Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jul 1, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #4,951 of 9,644
Cable has arrived...

15936143251391273222242629233929.jpg

Jul 1, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #4,952 of 9,644
The MDR-Z1R has a unique sound; it's difficult to find something that sounds similar. I'm just glad that it exists at all - the signature is an acquired taste, but once you fall in love with it, it sticks with you for a long time.
that's what Sony usually does with their Halo headphones basically, R10, Qualia 010, Z1R, they're all nothing like what the competitor has on offer when they were released. so different from what's becoming the norm, Its'a also what usually makes them either a Legend OR a Flop.
Cable has arrived...

How stiff thank looks is still what dissuades me the most from buying one for my Z7...

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #4,953 of 9,644
that's what Sony usually does with their Halo headphones basically, R10, Qualia 010, Z1R, they're all nothing like what the competitor has on offer when they were released.
True. Sometimes, I think that they do what they do because they think they can do it. They don't want to follow the contemporary market; Sony wants to pave its own path. They certainly have their list of detractors, but also, a bunch of rabid, passionate fans.

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #4,954 of 9,644
How stiff thank looks is still what dissuades me the most from buying one for my Z7...
Most people seem to think that the kimber variant is a more premium feeling cable, but for me it is a clear downgrade as far as build and ergonomics are concerned ... and I don't find it all that pretty to look at either.

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #4,955 of 9,644
Most people seem to think that the kimber variant is a more premium feeling cable, but for me it is a clear downgrade as far as build and ergonomics are concerned ... and I don't find it all that pretty to look at either.

I think you have to romanticize copper and braiding to see this cable as good-looking, otherwise it will feel ugly. At least it does feel more premium quality than the stock cable, which is not bad but looks generic (except the 3.5/4.4 connectors, which look very nice).

Any sound impressions?

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #4,956 of 9,644
Jul 1, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #4,957 of 9,644
Really wish we had the option to delete posts. Once again wrong thread

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #4,958 of 9,644
Wrong forum

Jul 2, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #4,959 of 9,644
So I've had now a good couple of days with the Sony Kimber 2m balanced cable. Time to share some impressions.

Starting with the build. I'm sorry, I just cannot get on board with this type of construction. The thickness, stiffness, stickiness of the jacket and plasticity are not what I would expect from a boutique cable. The connectors are very nice and the braid is decent I guess, but overall, it's just too unwieldy. But you don't buy a cable like this to jump rope, you buy it to take your listening experience to the next level, so how does it do in that respect?

I think that by now anyone on this forum who recognized my handle or avatar know where I stand when it comes to cables: they all sound the same. So you can imagine my surprise the first time I listened to the Kimber. I didn't want to say anything immediately because I didn't trust that my impressions were not distorted by everything I had read about it. Well, after two days, a lot of A/B testing and even some blind A/B/X testing I'm convinced that it was not an illusion. The first thing that immediately stood out to me was how much deeper and punchier the bass felt. It was not louder or anything like that, it just felt better controlled, like there was no looseness about it, no fuzziness if you will. I never thought that the Z1R sounded fuzzy in the bass, but now going back to the stock cable, it's impossible to not hear it.

The bass cleanliness also made the lower midrange clearer and a bit better separated. Piano notes and their undertones have so much texture now and the timbre is incredible. The rest of the midrange sounds mostly unchanged, but when you get to the treble, the sometimes peaky tonality of the Z1R with its occasionally exaggerated sharpness has been completely tamed as far as I can tell with the music I've tested with. I would describe the treble as being smoother and feeling a lot more balanced and I am now able to extract more detail from the top end. I think the reason for this is twofold. Firstly, the more even presentation makes all notes easier to hear and secondly - and maybe even more important - my mind can relax more because there are no sharp sounds that it needs process away. Truly a immersive experience!

So yeah, I never though this moment would come, but the evidence is right here in front of me and it leaves me no choice but to admit I was wrong: cables can make all the difference in the world...

Psych!!! The cable is already back in its packaging, waiting for me to complete the return formalities with Amazon. You've been a great audience, I thank you! :)

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #4,960 of 9,644
Deleted

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #4,962 of 9,644
So I've had now a good couple of days with the Sony Kimber 2m balanced cable. Time to share some impressions.

Starting with the build. I'm sorry, I just cannot get on board with this type of construction. The thickness, stiffness, stickiness of the jacket and plasticity are not what I would expect from a boutique cable. The connectors are very nice and the braid is decent I guess, but overall, it's just too unwieldy. But you don't buy a cable like this to jump rope, you buy it to take your listening experience to the next level, so how does it do in that respect?

I think that by now anyone on this forum who recognized my handle or avatar know where I stand when it comes to cables: they all sound the same. So you can imagine my surprise the first time I listened to the Kimber. I didn't want to say anything immediately because I didn't trust that my impressions were not distorted by everything I had read about it. Well, after two days, a lot of A/B testing and even some blind A/B/X testing I'm convinced that it was not an illusion. The first thing that immediately stood out to me was how much deeper and punchier the bass felt. It was not louder or anything like that, it just felt better controlled, like there was no looseness about it, no fuzziness if you will. I never thought that the Z1R sounded fuzzy in the bass, but now going back to the stock cable, it's impossible to not hear it.

The bass cleanliness also made the lower midrange clearer and a bit better separated. Piano notes and their undertones have so much texture now and the timbre is incredible. The rest of the midrange sounds mostly unchanged, but when you get to the treble, the sometimes peaky tonality of the Z1R with its occasionally exaggerated sharpness has been completely tamed as far as I can tell with the music I've tested with. I would describe the treble as being smoother and feeling a lot more balanced and I am now able to extract more detail from the top end. I think the reason for this is twofold. Firstly, the more even presentation makes all notes easier to hear and secondly - and maybe even more important - my mind can relax more because there are no sharp sounds that it needs process away. Truly a immersive experience!

So yeah, I never though this moment would come, but the evidence is right here in front of me and it leaves me no choice but to admit I was wrong: cables can make all the difference in the world...

Psych!!! The cable is already back in its packaging, waiting for me to complete the return formalities with Amazon. You've been a great audience, I thank you! :)
I don't quite get it, if you really liked the sound.prrsentation of the kimber, why then you just return it, only because it is stiffer?

Jul 3, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #4,963 of 9,644
I don't quite get it, if you really liked the sound.prrsentation of the kimber, why then you just return it, only because it is stiffer?

Because he wants to brain F with us all, I wasted my life reading hes impressions I think I will never read anything from what he wrights was pointless. I thought to he liked it then he returned it like waaa just because its amazon you return it because you can lol

Jul 3, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #4,965 of 9,644

You almost had us there, mate. :joy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back