Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Aug 23, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #5,296 of 8,232
Thank you Mr Walkman for your latest firmaware.

I thought I had encountered a problem when activating the Bluetooth Receiver mode (WM1A coupled in LDAC with my Android 10 phone) because as soon as I used the Remote, I got a choppy sound. After changing several settings in the dawn_settings.txt file without getting any improvement, I finally went back to Firmware Stock and found ... that I had the same problem in LDAC (no problem with the SBC CODEC).

I had never paid attention to this problem as I rarely use the Remote, and never with the Bluetooth Receiver mode enabled. Finally, I reinstalled dawn V2. As some have already reported here, I have no problem with v2 Plus mode activated, neither with BT Receiver mode, nor with USB DAC mode, even with the screen off. And so I leave the Remote in a drawer when I use BT Receiver mode.
Thanks again.
Strange, I am also using a WM1A with Midnight Classic as a BT receiver from my Samsung Z Fold 2 5G (Android 10) in LDAC mode and the Sony's remote RMT-NWS20 without any issues like I never had with any versions of M Walkman till now. I tried to connect the remote with the smartphone or the WM1A, in both case it's working fine with UAPP or Neutron, though with Bubleupnp it's more tricky as neutron comes first to answer the remote.
At least, it makes the WM1A with a remote control a nice DAP with complete streaming services when connected to an android 10 smartphone.
It's just pity Sony has limited the use of the WM1A as a BT receiver and without being able to use at the same time a an external AMP/DAC like ifi Diablo/Centrance M8V2.

Aug 23, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #5,297 of 8,232
Strange, I am also using a WM1A with Midnight Classic as a BT receiver from my Samsung Z Fold 2 5G (Android 10) in LDAC mode and the Sony's remote RMT-NWS20 without any issues like I never had with any versions of M Walkman till now. I tried to connect the remote with the smartphone or the WM1A, in both case it's working fine with UAPP or Neutron, though with Bubleupnp it's more tricky as neutron comes first to answer the remote.
At least, it makes the WM1A with a remote control a nice DAP with complete streaming services when connected to an android 10 smartphone.
It's just pity Sony has limited the use of the WM1A as a BT receiver and without being able to use at the same time a an external AMP/DAC like ifi Diablo/Centrance M8V2.
In truth, I cannot totally exclude that the problem comes directly from my phone, a sony XZ2 which is a little out of breath and which I intend to replace soon. For example, UAPP has unstable behavior in BT (with the LDAC codec).

Aug 23, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #5,298 of 8,232
Hi,

Just dropping to say thanks to Mr. Walkman. Currently using Midnight Plus V2 on my WM1A. (just purchased this second hand and Midnight version v1 come preinstalled). Bit of context, left the audiophile world since I left USA in 2012, Lockdown brings me back here. Never bought anything about $500 before (I was a Uni student lol), since I have a bit of money now, I bought IER-Z1R and WM1A. Z1R is only 3 days old and I read in the impression before it needs more burning time to get it smoothen out. Out of the box, noticed Z1R has more detail, awesome bass, but bit cramped to my ears. Just saw about V2 today and immediately. Instant improvement. Enjoying the music now instead of being too critical about the earphone.Thanks again!

TLDR;
Awesome, the music doesnt feel cramped anymore. Maybe thats the very definition of bigger soundstage. :)

BTW, I saw some signature of head-fier mentioned something like this ".MX3/Dawn(v2) FEv2 tuning (Plus v2)"
I understand the MX3/Dawn(v2) but what does FEv2 (Plus v2) means?

Again, thank you!

Aug 23, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #5,300 of 8,232
Plus V2 means plus mode 2. FEv2 is external tuning for the Dawn firmware I believe.
Ahhh thank you, checked the Dawn folder and saw that.

Midnight - Project Z
Dawn - FEv2

Got it!

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #5,301 of 8,232
Thank you! Downloaded the archive and tried again. The same issue occurred when running the StockRevert for DMP-WM1 FE and then the StockRevert EXT Tuning, so I decided to run the StockRevert for DMP-WM1 FEv2 just to see if it would work (followed by the StockRevert EXT Tuning) and it now appears as if my unit is back to stock based on the Unit Info screen. Thank you again. Excited to try the new versions now! And cheers to some beers for you (just donated)!

Thanks, I really appreciate the support, and I hope you like the v2s :)

Thank you Mr Walkman for your latest firmaware.

I thought I had encountered a problem when activating the Bluetooth Receiver mode (WM1A coupled in LDAC with my Android 10 phone) because as soon as I used the Remote, I got a choppy sound. After changing several settings in the dawn_settings.txt file without getting any improvement, I finally went back to Firmware Stock and found ... that I had the same problem in LDAC (no problem with the SBC CODEC).

I had never paid attention to this problem as I rarely use the Remote, and never with the Bluetooth Receiver mode enabled. Finally, I reinstalled dawn V2. As some have already reported here, I have no problem with v2 Plus mode activated, neither with BT Receiver mode, nor with USB DAC mode, even with the screen off. And so I leave the Remote in a drawer when I use BT Receiver mode.
Thanks again.

This started to happen only after installing Dawn v2?
Hi,

Just dropping to say thanks to Mr. Walkman. Currently using Midnight Plus V2 on my WM1A. (just purchased this second hand and Midnight version v1 come preinstalled). Bit of context, left the audiophile world since I left USA in 2012, Lockdown brings me back here. Never bought anything about $500 before (I was a Uni student lol), since I have a bit of money now, I bought IER-Z1R and WM1A. Z1R is only 3 days old and I read in the impression before it needs more burning time to get it smoothen out. Out of the box, noticed Z1R has more detail, awesome bass, but bit cramped to my ears. Just saw about V2 today and immediately. Instant improvement. Enjoying the music now instead of being too critical about the earphone.Thanks again!

TLDR;
Awesome, the music doesnt feel cramped anymore. Maybe thats the very definition of bigger soundstage. :)

BTW, I saw some signature of head-fier mentioned something like this ".MX3/Dawn(v2) FEv2 tuning (Plus v2)"
I understand the MX3/Dawn(v2) but what does FEv2 (Plus v2) means?

Again, thank you!

Amazing!

I think it's ok to spend once on some equipment and then enjoy it. Enjoy listening! :)

Aug 23, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #5,302 of 8,232
This started to happen only after installing Dawn v2?
I could not say exactly because I never used the remote in BT Receiver mode, but only with the files stored on the DAP. As I indicated, the reinstallation of the stock firmware did not bring any improvement for this problem of interference between the Remote and the BT reception in LDAC codec. So I reinstalled Dawn V2 because I am very satisfied with your latest version. And as I was writing to newword666, I also cannot rule out that my Sony XZ2 phone is causing this problem. No difficulty using the Remote with Dawn V2 while listening to music stored locally.

Aug 23, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #5,303 of 8,232
My personal best takeaway from the new iteration is the DAC initialisation mode 1 function - it reduces the hiss dramatically, the icing on the very big cake offered by @MrWalkman :)

Aug 23, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #5,306 of 8,232
Aug 23, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #5,308 of 8,232
I have a really dumb question… the installation instructions said:
2. Run "Dawn_v2_installer.exe" on your computer to install the firmware;
3. Install "Dawn_external_tuning" or "FEv2_external_tuning" (run FirmwareUpdateTool.exe from inside the corresponding folder).

#3 said from “inside the corresponding folder”, which folder does it refers to?
Is it the root folder on the wm1a?

Aug 23, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #5,309 of 8,232
I have a really dumb question… the installation instructions said:
2. Run "Dawn_v2_installer.exe" on your computer to install the firmware;
3. Install "Dawn_external_tuning" or "FEv2_external_tuning" (run FirmwareUpdateTool.exe from inside the corresponding folder).

#3 said from “inside the corresponding folder”, which folder does it refers to?
Is it the root folder on the wm1a?
In the Dawn v2 folder there is the firmware installation exe file and two separate tuning folders.

2a. Dawn_external_tuning
2b. FEv2_external_tuning

Once you have successfully installed the Dawn firmware you can install either of the external tuning configurations.

Aug 23, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #5,310 of 8,232
In the Dawn v2 folder there is the firmware installation exe file and two separate tuning folders.

2a. Dawn_external_tuning
2b. FEv2_external_tuning

Once you have successfully installed the Dawn firmware you can install either of the external tuning configurations.
Thank you. This is really helpful.
I will give it a try tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back