Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Sep 10, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #7,936 of 8,236
I'm an engineer, with a researcher mindset. The reason why I bought WM1A is because I like to tinker around, there is a certain sound that I seek, so I started with exploring this WM1A capabilities, I found that I can recreate other DAP's sound using WM1A + Mr Walkman's firmware, sometimes I intentionally go to an audio shop, tried anything DAP and attempt to recreate the sound. Found some config for SE 300, SP series (or SR 25 with fuller body, extended treble and deeper and stronger bass), Cayin N3 Pro solid state (there was a sound similar with the triode as well but I forgot to take note). Then suddenly I remembered my initial goal, which is to recreate my father's old setup, which is what I am currently doing. I have fun while doing that, sorry if I fill this thread with my questions.

Additionally, there is an audio community in my country, which is called "Audio Kere Hore", which in old times, their spirit is to find something that is more valuable then the price we pay. Hence, that spirit is also what inspires me to explore Mr Walkman's firmware. For example, SP 2000T second hand still around USD 1500, its tube sound is great, I can reproduce its sound using WM1A (Warm + J3 + Alternative DAC) and second hand WM1A only cost me USD 600 last December, I got more values than the price that I paid by doing that.
There's nothing to apologize for. Keep up the good work.
I look forward to your posts every time and save your observations about settings and sound to my notes. This is really useful information, thank you.
This goes for other members as well, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Sep 10, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #7,937 of 8,236
I am using Bright + CA right now, in an attempt to produce sounds that is similar with Astell SP Series, comparing with Astell SR 25 and Cayin N3 Pro, I feel slow (as if the tempo is slower). Have tried setting the filter to Sharp Roll Off, still feeling slow. Any advice ?

UPDATE: after searching the whole thread looking for answers, it seems that the problem lies on the upper mid, frequency 2-4K is responsible for the attack, so I need a region that gives a good attack, strangely my original region fits to the description which is E, there was also someone in past mentioned about using E to get a good attack on WM1A. Now trying E and compare it. I think it solves one problem right now, still feels that it is a touch too warm. Tried J3, U3, E fits right now. I am currently looking to make it sound similar to my father's old setup (by memory).
Maybe MX3 + alternate dac and gain = 1

or just gain = 1 as I found it makes the attack quicker and brings a lot of energy and liveliness to the sound

Sep 10, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #7,938 of 8,236
I'm an engineer, with a researcher mindset. The reason why I bought WM1A is because I like to tinker around, there is a certain sound that I seek, so I started with exploring this WM1A capabilities, I found that I can recreate other DAP's sound using WM1A + Mr Walkman's firmware, sometimes I intentionally go to an audio shop, tried anything DAP and attempt to recreate the sound. Found some config for SE 300, SP series (or SR 25 with fuller body, extended treble and deeper and stronger bass), Cayin N3 Pro solid state (there was a sound similar with the triode as well but I forgot to take note). Then suddenly I remembered my initial goal, which is to recreate my father's old setup, which is what I am currently doing. I have fun while doing that, sorry if I fill this thread with my questions.

Additionally, there is an audio community in my country, which is called "Audio Kere Hore", which in old times, their spirit is to find something that is more valuable then the price we pay. Hence, that spirit is also what inspires me to explore Mr Walkman's firmware. For example, SP 2000T second hand still around USD 1500, its tube sound is great, I can reproduce its sound using WM1A (Warm + J3 + Alternative DAC) and second hand WM1A only cost me USD 600 last December, I got more values than the price that I paid by doing that.
Cool

Sep 10, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #7,939 of 8,236

I like that you are actively experimenting, I feel a lot of people have already long settled in with a favourite.
There was a time where I only had a ZX300 (pre-firmwares) and my music rotation was quite small, and I knew it so well I could hear differences in recordings, formats, cables etc. Now circumstances are different, I work 6 days and have more things going on so my quality listening time is low, and since getting a 1TB card my music library has exponentially expanded and I seldom listen to the same music. Also I have acquired more gear so don't have that familiarity. I am really satisfied with my level of gear and my choice of settings, but would like to see if I can improve upon that.

Sep 11, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #7,941 of 8,236
Sony A55 - 150€
Sony WM1A - 1200€

Reason enough? :D
I was thinking more along the line of buying an 1A and then trying to make it sound like an A&K dap rather than then just buying an A&K dap from the start if that was the desired sound sig, but he gave a nice explanation for why

Sep 14, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #7,942 of 8,236
I was thinking more along the line of buying an 1A and then trying to make it sound like an A&K dap rather than then just buying an A&K dap from the start if that was the desired sound sig, but he gave a nice explanation for why
Ah yes, too much emphasize on A&K DAP, that's also because the audio shop that I frequently come to, has many selections of A&K DAP compared to other brands, will attempt to replicate other brands as well. I think Cayin N8ii is achievable both solid state and tube mode.
Maybe MX3 + alternate dac and gain = 1

or just gain = 1 as I found it makes the attack quicker and brings a lot of energy and liveliness to the sound
True, thanks. E is acceptable but needs turning vinyl processor and DC phase linearisation to get what I want, using MX3, direct sound is enough. With IER M9, I got better sound than what I initially want to achieve (got what I wanted using different gears combinations).

Sep 14, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #7,943 of 8,236
Ah yes, too much emphasize on A&K DAP, that's also because the audio shop that I frequently come to, has many selections of A&K DAP compared to other brands, will attempt to replicate other brands as well. I think Cayin N8ii is achievable both solid state and tube mode.

True, thanks. E is acceptable but needs turning vinyl processor and DC phase linearisation to get what I want, using MX3, direct sound is enough. With IER M9, I got better sound than what I initially want to achieve (got what I wanted using different gears combinations).
awesome, glad you found your sound, i probably need to snag a pair or ier m9 or z1r, sent my wm1a to get nayparm modded, wondering what the ultimate walkman will sound like with the ultimate sony iems :)

Sep 14, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #7,944 of 8,236
awesome, glad you found your sound, i probably need to snag a pair or ier m9 or z1r, sent my wm1a to get nayparm modded, wondering what the ultimate walkman will sound like with the ultimate sony iems :)
There are no magic involved in the integration between them. Basically new walkman DAP or settings has a bump in low mid, while new Sony IEM has a bit recessed low mid which resulted in thin sounds when used with neutral DAP, but combined with WM1A / WM1Z, the sound is full. This applies to both Z1R and M9 only.

XBA-Z5 is the other way around, it has a bump on low mid, combined with WM1A/Z resulting in muddy sounds, especially if you use MX3 region. But it will sound better if you pairs it with A&K DAP (SR or SP series) or other neutral or flat DAP.

Sep 15, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #7,945 of 8,236
There are no magic involved in the integration between them. Basically new walkman DAP or settings has a bump in low mid, while new Sony IEM has a bit recessed low mid which resulted in thin sounds when used with neutral DAP, but combined with WM1A / WM1Z, the sound is full. This applies to both Z1R and M9 only.

XBA-Z5 is the other way around, it has a bump on low mid, combined with WM1A/Z resulting in muddy sounds, especially if you use MX3 region. But it will sound better if you pairs it with A&K DAP (SR or SP series) or other neutral or flat DAP.
I recently repurchased the Z5 after a love affair several years ago - your post sums up my experincewith my WM1Z. I don't mind the pairing but will look for something else more complimentary.

Sep 15, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #7,946 of 8,236
I recently repurchased the Z5 after a love affair several years ago - your post sums up my experincewith my WM1Z. I don't mind the pairing but will look for something else more complimentary.
Astell SP/SR series DAP pairs well with XBA-Z5, alternatively, you can change your region to CA or probably J2, my hunch CEV will work fine as well because I find the sound coming from CEV region not full enough to my taste.
UPDATE: I just tried XBA-Z5 with Cayin N3 Pro, the solid state, and both tube mode pairs well even on a warm track like Julio Iglesias' Crazy didn't sound muddy at all, based on that you can use J2 as well with WM1A as the sound is similar (AKM chipset sound, which is sweet, full sounding).

Yesterday I found that the cheap MH-750, is a great pair to Bright+MX3+Alt DAC+High Gain WM1A, still a Sony signature sound I say

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #7,947 of 8,236
Astell SP/SR series DAP pairs well with XBA-Z5, alternatively, you can change your region to CA or probably J2, my hunch CEV will work fine as well because I find the sound coming from CEV region not full enough to my taste.
UPDATE: I just tried XBA-Z5 with Cayin N3 Pro, the solid state, and both tube mode pairs well even on a warm track like Julio Iglesias' Crazy didn't sound muddy at all, based on that you can use J2 as well with WM1A as the sound is similar (AKM chipset sound, which is sweet, full sounding).

Yesterday I found that the cheap MH-750, is a great pair to Bright+MX3+Alt DAC+High Gain WM1A, still a Sony signature sound I say
I find a decent amount of power can help the Z5 sound good. I mainly use my IER-Z1R so my ears have adjusted to the sub-bass focus from the Z5's mid-bass leaning.
I just got the BLON-03 and find a totally satisfying pairing with my 1Z - J3 + WM1Z. I haven't experiemented with the Alt DAC yet. One day I'll get around to trying the MH-750.

Sep 16, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #7,948 of 8,236
I find a decent amount of power can help the Z5 sound good. I mainly use my IER-Z1R so my ears have adjusted to the sub-bass focus from the Z5's mid-bass leaning.
I just got the BLON-03 and find a totally satisfying pairing with my 1Z - J3 + WM1Z. I haven't experiemented with the Alt DAC yet. One day I'll get around to trying the MH-750.
Alt dac removes the upper mid bump that always there, it makes the sound cleaner, but by using that we will lose the vintage analog feel as well

Oct 1, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #7,949 of 8,236
Hi. I am looking to update my headphone set up. I mostly drive the fiio fh3 and I also have the sennheiser hd599. The thing is that I look for suggestions that would make a nice pair with my nw-a45. The sound of fh3's it was good enough but I had some quality issues. I would like to hear any suggestions both earphones and headphones my budget is 300€. Thanks for your help by the way.

Oct 1, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #7,950 of 8,236
Hi. I am looking to update my headphone set up. I mostly drive the fiio fh3 and I also have the sennheiser hd599. The thing is that I look for suggestions that would make a nice pair with my nw-a45. The sound of fh3's it was good enough but I had some quality issues. I would like to hear any suggestions both earphones and headphones my budget is 300€. Thanks for your help by the way.
I like the TansioMirai Sands (very treble focused) or 7HZ Timeless with all my Sony daps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back