Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 21, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #7,966 of 8,232
Hello, everyone! I recently got a sony walkman nw-a55 and installed mrwalkman’s custom firmware on it. I have a couple questions as I’m quite new to this mod. Is it safe to use the sony music center to copy and erase music from the walkman with mrwalkman’s custom firmware installed on the device (SMC identifies it as a wm1a/wm1z) and in the device settings, will “Format System Storage” or “Restore To Factory Configuration” brick the walkman?

Are these procedures with the custom firmware safe?
Thanks!
-Dr. N
Thanks again, guys. One more thing, Is the ‘Reset all settings’ (Just to restore the default system settings on the cfw) option safe to do?

Oct 21, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #7,967 of 8,232
It was completely a fluke that I had the SD card plugged in at the same time I was running Music Center otherwise I wouldn't have noticed this. When I first got my A55 I tried using a SD card that was formatted on my laptop and it wasn't recognized as a device. I guess the extra files the A55 creates when it formats the card makes the difference
Nah, it's just an exFAT filesystem, with Music directory where all the music must go.
Playing safe, you may want to format the card in the device, aside from that you're much better off using card readers and drag-and-drop.

Oct 21, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #7,968 of 8,232
Thanks again, guys. One more thing, Is the ‘Reset all settings’ (Just to restore the default system settings on the cfw) option safe to do?
Reset settings is fine. No issues. Only need to restore to stock for factory default.

Oct 21, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #7,969 of 8,232
Nah, it's just an exFAT filesystem, with Music directory where all the music must go.
Playing safe, you may want to format the card in the device, aside from that you're much better off using card readers and drag-and-drop.
SenseMe is the best feature of Sony's DAPs and the only reason I even bother with their software - which TBH, is awful, always has been.
At least with the old A series the analysis was done on the device so I'd just use Musicbee to copy the files to the SD and at least get to use a file structure that makes sense for me. Now I know how to use a card reader with Music Center/Media Go, so that'll seriously save some transfer time

Oct 31, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #7,970 of 8,232
Hello everyone. I'm checking the Mr.Walkmann NW1Z software in A50 and I would like to ask if the Direct Sound option activates this software? I have the impression that after turning off DS, the sound is much worse.

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #7,971 of 8,232
Hello everyone. I'm checking the Mr.Walkmann NW1Z software in A50 and I would like to ask if the Direct Sound option activates this software? I have the impression that after turning off DS, the sound is much worse.
You must follow the installation instructions and first install the fw and then install the signature of your choice and then the software is active. It has nothing to do with Direct Sound on or off. I run all 3 of my players with Direct Sound turned on

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #7,973 of 8,232
I wonder if we'll ever see the new FW that was slated for late 2022, let alone in what remains of this year 😢
It would be cool but personally I’m perfectly happy with what I’ve got and I don’t feel I’m missing anything

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #7,975 of 8,232
It would be cool but personally I’m perfectly happy with what I’ve got and I don’t feel I’m missing anything
I agree, I just think the final promised features would be the cherry on top, along with the new region that's meant to be amazing. One last hoorah.

Oct 31, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #7,977 of 8,232
I wonder if we'll ever see the new FW that was slated for late 2022, let alone in what remains of this year 😢
don't think we'll see it this year.

Mrwalkman has posted in the past that he is dealing with life and that currently the firmware is the last thing on his mind.

Along with this most likely being the last firmware update, that will pretty much tie all the loose ends (supposedly a new region that'll be superior to the previous ones and unleashes the s master's potential, super high gain mode, low latency usb dac, WM1A tuning) so I think it's better for him to take his time and release that huge update without having to deal with any bug patch updates etc)

Oct 31, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #7,978 of 8,232
You must follow the installation instructions and first install the fw and then install the signature of your choice and then the software is active. It has nothing to do with Direct Sound on or off. I run all 3 of my players with Direct Sound turned on
MrWalkman software is already installed.
Sound Signature WM1Z (SIG3), Region MX3, PMV2.
I play music in Direct at volume 62, when I turn off DS I have to raise the volume to 72 to equalize the volume.
However, I have the impression that with DS the sound is more dynamic (all correction options are turned off).
Maybe my brain is playing tricks on me... I'm just checking different signatures.

Oct 31, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #7,979 of 8,232
When the firmwares came out it was a very exciting period for Walkman owners to have a chance to step out of the stock tunings, and also 'fix' the album art display etc.
I accept the way Sony operates, but unlike other companies that monitor threads and improve upon their daps from feedback, they had taken us as far as they wanted to go. You could say there was nothing wrong with them, but at least a simple fix for the artwork perhaps?
I'm actually at peace with the last firmware, and still haven't found the time to really experiment out of my favourite regions and tunings. I am interested in the new region, and a chance to see how a pure WM1A tuning sounds on a 1Z.

Nov 1, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #7,980 of 8,232
MrWalkman software is already installed.
Sound Signature WM1Z (SIG3), Region MX3, PMV2.
I play music in Direct at volume 62, when I turn off DS I have to raise the volume to 72 to equalize the volume.
However, I have the impression that with DS the sound is more dynamic (all correction options are turned off).
Maybe my brain is playing tricks on me... I'm just checking different signatures.
Yes that is normal behaviour that volume gets lowered when enabling the possibillity for eq and other features to allow for distortion free headroom, this happens on many devices from many suppliers.

I prefer the sound of Direct Sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back