Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 1, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #7,981 of 8,223
MrWalkman software is already installed.
Sound Signature WM1Z (SIG3), Region MX3, PMV2.
I play music in Direct at volume 62, when I turn off DS I have to raise the volume to 72 to equalize the volume.
However, I have the impression that with DS the sound is more dynamic (all correction options are turned off).
Maybe my brain is playing tricks on me... I'm just checking different signatures.
Think it belongs to the device
I have the same experience on my A45 walkman, volume changes when switching between the modes.
It's different on my WM1A, there is no volume change from direct sound to EQ settings.

Nov 1, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #7,982 of 8,223
Hello everyone. I'm checking the Mr.Walkmann NW1Z software in A50 and I would like to ask if the Direct Sound option activates this software? I have the impression that after turning off DS, the sound is much worse.
Hi and welcome to the world of custom firmwares. Direct sound does not activate the firmware. The firmware is installed once you load it. Bear in mind that all the sound tunings for the firmware were done with direct sound on and without any other eq or sound processing. That’s the benchmark when I was doing the beta testing and fine tuning the sound signatures for all the different iterations. However you can enable whichever sound processor that you feel sounds best to you. But with direct sound on, the player is optimised for the best battery consumption.

Nov 1, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #7,984 of 8,223
How to set the J3 region? When I change it to this in the config file, I get a message in the log file that the changes were failed. Changes to other regions are possible. I have wm1a.
Have you installed the last fw version that was released via the direct link that was provided in this thread (not the one on his home page) as that is the only one that supports J3 and only on 1A and 1Z ?

Nov 1, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #7,986 of 8,223
Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #7,987 of 8,223
Yes that is normal behaviour that volume gets lowered when enabling the possibillity for eq and other features to allow for distortion free headroom, this happens on many devices from many suppliers.

I prefer the sound of Direct Sound.

Think it belongs to the device
I have the same experience on my A45 walkman, volume changes when switching between the modes.
It's different on my WM1A, there is no volume change from direct sound to EQ settings.

Hi and welcome to the world of custom firmwares. Direct sound does not activate the firmware. The firmware is installed once you load it. Bear in mind that all the sound tunings for the firmware were done with direct sound on and without any other eq or sound processing. That’s the benchmark when I was doing the beta testing and fine tuning the sound signatures for all the different iterations. However you can enable whichever sound processor that you feel sounds best to you. But with direct sound on, the player is optimised for the best battery consumption.

Thank you very much for the explanation, for now I have checked several regions and stayed on WM1Z External Tunning. I'm wondering one more thing, I've had the NWZ-S739 for over a dozen years and when directly compared with the A55, they sound very similar.
Maybe the NWZ-S739 has slightly more sub-bass and the A55 has better resolution, but it is at a very similar level, for me these differences seem very small and not heard in every song. Does this mean that the old NZW-S739 is so good, or is the A55, despite its newer design and better software, not a big upgrade?

Nov 1, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #7,988 of 8,223
Thank you very much for the explanation, for now I have checked several regions and stayed on WM1Z External Tunning. I'm wondering one more thing, I've had the NWZ-S739 for over a dozen years and when directly compared with the A55, they sound very similar.
Maybe the NWZ-S739 has slightly more sub-bass and the A55 has better resolution, but it is at a very similar level, for me these differences seem very small and not heard in every song. Does this mean that the old NZW-S739 is so good, or is the A55, despite its newer design and better software, not a big upgrade?
Although I haven't owned either of those, I've had Sony daps since their second generation ones and over the years moved up the tiers. I'm sure the S739 still sounds good but in my experience the components and firmware (tunings) of Walkmans of more recent years have a higher level of sound, for details, soundstage etc. Perhaps if you listen for a few days then listen to the other those differences will become more apparent.

Nov 17, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #7,989 of 8,223
My ears is not that sensitive yet, still learning to differentiate audio spectrum the focus is more on to achieve how to get a certain sounds. I also use mindstorm's chart for tweaking, I do not think it is accurate but it gave the idea on the direction to use. I have some notes as well on what kind of sounds that I have achieved. There are still some unknown territories like neutral and warm, which I seldom explore, mainly because I like sparkling trebles.

If you need new region's explanation, in a nutshell
J2 has a bit of increased upper mid and a bit of extended treble compared to J, but the way upper mid behaves is like taming a bigger upper mid. It does not sound warmer or leaner but because upper mid gets a bit bumped, there is a feel that it is less warm than J but the sound is still full and still warm. It is a good choice for anyone that feels J is too relaxed
J3 has extended treble, higher upper mid than J2, it is like untamed J2. It has deeper bass. But it does not sound like ESS. Applying this will put more weight on the notes, there is a feeling of majestic due to extended treble and deeper stronger bass

J2 vs U is like AKM vs ESS
J2 vs J3 is like AKM 4493 vs AKM 4497
J is like common R2R DAP (any R2R DAP not made by Hiby, sounds similar to this, tamed upper mid, tamed treble, warmth coming from a bump on low mid to bass, but not reaching sub-bass)

I will create a guide for MrWalkman's ROM later when the time is right.
@MrWalkman what is the reference for Warm and Neutral signature ? Is the warm taken from existing A series ROM ? or is it coming from another rom builder's firmware ?
Hi Brother, greetings from a fellow Indonesian audiophile :)

Was wondering if you are still experimenting with the setting combinations on the WM1A firmware mod? In your experience, what combination sounds closest to stock DMP-Z1?

Will you be attending the upcoming PAPI 2023 show?

Cheers Mas Bro!

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #7,990 of 8,223
Hi Brother, greetings from a fellow Indonesian audiophile :)

Was wondering if you are still experimenting with the setting combinations on the WM1A firmware mod? In your experience, what combination sounds closest to stock DMP-Z1?

Will you be attending the upcoming PAPI 2023 show?

Cheers Mas Bro!
Ah I was late in reading this, yes I have attended the PAPI 2023, and a bit shocked to see a Sony stand there, I did not see one last year
I have finally reached a setting that I can say it is an end game setting for me, which mimicked my desktop set (Topping E70V and Singxer SA1), I do not memorized the region and keep forgetting to take a peek on the setting every time I plugged in the WM1A to load more new CD Ripped flac.

In terms of DMP-Z1, I have never heard the real one, but based on earlier conversation, people testified that the bright mode is indeed identical with DMP-Z1, with less technicalities and offcourse it does not have the DSF mimic feature (forgot the name). Most of the DMP-Z1 units were either region CA or E, so setting it with Bright and either of those regions would get you close to the real one, wither way if you found a real unit belong to anyone in Indonesia and you happen to know the exact region, setting bright with alt dac and to that region should mimic the sound,.

Dec 6, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #7,991 of 8,223
When using the nw-a55 with bluetooth would it be possible to increase the number of steps for adjusting volume or is this a bluetooth limitation that can't be worked around? Pretty often I find that the volume will either be too quiet or too loud with some songs and I can't get it to just the right level compared to using wired headphones.

Dec 6, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #7,992 of 8,223
When using the nw-a55 with bluetooth would it be possible to increase the number of steps for adjusting volume or is this a bluetooth limitation that can't be worked around? Pretty often I find that the volume will either be too quiet or too loud with some songs and I can't get it to just the right level compared to using wired headphones.
This actually ties in to the volume potentiometer gauge on your headphones. Some headphones have bigger jumps than others so there’s no way to change this behaviour from the Walkman.

Dec 6, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #7,993 of 8,223
something is not right with my WM1A, it seems that it will automatically power off whenever it got idle for around 15 minutes. I have checked the setting and made sure that the auto power off option is in off position. So I decided to go back to stock firmware and take out the sd card, see if the problem persists in several days.

So I was expecting that I have to live with a sound that is subpar from my current setting, but on the contrary I found that stock WM1A sound with MX3 sounds livelier than my last end game setting (WM1Z, v2, CEV, Alt DAC), it is the impression I get from listening to Taylor Swift's 1989 D.L.X (I listened this album solely since Monday because I found that the intro song, Welcome To New York can help checking the treble of some equipment, and I was impressed with a DAC/AMP set and I memorized the sound signature using this song as well).

After listening for a while, the livelier feel is probably because of the stock WM1A mid feels more forward compared to the WM1Z, and the treble is less but sounds more neutral. What I missed from WM1Z setting is the bass, even though I used CEV on my last setting, bass on stock is less by around 1 db on mid bass, and probably 2 db on sub bass.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #7,994 of 8,223
something is not right with my WM1A, it seems that it will automatically power off whenever it got idle for around 15 minutes. I have checked the setting and made sure that the auto power off option is in off position. So I decided to go back to stock firmware and take out the sd card, see if the problem persists in several days.

So I was expecting that I have to live with a sound that is subpar from my current setting, but on the contrary I found that stock WM1A sound with MX3 sounds livelier than my last end game setting (WM1Z, v2, CEV, Alt DAC), it is the impression I get from listening to Taylor Swift's 1989 D.L.X (I listened this album solely since Monday because I found that the intro song, Welcome To New York can help checking the treble of some equipment, and I was impressed with a DAC/AMP set and I memorized the sound signature using this song as well).

After listening for a while, the livelier feel is probably because of the stock WM1A mid feels more forward compared to the WM1Z, and the treble is less but sounds more neutral. What I missed from WM1Z setting is the bass, even though I used CEV on my last setting, bass on stock is less by around 1 db on mid bass, and probably 2 db on sub bass.
If you want more bass and stay on stock Sony firmware try 3.01 with region E or MX3. If wanting more bass again Region TW has the most.

Q-6

Users who are viewing this thread

• DNVN
Back