Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
May 25, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #4,711 of 9,638
Proud to be a C-? :jecklinsmile:

The treble peak did bother me until the Kimber showed it who’s boss. I’m totally sure I have socks older than many on this thread. Yes, I’m positive my treble perception is diminished, I’m 58. Still Cindy has been used before as a MDR-Z1R allegory, only 50 or so pages back. They choose her to be the MDR-Z1R mascot, due to her imperfections being perfection, something some may miss?

May 25, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #4,712 of 9,638
I didn't mean anything by it. The 10 kHz peak is a meme at this point.

May 25, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #4,713 of 9,638
However, consumers who do not have access to high-end gear, who rely mostly on opinions and reviews to formulate a purchase decision, may be swayed by Crin's views, considering his status in the reviewer trade. What may actually be a subjectively great fit might be disregarded entirely, solely on the basis of a low ranking. Moreover, his reviews are extremely "bite-sized", and offer little in the way of a constructive assessment, critical or otherwise.

Agree, I dont really have access to any shops, so i just buy online and return stuff i dont like. To be honest never heard of Crins's before, my usual go to reviewers are Audiophiliac , Herb (sterephile), Zeos, Josh, Metal, the Headphone show, Darko, Audiohead, Headphone Guru, Headfonics in addition to this website, Redditt etc etc. For me one of the enjoyable parts of our hobby is the research process and going over reviews and reviews. After a while you start noticing trends of what each reviewer likes and dislikes. Right now I am researching for an open back headphone to compliment Z1R and Ive been going all over the place for reviews, and I enjoy the process.

May 25, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #4,714 of 9,638
May 25, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #4,715 of 9,638
The treble peak did bother me until the Kimber showed it who’s boss. I’m totally sure I have socks older than many on this thread. Yes, I’m positive my treble perception is diminished, I’m 58. Still Cindy has been used before as a MDR-Z1R allegory, only 50 or so pages back. They choose her to be the MDR-Z1R mascot, due to her imperfections being perfection, something some may miss?
Interesting allegory. Especially since I find neither having any imperfections. But I get what you guys mean. :)

Agree, I dont really have access to any shops, so i just buy online and return stuff i dont like. To be honest never heard of Crins's before, my usual go to reviewers are Audiophiliac , Herb (sterephile), Zeos, Josh, Metal, the Headphone show, Darko, Audiohead, Headphone Guru, Headfonics in addition to this website, Redditt etc etc. For me one of the enjoyable parts of our hobby is the research process and going over reviews and reviews. After a while you start noticing trends of what each reviewer likes and dislikes. Right now I am researching for an open back headphone to compliment Z1R and Ive been going all over the place for reviews, and I enjoy the process.
I can't digest a lot of Zeos' material. The guy has a lot of enthusiasm, but he often drones on and on about a lot of unrelated stuff. He is entertaining, no doubt. But, you're right, the journey is as entertaining as the destination. That's what makes this hobby so fun.

May 25, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #4,716 of 9,638
May 25, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #4,717 of 9,638
May 25, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #4,718 of 9,638
Can anyone can confirm if this cable will fit the ier-z1r?

Aliexpress US $160.00 | LN006958 16 Core Black OCC Awesome All In 1 Plug Earphone Cable For Sony IER-M7 IER-M9
https://a.aliexpress.com/_d7M7hdR

May 25, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #4,719 of 9,638
Can anyone can confirm if this cable will fit the ier-z1r?

Aliexpress US $160.00 | LN006958 16 Core Black OCC Awesome All In 1 Plug Earphone Cable For Sony IER-M7 IER-M9
https://a.aliexpress.com/_d7M7hdR
Unfortunately I can't say one way or another. But what I can tell you is that one of my biggest regrets in audio is having wasted way to much time and money buying cables from Aliexpress.

Oh, and btw, wrong thread. :)

May 25, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #4,721 of 9,638
For me one of the enjoyable parts of our hobby is the research process and going over reviews and reviews.

Same here. If I'm considering a piece of gear...especially one in kilobuck territory...I'll read everything I can on it. There are some whose thoughts I regard more highly than others but there aren't any I haven't flatly disagreed with at one time or another.

May 25, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #4,722 of 9,638
Am I the only one that didn’t have a problem with the treble peak? Even with the stock cable it sounds fine to me. Or are my ears faulty?

No issue with me, either.

May 26, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #4,724 of 9,638
Speaking of kimber...

After the Axios made an appearance on this thread a couple of weeks ago, I went to the kimber kable website and looked around a bit. Found an interesting passage talking about how Mr. Kimber started out by demonstrating the measurable difference between cables (in the wiring of a dance club).

I was obviously intrigued and contacted Kimber to ask if they still use measurements in their design and manufacturing process. They replied "yes" and pointed me to the product page of one of their speaker cables, which listed inductance and capacitance per meter for that particular cable.

I then said that I'm more interested in their headphone cables and asked if they had measurements showing the performance difference between their Axios cables (Cu and Ag) and the "regular" Kimber cable sold by Sony. They replied that they do not.

Make of this what you will.

May 26, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #4,725 of 9,638
Am I the only one that didn’t have a problem with the treble peak? Even with the stock cable it sounds fine to me. Or are my ears faulty?
No, me neither. Actually, I always thought it could do with a lot more energy in the upper registers. All in all, I sort of agree with Crinacle (and many others) that this is not a great headphone, even though I do own a pair. I just find it a bit boring, and notwithstanding its cost, it sounds more "mid-fi" than "hi-fi" to me, as opposed to the IER-Z1R for example, where Sony hit it out of the park IMO. But it certainly is a matter of taste and preference; I think closed cans just don't do it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back