Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 3, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #7,954 of 8,232
Any advice for what settings to try for my first WM1A custom firmware install?
The question is: "Do you like the original WM1A sound signature ?"
1 If the answer is YES. WM1Z + (MX3 or J). Choose the region based on whether you want a relaxed warm sound(J) or a fast, a bit energetic but controlled, high resolution sound (MX3)
2 If the answer is NO, what do you want to improve ?
2.1 If you want sparkling treble: Bright + Alt DAC + V2 + (MX3 or J or J2) (J2 will give you AKM sound which is full sound and vocal focused and sweet, using MX3 will make it sound similar to WM1Z but with a bit more sparkle, J will make it sound like Astell SE 300, analog but a bit blurry sound but enjoyable, no need to analyze each sound)
2.2 If you want more warmth: Warm + Alt DAC + V2 + J3 (turn on Vinyl Processor Arm Resonance + DC Phase Linearization Type A Low for better sound [similar to SP 2000T tube mode])
2.3 If you want a flat sound but with deep strong bass like Sony Discman D-EJ725: Bright + Alt DAC + E (Turn Vinyl Processor Surface Noise + DC Phase Linearization Type A Standard for better sound)

(there is more to this but I forgot that you are a first time user for Mr Walkman's firmware, too many setting will overwhelm you, and losing focus to the music)

Oct 3, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #7,955 of 8,232
The question is: "Do you like the original WM1A sound signature ?"
1 If the answer is YES. WM1Z + (MX3 or J). Choose the region based on whether you want a relaxed warm sound(J) or a fast, a bit energetic but controlled, high resolution sound (MX3)
2 If the answer is NO, what do you want to improve ?
2.1 If you want sparkling treble: Bright + Alt DAC + V2 + (MX3 or J or J2) (J2 will give you AKM sound which is full sound and vocal focused and sweet, using MX3 will make it sound similar to WM1Z but with a bit more sparkle, J will make it sound like Astell SE 300, analog but a bit blurry sound but enjoyable, no need to analyze each sound)
2.2 If you want more warmth: Warm + Alt DAC + V2 + J3 (turn on Vinyl Processor Arm Resonance + DC Phase Linearization Type A Low for better sound [similar to SP 2000T tube mode])
2.3 If you want a flat sound but with deep strong bass like Sony Discman D-EJ725: Bright + Alt DAC + E (Turn Vinyl Processor Surface Noise + DC Phase Linearization Type A Standard for better sound)

(there is more to this but I forgot that you are a first time user for Mr Walkman's firmware, too many setting will overwhelm you, and losing focus to the music)
Thanks - I get overwhelmed with all the cominations and this helps to focus on a direction.
There is a chart created by Mindstorms covering the original stock region and Sony firmwares, if you were to create one covering the new regions and custom firmwares you'd become a legend.

Oct 4, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #7,956 of 8,232
Thanks - I get overwhelmed with all the cominations and this helps to focus on a direction.
There is a chart created by Mindstorms covering the original stock region and Sony firmwares, if you were to create one covering the new regions and custom firmwares you'd become a legend.
My ears is not that sensitive yet, still learning to differentiate audio spectrum the focus is more on to achieve how to get a certain sounds. I also use mindstorm's chart for tweaking, I do not think it is accurate but it gave the idea on the direction to use. I have some notes as well on what kind of sounds that I have achieved. There are still some unknown territories like neutral and warm, which I seldom explore, mainly because I like sparkling trebles.

If you need new region's explanation, in a nutshell
J2 has a bit of increased upper mid and a bit of extended treble compared to J, but the way upper mid behaves is like taming a bigger upper mid. It does not sound warmer or leaner but because upper mid gets a bit bumped, there is a feel that it is less warm than J but the sound is still full and still warm. It is a good choice for anyone that feels J is too relaxed
J3 has extended treble, higher upper mid than J2, it is like untamed J2. It has deeper bass. But it does not sound like ESS. Applying this will put more weight on the notes, there is a feeling of majestic due to extended treble and deeper stronger bass

J2 vs U is like AKM vs ESS
J2 vs J3 is like AKM 4493 vs AKM 4497
J is like common R2R DAP (any R2R DAP not made by Hiby, sounds similar to this, tamed upper mid, tamed treble, warmth coming from a bump on low mid to bass, but not reaching sub-bass)

I will create a guide for MrWalkman's ROM later when the time is right.
@MrWalkman what is the reference for Warm and Neutral signature ? Is the warm taken from existing A series ROM ? or is it coming from another rom builder's firmware ?

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #7,958 of 8,232
Oct 20, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #7,960 of 8,232
Hello, everyone! I recently got a sony walkman nw-a55 and installed mrwalkman’s custom firmware on it. I have a couple questions as I’m quite new to this mod. Is it safe to use the sony music center to copy and erase music from the walkman with mrwalkman’s custom firmware installed on the device (SMC identifies it as a wm1a/wm1z) and in the device settings, will “Format System Storage” or “Restore To Factory Configuration” brick the walkman?

Are these procedures with the custom firmware safe?
Thanks!
-Dr. N

Oct 20, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #7,961 of 8,232
Hello, everyone! I recently got a sony walkman nw-a55 and installed mrwalkman’s custom firmware on it. I have a couple questions as I’m quite new to this mod. Is it safe to use the sony music center to copy and erase music from the walkman with mrwalkman’s custom firmware installed on the device (SMC identifies it as a wm1a/wm1z) and in the device settings, will “Format System Storage” or “Restore To Factory Configuration” brick the walkman?

Thanks!
-Dr. N
You can use anything to sync/copy music but you should never format or restore on anything other than the stock fw

Oct 20, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #7,962 of 8,232

Thanks!
-Dr. N
Hi and welcome to the world of custom firmwares for Walkman. You’ll never hear the same again!

To answer your questions, it’s perfectly safe to use music center to load your music although in my opinion directly copying them over is much faster and convenient. And if you ever want to restore your Walkman to factory settings, please use the stock revert tool that came with the custom firmware first before doing any restoring. Other than that you’re good to go.

Oct 20, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #7,963 of 8,232

Thanks!
-Dr. N

You can use anything to sync/copy music but you should never format or restore on anything other than the stock fw

Hi and welcome to the world of custom firmwares for Walkman. You’ll never hear the same again!

To answer your questions, it’s perfectly safe to use music center to load your music although in my opinion directly copying them over is much faster and convenient. And if you ever want to restore your Walkman to factory settings, please use the stock revert tool that came with the custom firmware first before doing any restoring. Other than that you’re good to go.
Yes, you can use Music Center to copy the music across. In fact that's the only way to get get use of the Senseme channels (needs to be analysed on the computer first).
You can also use Media Go. It basically does the same thing, just less bloat and not as prone to crash/freeze as Music Center (my exp. anyways).
Like mentioned above using the Sony software is much slower to transfer directly and doesn't have any options for custom file naming/folder hierarchy. I did recently discover that if the SD card has been formatted in the device you can just use a card reader instead of transferring over USB to the device itself - much faster IME (music center treats the sd card as a virtual device).

Oct 20, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #7,965 of 8,232
The device is USB2, the card readers are most likely USB3 - HUGE speed difference!
It was completely a fluke that I had the SD card plugged in at the same time I was running Music Center otherwise I wouldn't have noticed this. When I first got my A55 I tried using a SD card that was formatted on my laptop and it wasn't recognized as a device. I guess the extra files the A55 creates when it formats the card makes the difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back