Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jun 27, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #4,907 of 9,645
I hope to one day hear such a difference myself -- or maybe I'm blessed that I can't.

Well my "ability" (illusion?) to tell a difference seems to come and go. Last time I compared again I hardly noticed anything except treble still feeling slightly less rolled off with the stock cable. When I was using the copper cables there were times I wished stuff like snares had more definition and decay (especially right after coming off the IERs), which is what prompted me to do this comparison and pay particular attention to it. But yeah, I wouldn't swear by any of this.

Jun 27, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #4,908 of 9,645
Jun 27, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #4,909 of 9,645
Jun 27, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #4,910 of 9,645
would the Z1R have better soundstage then the hd 650 or about the same as the lcd2 classic? and how is the imaging compared to those?

and do they clamp less then the lcd2 classic? i wear glasses and im not fan on how tight the lcd2 classics clamp make my glasses feel on my face, for example when i tried the hd 800 s, that was perfect in terms of clamp force

and how are the Z1R for gaming? not competitive but overall like single player games also since i play just about every kind of genre of games?

and do the Z1R have less treble then the hd 800 s ?

i loved the hd 800 s for gaming and some music but for dance/edm style of music i mainly listen too they did not sound as good as my lcd2 classics for that type of music, and i dont want to have to switch headphones for diferent types of music or for gaming, so the Z1R based on what i read sound like they would be great for the dance/edm type of music i listened to mainly and gaming also while being a lot lighter then the lcd2 classics and having less clamp which is also something i am looking for

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #4,911 of 9,645
would the Z1R have better soundstage then the hd 650 or about the same as the lcd2 classic? and how is the imaging compared to those?

and do they clamp less then the lcd2 classic?
Honestly, I cannot remember if the Z1R trumps the other 2 in soundstage size. However, for open-back headphones, neither the HD650 nor the LCD-2 Classic is particularly adept at presenting a wide and deep stage.

The LCD-2 Classic has a stronger clamp than the Z1R, though. Plus, it's a lot heavier. These combined factors will result in a more uncomfortable listening session, IMO.

Jun 27, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #4,912 of 9,645
Honestly, I cannot remember if the Z1R trumps the other 2 in soundstage size. However, for open-back headphones, neither the HD650 nor the LCD-2 Classic is particularly adept at presenting a wide and deep stage.

The LCD-2 Classic has a stronger clamp than the Z1R, though. Plus, it's a lot heavier. These combined factors will result in a more uncomfortable listening session, IMO.

thanks, im not sure if it was clear but i own the lcd2 classics, and what you said about them is why i am looking for something else the would be lighter and have less clamp while still sounding great for for all types of audio, since i use my headphones as my primary and only audio device, so for music, gaming, and everything else that has audio

and lately my autism and anxiety/ocd have been unbearbale lately, so the heavy wieght and tight clamp of the lcd2 classics have made me not looking forward to using them anymore unfortunately

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #4,913 of 9,645
thanks, im not sure if it was clear but i own the lcd2 classics, and what you said about them is why i am looking for something else the would be lighter and have less clamp while still sounding great for for all types of audio, since i use my headphones as my primary and only audio device, so for music, gaming, and everything else that has audio
Well, I don't have an LCD-2 Classic, but I have the LCD-2 Closed Back (which is slightly heavier). The latter clamps a fair bit harder, and is also over 200g heavier. After about 45 minutes to an hour, my neck will be feeling a little sore. I don't experience this with the Z1R.

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #4,914 of 9,645
I wasn't much of a believer either but I did some blind swaps and I could tell the difference every time. For analog copper vs silver plated copper seems to make a noticeable difference in this case. I think in my setup it's worse because I use the TA for the Z1R and the TA seems to be a warm amp also, so this is triple warm, I need to change at least one part of the setup for more balance, it seems. The copper cable may work well with another amp, but I like the TA too much so if something has to go it's the cable. That's why I want to try pure silver, even though I could be happy with the stock cable also. I prefer that than to go down the EQ rabbit hole.
These are good points. I have been using the Sony Kimber Balanced with the TA and MDR-Z1R. I should retry the stock cable SPC cable. At one point, I tried to get a silver cable for the MDR, but the cost and time quotes for deliver were too crazy.

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #4,916 of 9,645
Did anyone try to polish the shell of Z1R use metal polisher?

C43907C5-3328-4454-87EF-A78615D603F3.jpeg

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #4,918 of 9,645
It's a good idea. Would apply some ceramic coating after polish as well, such as w/ car detailing for scratch resistance and hydrophobic properties.

Surely we are taking about the IER-Z1R?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #4,919 of 9,645

and do they clamp less then the lcd2 classic? i wear glasses and im not fan on how tight the lcd2 classics clamp make my glasses feel on my face, for example when i tried the hd 800 s, that was perfect in terms of clamp force

and how are the Z1R for gaming? not competitive but overall like single player games also since i play just about every kind of genre of games?

i loved the hd 800 s for gaming and some music but for dance/edm style of music i mainly listen too they did not sound as good as my lcd2 classics for that type of music, and i dont want to have to switch headphones for diferent types of music or for gaming, so the Z1R based on what i read sound like they would be great for the dance/edm type of music i listened to mainly and gaming also while being a lot lighter then the lcd2 classics and having less clamp which is also something i am looking for
Clamping force of the Z1R is not very strong, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I've heard they're good for gaming but haven't tried myself.

They're less treble-focused, warmer, darker and less thin sounding than the 800S.

However, I listen to similar music and find them a bit too relaxed for that genre. I prefer the IER-Z1R for electronic music and the MDR-Z1R for some acoustic stuff. YMMV.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #4,920 of 9,645

Personally, I find the clamp force strong. Even after adjusting the height, they put pressure on my neck after listening to them for 40 minutes. I felt fatigued. They have an expansive soundstage, so I think they are good for gaming. Good luck with whatever you decide

Users who are viewing this thread

Back