Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 17, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #1,831 of 8,227
Yes, there is

Check the main post of this thread.

The A50 mods will receive an update today.

the-hills-excited.gif

Nov 17, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #1,832 of 8,227
Here's more extra tuning for the DMP-A50 if anyone is interested in trying it.

31: -10.0

62: -7.0

125: -6.0

250: -6.0

500: -4.0

1K: -5.5

2K: -3.0

4K: -6.0

8K: -10.0

16: -1.5 to 0.0 (depending on personal preference & what the track needs)

With DC Phase Linearizer ”On” and Dynamic Normalizer ”On”

What headphone/IEM is this tuned for? Or is this a personal taste discovery to try?
EDIT** nevermind I read further it something your tryimg out.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #1,833 of 8,227
If anyone in the market here for an Oriolus BA300s portable tube amp ( that pairs well with the 1A/Z) check out my advo in the amp trade section. Upgraditis has struck, and I want to try some different amp combos with my 1A.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #1,834 of 8,227
14/16 Regions in total been through them all at one time or another, your right regarding the timbre. As ever things are not always as you think with Sony always applying a level of DSP to the tuning.

!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would love if us users could blend them with the tunes baked in the firmware as well but the dsps on the Walkmans are very nice 👌🏻

Nov 17, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #1,835 of 8,227
What headphone/IEM is this tuned for? Or is this a personal taste discovery to try?
EDIT** nevermind I read further it something your tryimg out.

I’d say it’s a mixture theres some of it to do with personal taste discovery and your iems which is a nice informal definition of tuning. Haha

Currently using this one with Dynamic Normalization, DC Phase Linearizer BOTH on! If you need more bass I adjust the DC P L to “high” less bass “low” and “standard” as the default.

Full Disclosure: I’m a DSD exclusive listener but on both A40,A50 DSD is DoP which means it’s playback is on a PCM packaging to “trick” the dac but it’s always DSD so you get the best of both worlds with a lot more noise shaping filters. IHMO

A40 tuning

31: -9.0

62: -6.0

125: -5.0

250: -5.0

500: -3.0

1K: -4.5

2K: -2.0

4K: -5.0

8K: -9.0

16K: -0.5

A55 tuning

31: -10

62: -7

125: -6

250: -6

500: -4

1K: -5.5

2K: -3.5

4K: -6.0

8K: -10.0

16K: -1.5

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #1,836 of 8,227
DMP-A50 FE

Update:

- improved sound signature - fuller, deeper, and more impactful bass, natural and lifelike vocals, and non-fatiguing and smooth highs, with impeccable details
- more stable installation process

Features:
- sound signature resembling the one of the DMP-Z1, with awesome bass response and amazing soundstage holography and extension
- progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers are supported

• From experience, the best sound is achieved with the region J. However, feel free to experiment
with other regions as well. You can change the region using the destination tool.

Installation:
1. Install DMP-A50_FE
2. Install DMP-A50R_FE-A50_FE_Ext_Tuning

To revert to the stock firmware:
1. Install StockRevert_(DMP-A50_FE-A50R_FE)
2. Install StockRevert_Ext_Tuning

With both the firmware and the Ext. Tuning, the player should restart, so there
should be two restarts of the player. Same goes for the reverting process.

What should I do if I'm currently using the previous DMP-A50 or DMP-A50R mods?
1. Revert to stock using the StockRevert of the respective firmware (for example, use StockRevert of DMP-A50 if you have DMP-A50 installed)
2. Install DMP-A50_FE
3. Install DMP-A50R_FE-A50_FE_Ext_Tuning

For a more stable reverting to stock process, please download the StockRevert packages that you can find on the link below!

The firmware is available for downloading, here.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #1,837 of 8,227
DMP-A50R FE

Update:

- improved sound signature - fuller, deeper, and more impactful bass, natural and lifelike vocals, and non-fatiguing and smooth highs, with impeccable details
- more stable installation process

Features:
- 10 band equalizer
- Tone Control (while in the EQ display, tap the bottom right button to switch to Tone Control)
- DC Phase Linearizer with 6 selectable modes
- Vinyl Processor with 4 selectable modes
- Visualizers: Spectrum Analyzer/Analog VU Meter/Digital Peak Meter (while in the playback screen, tap the bottom right button, and then tap "Change playback screen")
- Direct Source replacing ClearAudio+ (cannot play DSD and MQA files while this is enabled)
- DSEE AI (present on DMP-Z1 and on the A50 stock firmware)
- progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers are supported

Missing features in comparison with stock A50:
- FM Radio
- VPT Surround
- Language Study
- Noise cancelling
- NFC (not working)

• If the region of the player is J, it will be changed to U, in order to avoid the "Japanese"
language that cannot be changed. You can change it to any other region, using the destination tool.

• From experience, the best sound is achieved with the region J. However, feel free to experiment
with other regions as well.

Installation:
1. Install DMP-A50R_FE
2. Install DMP-A50R_FE-A50_FE_Ext_Tuning

To revert to the stock firmware:
1. Install StockRevert_(DMP-A50_FE-A50R_FE)
2. Install StockRevert_Ext_Tuning

With both the firmware and the Ext. Tuning, the player should restart, so there
should be two restarts of the player. Same goes for the reverting process.

Note: Upon installing this firmware, all settings will be reset
and everything in the internal storage will be deleted!

What should I do if I'm currently using the previous DMP-A50 or DMP-A50R mods?

1. Revert to stock using the StockRevert of the respective firmware (for example, use StockRevert of DMP-A50 if you have DMP-A50 installed)
2. Install DMP-A50R_FE
3. Install DMP-A50R_FE-A50_FE_Ext_Tuning

For a more stable reverting to stock process, please download the StockRevert packages that you
can find on the link below. Reverting from the old DMP-A50R to stock will reset the settings and
will delete everything in the internal storage!

The firmware is available for downloading, here.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #1,839 of 8,227
So this DMP firmware for my NW-WM1a is it better than any others that have been out like Cameleon, NW-WM1a + or ++ ,...
Is it a replacement for all the previous ones (that by the way are not possible to find anymore...)

Nov 17, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #1,840 of 8,227
So this DMP firmware for my NW-WM1a is it better than any others that have been out like Cameleon, NW-WM1a + or ++ ,...
Is it a replacement for all the previous ones (that by the way are not possible to find anymore...)

Feel free to try it yourself and find out.

Regarding previous versions, I may release them again, but I need to rework them first. For now, there is DMP-WM1 FE, and DMP-WM1 MK2 (the link is on the FE's page on the website).

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #1,841 of 8,227
Feel free to try it yourself and find out.

Regarding previous version, I may release them again, but I need to rework them first. For now, there is DMP-WM1 FE, and DMP-WM1 MK2 (the link is on the FE's page on the website).

Thanks ! I 'll give a try to the DMP first and wait the re-release of the other later on then
And by the way, seeing the previous comments, you are a god, thanks for doing what you do for the community !

Nov 17, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #1,842 of 8,227
Thanks ! I 'll give a try to the DMP first and wait the re-release of the other later on then
And by the way, seeing the previous comments, you are a god, thanks for doing what you do for the community !

Thanks!

From my experience, and the experience of others, the previous versions are not better anyway.

Nov 17, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #1,843 of 8,227
Is there supposed to be any sound differences between the 2 new A50 fw, or are the differences purely in features ?

Nov 17, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #1,844 of 8,227
Is there supposed to be any sound differences between the 2 new A50 fw, or are the differences purely in features ?

Yes, there is a sound difference. I recommend region J with this firmware.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back