Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Aug 11, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #7,201 of 8,217
More connection options, the WM1A will be able to output to many more headphones with a stronger 4.4mm connector with higher wattage, wider soundstage, cleaner presentation, you feel the presence of the instruments in your face the WM 1A will be an eventual heirloom. It’s so darn close to the sound quality to the WM1Z, that you wouldn’t need the DMP-Z1 or the TA-ZH1ES. It’s a one and done DAP that is very versatile with its Bluetooth connections as well.
Well said. My feelings as well.

Aug 12, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #7,202 of 8,217
Debating on getting a A55 or ZX300 or WM1A (used device with custom firmware). There's a 370$ difference between the A55 and the WM1A, and 250$ between ZX300 and WM1A. What are the benefits of getting the pricier player? Thanks a lot for your help!
All 3 are very good options at each their price point and each is progressively better than the lower level but the WalkmanOne modded fw has certainly done a lot to reduce the gaps. The ZX300 must be the sweet spot as you get the 4.4 in a more compact unit but the 1A will always be the best of the 3.

Aug 13, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #7,203 of 8,217
All 3 are very good options at each their price point and each is progressively better than the lower level but the WalkmanOne modded fw has certainly done a lot to reduce the gaps. The ZX300 must be the sweet spot as you get the 4.4 in a more compact unit but the 1A will always be the best of the 3.

Thanks! What about battery health with a used player? Should I worry? Does it degrade a lot over time?

Aug 13, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #7,204 of 8,217
Thanks! What about battery health with a used player? Should I worry? Does it degrade a lot over time?
There are people on here who have passed 10.000 hours play time in 5-6 years on the stock battery of the 1A and are still getting good play time on a charge

Aug 21, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #7,205 of 8,217
Wow with the mrwalkman mods and the WM1a. The WM1Z external tunning gave me the feeling of a pretty good improvement in soundstage and treble.
But I was missing that low and meaty stock sound, and so far I'm in warm mode and loving it. I'll keep playing around but if I already liked the stock wm1a, this is great.
Thanks MrWalkman :)

Aug 21, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #7,207 of 8,217
Different firmware from MrWalkman and different regions are some kind of masterpieces of sound architecture. We are waiting for the new firmware, which will increase the player's power.
Just be aware that with more power comes twice the battery drain. There are no miracles when it comes to physics. 😅

Aug 21, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #7,208 of 8,217
Wow with the mrwalkman mods and the WM1a. The WM1Z external tunning gave me the feeling of a pretty good improvement in soundstage and treble.
But I was missing that low and meaty stock sound, and so far I'm in warm mode and loving it. I'll keep playing around but if I already liked the stock wm1a, this is great.
Thanks MrWalkman :)
This is exactly where I am too! If you switch back & fourth between 3.02 and Walkman One, you'll notice that "lack" of meaty bass. I just haven't been 100% ok with that, so I'm on the Sony stock fw. 3.02 for now. Everything else is incredible and if the bass could be turned in the direction of that stock low-end, I would be even happier! Maybe is because I'm a rock-fan! :)

Aug 21, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #7,209 of 8,217
This is exactly where I am too! If you switch back & fourth between 3.02 and Walkman One, you'll notice that "lack" of meaty bass. I just haven't been 100% ok with that, so I'm on the Sony stock fw. 3.02 for now. Everything else is incredible and if the bass could be turned in the direction of that stock low-end, I would be even happier! Maybe is because I'm a rock-fan! :)
Just enable WM1Z profile (if you have a WM1Z) and it's basically stock. Then you can just tweak the region.

Aug 21, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #7,211 of 8,217
There are miracles in physics too. In the strange world of physics, the impossible is sometimes possible. For example, cold cold, molecular black hole, metallic hydrogen...
Fair, but with regards the extra power, there are no miracles. I know because I've tried it 😉

Aug 21, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #7,212 of 8,217
Just enable WM1Z profile (if you have a WM1Z) and it's basically stock. Then you can just tweak the region.
I have and it's actually the one I had in mind, when I mentioned it. There's bass alright, but not in the same "meaty" way. Sounds like something been removed/reduced at the area of 100kHz. But I haven't given up yet. Still switching back & fourth and tip rolling!

Aug 21, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #7,213 of 8,217
I have and it's actually the one I had in mind, when I mentioned it. There's bass alright, but not in the same "meaty" way. Sounds like something been removed/reduced at the area of 100kHz. But I haven't given up yet. Still switching back & fourth and tip rolling!
Are you using the wm1z sound signature, J3 region, plus v2 and dac initialization on normal mode?

Aug 21, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #7,214 of 8,217
Are you using the wm1z sound signature, J3 region, plus v2 and dac initialization on normal mode?
No, but now I will check it out! (again)! Thanks...!

Aug 21, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #7,215 of 8,217
No, but now I will check it out! (again)! Thanks...!
Ok because this config gives me more than enough bass punch. And I love bass! The bass is well defined and very spacious as well. Sounds beautiful especially with vocal jazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back