Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Aug 27, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #5,341 of 8,232
The update for Dawn/Midnight v2 for WM1A/Z is now available.

To install this new update you'll have to use StockRevert again (sorry, I know it's annoying).

The StockRevert package will now look for the Dawn settings file, and it will make sure that
the player's region is the one set in the file. If a Dawn settings file doesn't exist, it will check
for a Midnight settings file, and if this one also doesn't exist, there will be no changes to the
region. You will also see some entries in the boot_log.txt file after the StockRevert package
was used.

The Home page icons color will now be the default one after using the StockRevert package.

As I was saying before, there is now a "Lower" gain option available, besides the "Higher" and
"Normal" ones.
Also, in order for the Gain setting to work, you'll have to delete any existing
settings file, so new ones can be generated.

Enjoy!
Legend!

Aug 27, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #5,342 of 8,232
Next plans are:
- working on the WM1A-only Midnight version (hopefully all goes well)
- based on the mention above, have a mod solely for having the WM1Z sound signature on a WM1A

Basically, this would be a new approach to getting the WM1A even closer to the WM1Z sound signature.
Theoretically, the WM1A-only Midnight version should sound more alike to how Midnight sounds on a WM1Z.

In any case, I think Midnight sounds wonderful on the WM1A as it is!

- ZX300-based and WM1A/Z-based mods for ZX300
- WM1A/Z-based mods for A30/A40/A50
- maybe spend some more time trying to make the interface fit better on the smaller screens

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #5,343 of 8,232
With this new change the BT Receiver mode doesn't glitch the audio anymore if the screen is turned off (for those who have this issue, not everyone have it). The downside is that settings are gonna be reset to factory defaults (including the hours played counter). Of course, you can choose not to install this.
Thanks for the update! Does the new updates address the issues u mentioned here and does it reset the settings? (I assume no since you didnt mention anything about this in the release notes, just wanna confirm though :ksc75smile: )

Aug 27, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #5,344 of 8,232
Thanks for the update! Does the new updates address the issues u mentioned here and does it reset the settings? (I assume no since you didnt mention anything about this in the release notes, just wanna confirm though :ksc75smile: )

Hey, what is mentioned in the quote was not yet made.

Aug 28, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #5,345 of 8,232
Still going strong w your firmware on my ZX300, Mr. Walkman. It’s been so great for so long, I haven’t felt like upgrading to a different DAP. Hard to believe you can top what you did w DMP300, but I won’t doubt you for a sec.

Aug 28, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #5,346 of 8,232
Reverted to stock and then installed the new Dawn + FEv2 tuning earlier tonight. I thought the hours played counter was supposed to be re-set? Mine didn't. I did delete the entire "CFW" folder before I did the revert to stock, if that matters.

In any event, I used my WM1A for a couple hours (and checked the boot_log). As expected, zero issues and all my preferred settings were loaded. ***Since initial release of the new Midnight/Dawn, I have been super impressed with battery life*** (using Plus v2 mode with "different" DAC initialization) in comparison to the Plus mode in the older FEv2.

Aug 28, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #5,347 of 8,232
Reverted to stock and then installed the new Dawn + FEv2 tuning earlier tonight. I thought the hours played counter was supposed to be re-set? Mine didn't. I did delete the entire "CFW" folder before I did the revert to stock, if that matters.

In any event, I used my WM1A for a couple hours (and checked the boot_log). As expected, zero issues and all my preferred settings were loaded. ***Since initial release of the new Midnight/Dawn, I have been super impressed with battery life*** (using Plus v2 mode with "different" DAC initialization) in comparison to the Plus mode in the older FEv2.
The updated firmware does not reset your counter or anything. That tool to make Bluetooth receiver work without glitching in plus 2 mode is still under testing still and may or may not be implemented in the near future.

Aug 28, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #5,348 of 8,232

The updated firmware does not reset your counter or anything. That tool to make Bluetooth receiver work without glitching in plus 2 mode is still under testing still and may or may not be implemented in the near future.

Indeed, the settings reset thing will be something for WM1A only, and it's not ready yet.

Still going strong w your firmware on my ZX300, Mr. Walkman. It’s been so great for so long, I haven’t felt like upgrading to a different DAP. Hard to believe you can top what you did w DMP300, but I won’t doubt you for a sec.

It's definitely toppable :)

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #5,349 of 8,232
As I was saying before, there is now a "Lower" gain option available, besides the "Higher" and
"Normal" ones.
With the latest version of Dawn V2, I chose the Lower Gain setting (GMD = 2), which actually significantly reduces the hissing sound from very sensitive in-ear headphones.

As an indication, on the balanced output, with the Earsoncics Purple (very sensitive), I used to listen with a volume of 35 and now with a volume of 50.
With the Sony-IER M7, IEM requiring more power, I used to listen with the volume set to 56 and now to 70.

This comparison is necessarily very subjective and perfectible because once the parameter has been modified, you have to test using your memory only.

This new setting therefore seems very interesting to me for in-ear headphones because even if you have to push the volume higher, you still remain far from the maximum (and I have not yet checked the high gain).

I renew to you, Mr Walkman, my thanks for your very enthusiastic and ingenious work.

Aug 28, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #5,350 of 8,232
With the latest version of Dawn V2, I chose the Lower Gain setting (GMD = 2), which actually significantly reduces the hissing sound from very sensitive in-ear headphones.

As an indication, on the balanced output, with the Earsoncics Purple (very sensitive), I used to listen with a volume of 35 and now with a volume of 50.
With the Sony-IER M7, IEM requiring more power, I used to listen with the volume set to 56 and now to 70.

This comparison is necessarily very subjective and perfectible because once the parameter has been modified, you have to test using your memory only.

This new setting therefore seems very interesting to me for in-ear headphones because even if you have to push the volume higher, you still remain far from the maximum (and I have not yet checked the high gain).

I renew to you, Mr Walkman, my thanks for your very enthusiastic and ingenious work.

I just thought it might be useful, but I'm certainly glad that someone actually uses this and it helps :)

Aug 28, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #5,351 of 8,232
Now the crowning glory to this new ini file would be if it could be edited from the player GUI without having to connect it to a computer but I don't see how that could be made possible

Aug 28, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #5,352 of 8,232
Now the crowning glory to this new ini file would be if it could be edited from the player GUI without having to connect it to a computer but I don't see how that could be made possible

Yeah, not really possible.

Aug 28, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #5,354 of 8,232
@aceedburn have you tried the chameleon 2.0 woth DMP1FEv2 tuning?

You can't install the FEv2 tuning onto Chameleon.

Chameleon uses WM1A/WM1Z for the model, while FEv2 uses the DMP-Z1.

Also, I'm pretty sure that there is no comparison between Chameleon and something like Midnight v2 with the Plus v2 mode, and DAC mode set to 1. :)

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #5,355 of 8,232
@aceedburn have you tried the chameleon 2.0 woth DMP1FEv2 tuning?
Chameleon 2.0 doesn’t have the option of using any external tuning like the newer firmwares. I was using it for some time and liked it very much. But I now prefer the latest midnight v2. It’s more customisable in terms of sound and functionality.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back