Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jul 25, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #7,186 of 8,217
In SETTING.TXT ?

[REGION]
#
# Available regions from the destination tool:
# J, U, U2, U3, CA, CEV, CE7, CEW, CEW2, CN, KR, E,
# MX, E2, MX3, TW, J1, J2, J3
#
# Any of the regions above will bring a change to the
# sound signature.
#
# Type the chosen destination after the equal sign (no spaces after).
# For example: REG=E
# Default is [MX3].

REG=J3
Yep

Jul 25, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #7,187 of 8,217
Jul 29, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #7,188 of 8,217
I'm more than happy with my WM1A on Mr. Walkman's latest Firmware.

What will change in sound when I'm buying WM1Z as an upgrade?

Jul 29, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #7,189 of 8,217
I'm more than happy with my WM1A on Mr. Walkman's latest Firmware.

What will change in sound when I'm buying WM1Z as an upgrade?
You think the WM1A is better than the DMP? Asking per your signature

Jul 31, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #7,191 of 8,217
Ahh, finally the holiday has started for me, which means more quality time with the music (family first, off cause). That have given me enough time to evaluate better and the result is that I have returned to the Walkman ONE firmware. What I can recommend is that give it time to get used to (as mentioned a lot of time i this tread & the "big one"). Try not to change anything in trying to get the sound you're chasing (tips, cable, region etc.) Because that's what I did!
I must admit that it's just better, more refined. And I was seeking some of that bass impact that the Sony 3.02 fw have, but I fund it with the JVC Spiral dots (the regular). So lot's of respect to the great work of Mr.Walkman from me! I'm back! :)
Sound signature WM1Z, reg.E, Boot mode Normal, Normal gain, Normal dac, DC Phase Lineaizer on Type B low, Vinyl processor on Arm resonance. This is just for inspirational purposes!

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #7,192 of 8,217
As a newbe here (just recently purchased WM1Z and WM1A): Have the remaining sound differences between WM1A and WM1Z been discussed here, when using Walkman One with identical settings on both?
I installed the same settings on both 10 mins ago and made just a quick comparision. So far the differences seem pretty minor to my ears. I will check more with other types of music.

Aug 6, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #7,193 of 8,217
As a newbe here (just recently purchased WM1Z and WM1A): Have the remaining sound differences between WM1A and WM1Z been discussed here, when using Walkman One with identical settings on both?
I installed the same settings on both 10 mins ago and made just a quick comparision. So far the differences seem pretty minor to my ears. I will check more with other types of music.
Well, I haven't been able to compare, I "only" have the 1Z (used to own a 1A). But the consensus here is, that the difference is only in the few component variations. And that it benefits both models. And don't get me started on the improvement in sound with this Walkman ONE fw. Wow!

Aug 6, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #7,194 of 8,217
It seems I’m back, something about the WM1A works unbelievably well with the 7hz Timeless - surprising synergy!

This is fast becoming my movie / YT music preference.

Aug 6, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #7,195 of 8,217
I have a nice selection of TOTL DAPs and just out of curiosity got the Sonys, but I have to say, I love and will keep them. It must be their musicality. And now with Walkman One I love them even more!

Aug 6, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #7,196 of 8,217
It seems I’m back, something about the WM1A works unbelievably well with the 7hz Timeless - surprising synergy!

This is fast becoming my movie / YT music preference.
movies absolutely sounds great using wm1a. a guilty pleasure of mine to immerse myself in an action movie away from the wife hahaha. I'm still waiting for mrW to drop the low latency mod so i can share this magic with the family through our speakers.

Aug 6, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #7,197 of 8,217
I have a 1A and !Z, both running J3, Plus V2 and 1Z tuning. To me the difference is a deeper bass on the 1Z, better details and a larger soundstage.

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #7,198 of 8,217
I have a nice selection of TOTL DAPs and just out of curiosity got the Sonys, but I have to say, I love and will keep them. It must be their musicality. And now with Walkman One I love them even more!
How do they compare to the L&P P6 Pro in your opinion?
Can you share your main impressions, please. And tell a little about what kind of music you would prefer for Sony or L&P.

Aug 11, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #7,200 of 8,217
More connection options, the WM1A will be able to output to many more headphones with a stronger 4.4mm connector with higher wattage, wider soundstage, cleaner presentation, you feel the presence of the instruments in your face the WM 1A will be an eventual heirloom. It’s so darn close to the sound quality to the WM1Z, that you wouldn’t need the DMP-Z1 or the TA-ZH1ES. It’s a one and done DAP that is very versatile with its Bluetooth connections as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back