not be everyone’s cup of tea. It’s a W signature with both a pulled lower midrange creating focus on a non-pushed regular midrange....plus a slight lower treble dip and treble spike. Makes things sound live, as well as do most all genres, though missing a little low physicality for EDM?
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/noble-audio-kaiser-encore.22120/

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #4,933 of 9,645

Campfire Solaris SE using DHC Clone Silver balance cable.

Jun 28, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #4,934 of 9,645
I really like the Noble Encore Universal. It ends up complementary to both the IER/MDR-Z1R. Though they may not be everyone’s cup of tea. It’s a W signature with both a pulled lower midrange creating focus on a non-pushed regular midrange....plus a slight lower treble dip and treble spike. Makes things sound live, as well as do most all genres, though missing a little low physicality for EDM?
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/noble-audio-kaiser-encore.22120/
Do you think there’s a way to improve the clamp force to make it less cumbersome or is it just if doesn’t I’m out of luck?

Jun 28, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #4,935 of 9,645
I would take the Z7 over the Stellia. I like the Clears but not that much and I'd sell them to get the Z1Rs. I'm considering it. The pads on the clears are horrible.

FWIW, I much prefer the Z1R (used to own) over the Z7s and the Stellia are the only closed-back headphones that I can safely say that I am in no way sacrificing sound quality for noise isolation/leakage (including the Z1R...which I can't say that).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back