Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
May 25, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #4,696 of 9,615
Really strange. I'll go back and check the headphones with the players again. But I was much more analytical (or so I thought) than before since the community here has taught me a lot.
If you're really looking to learn (at the cost of becoming a cynic) then I suggest you watch the videos in my signature (not made by me).

May 25, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #4,697 of 9,615
If you're really looking to learn (at the cost of becoming a cynic) then I suggest you watch the videos in my signature (not made by me).
Roger that. I'll dig in provide you feedback (Private or here?). Thank you.

May 25, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #4,698 of 9,615
A lot of the headphones that I like or love, such as the Z1R, Cascade, Stellia, and Elegia, are all listed in the bottom half of the list. They also have 1 thing in common - they are all closed-back cans, and have a distinctly colored sound (even the Stellia).

Crin has done a lot for this community, but at the end of the day, his lists are purely subjective rankings of groups of IEMs and/or headphones. There's no need to sweat it.

Yep...or anybody else's! :wink:

Impressions/reviews/rankings can help us; especially if we find people with similar listening preferences. But...in the end, they're our ears, musical tastes, etc.

May 25, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #4,699 of 9,615
^Indeed.
There is on the other hand also a tendency over Head-Fi to attack anything one might perceive as a negative regarding one’s favourite headphone. This exists in every thread on here...which is odd seeing as most of us can agree to this hobby being wholly subjective.
Yet people still chastise others with different tastes than themselves. I vividly remember back when Tyll reviewed this headphone and the way the community suddenly treated him as an old confused man (even when his thoughts perfectly matched his measurements).
Then again...this is a pricey can and when you’ve spent that amount of dough on a headphone it better be the best (AND of course flawless!). The thing is...those criterias tend to shift according to the individual:wink:

May 25, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #4,700 of 9,615
Maybe the player from shop was worn out. It was severely scratched (the Z1). I'll have to check it out more. I sampled the 1Z today for a little over 20 minutes today.

This might explain why the mid-range with the 1A with the MDR-Z1R felt muffled but when listening the the 1Z and MDR-Z1R combo, the mids were more present and the bass was more defined. Lots of learning to do, and I thank you for being a great teacher (so to speak).

That’s actually just the physicality of the 1Z shining through. Remember the output of the 1A and 1Z are going to be close to the same, if not exactly the same. What I’m referring to is major damping factor that comes from a desktop, though maybe some other more powerful DAPs will also show improvement with full-size headphones? That sound your noticing is simply the authority of the 1Z over the 1A. It’s that tiny robustness that the 1Z offers. Stuff is slightly more clear, but sadly nether DAP can truly run the MDR-Z1R correctly. It’s crazy as about maybe half also believe the 1Z or 1A have slight trouble taking the IER-Z1R where it ultimately could go. Also the TA and IER-Z1R seem to rectify the issue.

May 25, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #4,701 of 9,615
A lot of the headphones that I like or love, such as the Z1R, Cascade, Stellia, and Elegia, are all listed in the bottom half of the list. They also have 1 thing in common - they are all closed-back cans, and have a distinctly colored sound (even the Stellia).

Crin has done a lot for this community, but at the end of the day, his lists are purely subjective rankings of groups of IEMs and/or headphones. There's no need to sweat it.

The Klipsch HP3 is semi-open and is one slot below the Z1R...

May 25, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #4,702 of 9,615
^Indeed.
There is on the other hand also a tendency over Head-Fi to attack anything one might perceive as a negative regarding one’s favourite headphone. This exists in every thread on here...which is odd seeing as most of us can agree to this hobby being wholly subjective.
Yet people still chastise others with different tastes than themselves. I vividly remember back when Tyll reviewed this headphone and the way the community suddenly treated him as an old confused man (even when his thoughts perfectly matched his measurements).
Then again...this is a pricey can and when you’ve spent that amount of dough on a headphone it better be the best (AND of course flawless!). The thing is...those criterias tend to shift according to the individual:wink:

That probaly also had something to do with how he worded his opinion, something along the line of “anybody who can like this headphone clearly don’t know how to listen”

May 25, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #4,703 of 9,615
If anything high profile reviews like Tyll Hertson’s negative review are amazing! It just shows how revolutionary the Z1R signature is. The fact that the so-called experts can’t get their head around the response is truly charming. It simply goes to show that Sony wasn’t following any cookie-cutter guideline to start with. Though the first week or week and a half I had my doubts. Then something clicks and after a while even the midrange starts to sound correct. You know your really on-board when you put them on and they sound completely mid-centric.

May 25, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #4,704 of 9,615
I must say Crin's list did one good thing for the Z1R's. It got people talking about this great headphone again :)

May 25, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #4,705 of 9,615
If anything high profile reviews like Tyll Hertson’s negative review are amazing! It just shows how revolutionary the Z1R signature is. The fact that the so-called experts can’t get their head around the response is truly charming. It simply goes to show that Sony wasn’t following any cookie-cutter guideline to start with. Though the first week or week and a half I had my doubts. Then something clicks and after a while even the midrange starts to sound correct. You know your really on-board when you put them on and they sound completely mid-centric.
Good point- also lets not forget other high profile reviewers loved them. However, just want to caution people to thread lightly on this issue since this was what triggered all the bad stuff that happened in the old thread. I guess as long as we keep things civil we will be ok. LOL

May 25, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #4,706 of 9,615

^^^^^

Somehow I like the MDR-Z1R even more now?

May 25, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #4,707 of 9,615
Yep...or anybody else's! :wink:

Impressions/reviews/rankings can help us; especially if we find people with similar listening preferences. But...in the end, they're our ears, musical tastes, etc.
However, consumers who do not have access to high-end gear, who rely mostly on opinions and reviews to formulate a purchase decision, may be swayed by Crin's views, considering his status in the reviewer trade. What may actually be a subjectively great fit might be disregarded entirely, solely on the basis of a low ranking. Moreover, his reviews are extremely "bite-sized", and offer little in the way of a constructive assessment, critical or otherwise.

May 25, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #4,708 of 9,615
I must say Crin's list did one good thing for the Z1R's. It got people talking about this great headphone again :)
Hopefylully in ways that do not end up locking the thread. :)

May 25, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #4,710 of 9,615
Watching the first video, now I see why Bose is a bad company for not publishing their specs. Ouch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back