Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Aug 25, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #5,326 of 8,223
Hey there MrWalkman! Long time reader, first time reply-er(?). Thanks for doing all of this, I've recently acquired the WM1A and have been enjoying, but it was so much more enjoyable when I got my hands on the Dawn firmware! Thanks a lot really.

I just upgraded from the v1, and the subbass/bass(?) is absolutely sublime, I chuckled out loud when I heard it!

I'm using the Plus v1 and DIM 0, v1 over the v2 as the v2 made the soundstage more focused, I prefer a wider ss.

A similar reason can be said for the DIM, but that was much more interesting as the two modes offered more differences than I thought it would. In comparison to the DIM 0, DIM 1 offers a more focused, narrow soundstage, however, it was able to pronounce every detail and take it to the front if you will, drums, kicks all sounded very prominent in DIM 1. However, for myself, I find that the tradeoff for the pronounced details is a reduction in depth of the soundstage, like a squished sandwich if you will. Yes, both DIM modes present a holographic imaging, DIM 1 sounds like you have a large computer with holographic monitors in front of you presenting everything (like Batman's computer in the Batcave), while DIM 0 sounds more like you're standing in the conductor's position in front of the orchestra.

Gotta sleep soon so I haven't had the time to really listen to v1/v2 in depth. May I also ask, what're the (main) differences between the Dawn v2 and FEv2?

Thanks again! :)

Aug 25, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #5,327 of 8,223
I would surmise that the greater proportion of people in the States do not know about changing the region of this player, let alone modded FW. So why are there two choices for the US Region? Do they split the US down the middle and U's go to one half and U2's go to the other?

Aug 25, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #5,328 of 8,223
Actually there is also a U3, but Region U is the default for US players from the factory. Not sure why there are multiple region codes for some areas like U, U2 and U3 for USA. On the SonyNWDestTool wiki page (https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool) there is no documented differences.

Maybe MrWalkman can enlighten us.

Aug 25, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #5,329 of 8,223
So why are there two choices for the US Region? Do they split the US down the middle and U's go to one half and U2's go to the other?

Officially, the firmware knows of the U region as UC, and it doesn't know about U2 or some other regions. Some of these regions, like U2, were available in older players, when the destination tool was created, before 2016 when these newer ones were released.

Nonetheless, each one of the regions from the destination tool (now available through the settings file) will bring a change to the sound.

I would surmise that the greater proportion of people in the States do not know about changing the region of this player, let alone modded FW.

I guess we are not supposed to know that different regions sound different, nor should we be able to change them.

Hey there MrWalkman! Long time reader, first time reply-er(?). Thanks for doing all of this, I've recently acquired the WM1A and have been enjoying, but it was so much more enjoyable when I got my hands on the Dawn firmware! Thanks a lot really.

I just upgraded from the v1, and the subbass/bass(?) is absolutely sublime, I chuckled out loud when I heard it!

I'm using the Plus v1 and DIM 0, v1 over the v2 as the v2 made the soundstage more focused, I prefer a wider ss.

A similar reason can be said for the DIM, but that was much more interesting as the two modes offered more differences than I thought it would. In comparison to the DIM 0, DIM 1 offers a more focused, narrow soundstage, however, it was able to pronounce every detail and take it to the front if you will, drums, kicks all sounded very prominent in DIM 1. However, for myself, I find that the tradeoff for the pronounced details is a reduction in depth of the soundstage, like a squished sandwich if you will. Yes, both DIM modes present a holographic imaging, DIM 1 sounds like you have a large computer with holographic monitors in front of you presenting everything (like Batman's computer in the Batcave), while DIM 0 sounds more like you're standing in the conductor's position in front of the orchestra.

Gotta sleep soon so I haven't had the time to really listen to v1/v2 in depth. May I also ask, what're the (main) differences between the Dawn v2 and FEv2?

Thanks again! :)

I'm glad you like it!

As for differences between the two tunings, they're not so straightforward, and I'd feel more comfortable letting you give them a try.

Aug 26, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #5,330 of 8,223
I would surmise that the greater proportion of people in the States do not know about changing the region of this player, let alone modded FW. So why are there two choices for the US Region? Do they split the US down the middle and U's go to one half and U2's go to the other?

U2 is for Ireland, very obviously :D

Aug 26, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #5,332 of 8,223
I chose to not implement the model changing option for Midnight from WM1Z to WM1A in the end.

The lower gain option was added. The update is being tested a bit, and it should be released later today or tomorrow.

There is also a potential new option to improve the 1A sound quality, mainly with Midnight, but probably also with Dawn. I still need some time to "translate" the change into (a) separate installer(s). If all goes well, it should be available soon.

With this new change the BT Receiver mode doesn't glitch the audio anymore if the screen is turned off (for those who have this issue, not everyone have it). The downside is that settings are gonna be reset to factory defaults (including the hours played counter). Of course, you can choose not to install this.

But first, let's hope all goes well as I mentioned above.

In any case, especially with the last v2 update (that is currently released) I experience amazing moments with the 1A and Z7M2 via the balanced port. Awesome times!

Thanks @aceedburn i am now re-roxking chameleon 2.0

You should really give a try especially to Midnight with the v2 Plus mode :)

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #5,333 of 8,223
Just testing my Shure SE846 off the single-ended port - awesome! Everything is really clear and audible, without being harsh at all. Also, I like how precise, deep, and present the bass is, without bleeding into the mids - a similar experience as with the Sony Z7M2. Overall it's a smooth and warm but detailed sound signature which I very much enjoy.

I was testing the WM1A/Z firmware (specifically Midnight) on the A40. It doesn't sound as wide, and maybe not as open, but it's definitely amazing for this little player. Unfortunately I didn't have time to spend more in the efforts of getting the interface to fit correctly on the smaller screens. However, I personally don't think it's a pretty big inconvenience especially if you're all about the sound.

So I was thinking:
- for the ZX300 we'll probably have mods based on both ZX300 and the WM1A/Z firmware (with the "not fitting correctly" UI)
- for the A30/A40/A50 we'll most probably have only mods based on the WM1A/Z firmware, as the ones based on their stock (or the stock A50) firmware doesn't sound really amazing in my opinion

In these players the player app itself is also a deciding factor on the sound signature.

Examples of the interface not fitting correctly, applicable for A30/A40/A50/ZX300:

1630000125370.png

The player/wireless/LDAC/Galaxy S10e elements should be more in the center of the screen - this one is really ok.

1630000345065.png

In the red box area you can find the Unit Information menu. While the text is not visible, you can tap in that small area to access it.

1630000412744.png

This is how the playing screen looks like. The only thing is the album text going a bit under the play buttons. I don't feel like it's that big of a deal honestly.

1630000499189.png

In the red box there should be the "Reset/Format" menu. Same as with the "Unit Information", you can tap in the small area there to access that menu.

There is a chance that I could be able to make the FM radio icon be visible in the WM1A/Z firmware. That would be awesome.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #5,334 of 8,223
Just testing my Shure SE846 off the single-ended port - awesome! Everything is really clear and audible, without being harsh at all. Also, I like how precise, deep, and present the bass is, without bleeding into the mids - a similar experience as with the Sony Z7M2. Overall it's a smooth and warm but detailed sound signature which I very much enjoy.

I was testing the WM1A/Z firmware (specifically Midnight) on the A40. It doesn't sound as wide, and maybe not as open, but it's definitely amazing for this little player. Unfortunately I didn't have time to spend more in the efforts of getting the interface to fit correctly on the smaller screens. However, I personally don't think it's a pretty big inconvenience especially if you're all about the sound.

So I was thinking:
- for the ZX300 we'll probably have mods based on both ZX300 and the WM1A/Z firmware (with the "not fitting correctly" UI)
- for the A30/A40/A50 we'll most probably have only mods based on the WM1A/Z firmware, as the ones based on their stock (or the stock A50) firmware doesn't sound really amazing in my opinion

In these players the player app itself is also a deciding factor on the sound signature.

Examples of the interface not fitting correctly, applicable for A30/A40/A50/ZX300:

1630000125370.png

The player/wireless/LDAC/Galaxy S10e elements should be more in the center of the screen - this one is really ok.

1630000345065.png

In the red box area you can find the Unit Information menu. While the text is not visible, you can tap in that small area to access it.

1630000412744.png

This is how the playing screen looks like. The only thing is the album text going a bit under the play buttons. I don't feel like it's that big of a deal honestly.

1630000499189.png

In the red box there should be the "Reset/Format" menu. Same as with the "Unit Information", you can tap in the small area there to access that menu.

There is a chance that I could be able to make the FM radio icon be visible in the WM1A/Z firmware. That would be awesome.
Looking great. I can definately live with that on my A55

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #5,336 of 8,223
I chose to not implement the model changing option for Midnight from WM1Z to WM1A in the end.

The lower gain option was added. The update is being tested a bit, and it should be released later today or tomorrow.

There is also a potential new option to improve the 1A sound quality, mainly with Midnight, but probably also with Dawn. I still need some time to "translate" the change into (a) separate installer(s). If all goes well, it should be available soon.

With this new change the BT Receiver mode doesn't glitch the audio anymore if the screen is turned off (for those who have this issue, not everyone have it). The downside is that settings are gonna be reset to factory defaults (including the hours played counter). Of course, you can choose not to install this.

But first, let's hope all goes well as I mentioned above.

In any case, especially with the last v2 update (that is currently released) I experience amazing moments with the 1A and Z7M2 via the balanced port. Awesome times!

so is there a new version coming ? those of us who did not get it yet, should we wait for the bug-free version or should we keep both ?

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #5,337 of 8,223
To legend x users what combo are you sporting on wm1a/z?

Aug 27, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #5,338 of 8,223
so is there a new version coming ? those of us who did not get it yet, should we wait for the bug-free version or should we keep both ?
I'd hold off for the next version.

Q-6

Aug 27, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #5,339 of 8,223
Wait for the new version. It has some bug fixes and also some new additions for the gain mode settings.

Aug 27, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #5,340 of 8,223
The update for Dawn/Midnight v2 for WM1A/Z is now available.

To install this new update you'll have to use StockRevert again (sorry, I know it's annoying).

The StockRevert package will now look for the Dawn settings file, and it will make sure that
the player's region is the one set in the file. If a Dawn settings file doesn't exist, it will check
for a Midnight settings file, and if this one also doesn't exist, there will be no changes to the
region. You will also see some entries in the boot_log.txt file after the StockRevert package
was used.

The Home page icons color will now be the default one after using the StockRevert package.

As I was saying before, there is now a "Lower" gain option available, besides the "Higher" and
"Normal" ones.
Also, in order for the Gain setting to work, you'll have to delete any existing
settings file, so new ones can be generated. This option might help with the (normal, not related
to these mods) background hiss on sensitive IEMs, for example.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back