Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 7, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #7,996 of 8,232
thanks, I'm on 3.01 now, but with region CEV. In this firmware version, if I use MX3, it doesn't pass my Taylor Swift Test. And it sounds more lively.
Indeed. I’ve tested almost all regions extensively. CEV has good weight in the sub and mid bass yet remains resolute and more resolving. MX3 is a bit too thick and subdued but has deeper sub bass. However I still feel J3 has the best all round cohesiveness that no other region has.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #7,997 of 8,232
Indeed. I’ve tested almost all regions extensively. CEV has good weight in the sub and mid bass yet remains resolute and more resolving. MX3 is a bit too thick and subdued but has deeper sub bass. However I still feel J3 has the best all round cohesiveness that no other region has.
I think it is relative to which sound signature. MX3 is too thick for WM1Z, but for WM1A it is still fine and enhances the clarity but because WM1A boosts upper mid, the sound becomes unnatural for some specific sound (Taylor Swift's Welcome to New York, 1989 D.L.X). CEV gives a more natural timbre on that edge case, but still unsure whether it is the sound that I want. I wish J3 is available for WM1A stock sound, wink @MrWalkman . I imagined J3, V2, Alt DAC id going to be a great sound comparable to WM1AM2

Have you tried CEW/CEW2 region ? the region changing tools mentioned that it exists but no mention about it on mindstorm's file.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #7,998 of 8,232
I think it is relative to which sound signature. MX3 is too thick for WM1Z, but for WM1A it is still fine and enhances the clarity but because WM1A boosts upper mid, the sound becomes unnatural for some specific sound (Taylor Swift's Welcome to New York, 1989 D.L.X). CEV gives a more natural timbre on that edge case, but still unsure whether it is the sound that I want. I wish J3 is available for WM1A stock sound, wink @MrWalkman . I imagined J3, V2, Alt DAC id going to be a great sound comparable to WM1AM2

Have you tried CEW/CEW2 region ? the region changing tools mentioned that it exists but no mention about it on mindstorm's file.

I think it's in the tool just because it's a region present on pre-2016 players.

Dec 14, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #7,999 of 8,232
Hey guys! Just recently got my a55 and installed the firmware and i was curious as to what seems to the consensus for the best mix between the regions and the sound signatures? I understand that it varies from person to person but just thought I'd ask to see if there's any stand out combo that people have come across. I'm using the sennheieser ie 300s, letshuoer s12 pros and the sennheiser momentum 4 wireless if anyone has had any experience with them in regards to this player

Thanks for reading!

Dec 14, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #8,000 of 8,232
Hey guys! Just recently got my a55 and installed the firmware and i was curious as to what seems to the consensus for the best mix between the regions and the sound signatures? I understand that it varies from person to person but just thought I'd ask to see if there's any stand out combo that people have come across. I'm using the sennheieser ie 300s, letshuoer s12 pros and the sennheiser momentum 4 wireless if anyone has had any experience with them in regards to this player

Thanks for reading!
This is what I use: Walkman One fw WM1Z, MX3, PlusV2, Alt dac

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #8,002 of 8,232
Thanks for sharing that! Can i ask what is it you find about this combo that makes it work well for you?
Mainly that it sounded good enough with my JH13 that I could not be bothered to experiment further. The combinations are endless and I’d rather just enjoy the music

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #8,003 of 8,232
Mainly that it sounded good enough with my JH13 that I could not be bothered to experiment further. The combinations are endless and I’d rather just enjoy the music
Nailed it. If you find a combination you like very much then stick with it for a good while and enjoy the music instead of always chasing that elusive perfection. If we keep changing the sound signatures all the time we don’t enjoy our music and at the same time it diverts from the main purpose of listening to music, peace!

Believe me, I’ve tested hundreds of beta sound signatures, firmwares, custom regions and etc and I still find myself sticking to what I like best. Which is WM1Z, J3, Plus v2 and alt dac off.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #8,004 of 8,232

Thanks for reading!

This is what I use: Walkman One fw WM1Z, MX3, PlusV2, Alt dac

Similar with @nc8000 , only the region is CEV.

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #8,005 of 8,232
Nailed it. If you find a combination you like very much then stick with it for a good while and enjoy the music instead of always chasing that elusive perfection. If we keep changing the sound signatures all the time we don’t enjoy our music and at the same time it diverts from the main purpose of listening to music, peace!

Believe me, I’ve tested hundreds of beta sound signatures, firmwares, custom regions and etc and I still find myself sticking to what I like best. Which is WM1Z, J3, Plus v2 and alt dac off.
I would probably be on J3 if it was available on the ZX300 and A55 as that is what I’m using on my 1Z

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #8,006 of 8,232

Thanks for reading!
The consensus that matters should be the one between the A55, your earphones and your ears 🙂

To mine, paired with the Moondrop S8, the A55 on W1MZ mod just sounds a bit too lean and harsh, while on Warm/Midnight it sounds bloody fantastic. The difference, for instance, on how drums sound is not small.

I guess on other Walkman hardware and earphones it will be completely different. The S12 might have too much bass shelf for the Warm signature. I don’t own that one, but I do own a pair of 7Hz Timeless, and that sounds quite good as well. It might be that the W1MZ signature pairs better with single DD gear, or higher end Walkmans, I don’t know. Moondrop S8 / A55 / Warm / Normal / DAC 0 / CEW that works for me.

Dec 21, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #8,007 of 8,232
OMG just loaded Walkman One with WM1Z and Plus V2 onto my A45 and wow ! Previously had the stock A55 firmware installed when I bought it, I removed the sound cap, but this just opens it up and sounds much better.

Just listening to Grace Jones on my Koss ksc75 and wow! Even better on Sennheiser 599.

Thank you Mr Walkman.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #8,008 of 8,232
Hi,

Couple questions:

With just the latest Walkman One installed on a WM1A, how much is the gap between a 1A and a 1Z today ?

Can I really reproduce the 1Z sound signature on the 1A ?

Is there anything (in terms of sound (techs (details, soundstage, bass decay etc))) that a 1Z does noticible better than a WM1A with 1Z signature on a Walkman One FW ?

Dec 23, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #8,010 of 8,232
Is there any update for the Mr.Walkman mod J3Region (Walkman_One_J123_(07_03)? it seems not final if see the word "test" (Walkman_One_J_Test_(03_03).exe), and also files do not contain the folder StockRevert as usual,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back