Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 17, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #1,861 of 8,232
Nov 17, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #1,862 of 8,232
Is it OK to change the region after installing WM FE?
Can I use English language on the player with J region?

Nov 17, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #1,863 of 8,232
Is it OK to change the region after installing WM FE?
Can I use English language on the player with J region?

The firmware has nothing to do with the regions, so you can change the region at any time.

Yes, the English language will remain with the J region. It's just that if you do a factory reset while the region is J, then the language will be Japanese and you won't be able to change it unless you change the region to another one first.

Nov 17, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #1,864 of 8,232
SQ is a vey personal matter, J region just tends to be the more balanced. High Gain and related features remain.
  • J Most balanced of all the regions, little warm, well suited for those who listen to multiple genres, BT remote capable.
  • CA sounds big and bouncy a little bloated in the mid bass, tends to spill over, BT remote capable.
  • CN is all about resolution with a bump in the sub bass, BT remote capable.
  • E is rather V shaped, can be piercing on the 1A, BT remote capable.
  • U is more U shaped than E
  • MX3 again V shaped with more presence in the bass than E
  • TW All about the bass, with average resolution, BT remote capable.
Best thing is to experiment as there's no negative consequence. If I had to make a call it would be J or MX3 . Personally I opt for J and keep returning as have multiple headgear and listen to multiple genres so the more balanced EQ makes sense. Is also worth noting that the vast majority tuning mods & emulations are generally based on J for the balance and the timbre.

Q-6
Thanks for this. I love tinkering :)

What region is MX3 btw?

Nov 17, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #1,865 of 8,232
Nov 17, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #1,866 of 8,232
Stupid question maybe. I have the WM1a and just installed the Dmp firmware. How do I change the region to J?

Nov 17, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #1,867 of 8,232
Nov 17, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #1,869 of 8,232
Thanks !
I think I just did it. Is there a way to see if the change was successful other than the result from the execution of tool?
Like a settings on the DAP itself?

Nov 17, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #1,870 of 8,232
Thanks !
I think I just did it. Is there a way to see if the change was successful other than the result from the execution of tool?
Like a settings on the DAP itself?

For the J region, you can notice a new item in the Settings menu, "Certificates".

Otherwise, you can only see the current region via the tool.

Remember to restart the player after changing the region.

Nov 17, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #1,872 of 8,232
@MrWalkman Bro, you out did yourself. This FE is a swan song 🎤 drop endgame firmware mod. OMG
4AE25E48-EF20-423E-BEB3-21BB4C5E12DF.jpeg

The bass thumps is felt and not heard! The DC Phase Linearizer is at it apex on it! I wanted to test it on a Pop drumish track and it just sounds sublime. The detail is really sweet. It’s not comparable to WM1A mod b/c it’s a different flavor all together! IMHO.

Here’s my download tip for the R Fe first change the region to J and do an ALL reset then upload R FE firmware mod to your player then change the region to J again and then All Reset. Voila, Sublime listening experience!

Nov 17, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #1,873 of 8,232
Thanks!

Yes, the capability of these players is amazing!

Nov 17, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #1,874 of 8,232
- improved sound signature - fuller, deeper, and more impactful bass, natural and lifelike vocals, and non-fatiguing and smooth highs, with impeccable details
Thank you @MrWalkman for this amazing FE mod, worth money to spend for A55. This mini DAP got full potential with your cold hand! Will not tell about the sound, the description will tell you everything that fanstastic about it

I've been enjoying 2 hours listening and keep going, but I didn't realize that I'm using U region. Now I'm on J region again, I remember that I did change to J region even before using A50R mod. Maybe because factory reset the device will back to original region? And the weird thing is after fresh install R FE with U region I found Certificate menu that doesn't appear before change to J region.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #1,875 of 8,232
I've been enjoying 2 hours listening and keep going, but I didn't realize that I'm using U region. Now I'm on J region again, I remember that I did change to J region even before using A50R mod. Maybe because factory reset the device will back to original region?

I mentioned about this in the post:

"If the region of the player is J, it will be changed to U, in order to avoid the "Japanese" language that cannot be changed."

When installing DMP-A50R, a factory reset is being done automatically, so the region is changed to U instead of J, in order to avoid the unchangeable Japanese language.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back