Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Mar 11, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #6,798 of 8,223
Watching a movie with J3 is really cool, especially with the voices being heard more clear.

Mr. Walkman this is just AMAZING switched to J3 and soundstage and 3d is totally awsome. Thanks for your work! Really enjoy it! :)

Amazing! I'm glad you like it!

Mar 12, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #6,799 of 8,223
I've run stock revert and reinstalled stock firmware, and then installed the new version of Walkman One but on the settings file J3 isn't listed?

In fact I'm not able to change any settings in the text file as it says the file is locked.

EDIT: checking the text file after a reboot seems to have saved J3 region so I assume it has worked.

Are people recommending alternate DAC with J3?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #6,800 of 8,223
I've run stock revert and reinstalled stock firmware, and then installed the new version of Walkman One but on the settings file J3 isn't listed?

In fact I'm not able to change any settings in the text file as it says the file is locked.

EDIT: checking the text file after a reboot seems to have saved J3 region so I assume it has worked.

Glad it worked for you. I prefer normal DAC mode. Regardless of sound signatures or regions. Alternate DAC brings about a metallic tinge to the sound and doesn’t sound as natural.

Mar 12, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #6,801 of 8,223

I run plus 2 and alternate dac and like it

Mar 12, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #6,802 of 8,223
hello, I did a test with my Wm1z firmware Bright plus v2 and alternative dac in direct source mode. I selected the High gain mode therefore 1 in the cfw file and the sound is less strong than the normal mode 0. Using a volume 75 source direct activity sound level meter with mode 1 High I am at 82db and with mode 0 normal I am at 83db. I don't understand why. Has anyone noticed the same thing? thank you

Mar 12, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #6,803 of 8,223
hello, I did a test with my Wm1z firmware Bright plus v2 and alternative dac in direct source mode. I selected the High gain mode therefore 1 in the cfw file and the sound is less strong than the normal mode 0. Using a volume 75 source direct activity sound level meter with mode 1 High I am at 82db and with mode 0 normal I am at 83db. I don't understand why. Has anyone noticed the same thing? thank you
No, you’re not wrong. I have come to the same conclusion, after a lot of testing. I love the Walkman One, but for outdoor use (to & from work), it lacks some sort of body. And for that reason, I’m back on fw. 3.01.

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #6,804 of 8,223

I don't know exactly what's happening, or what to say.

No, you’re not wrong. I have come to the same conclusion, after a lot of testing. I love the Walkman One, but for outdoor use (to & from work), it lacks some sort of body. And for that reason, I’m back on fw. 3.01.

He was talking about the "higher gain" option in the settings file. I also find the Bright sound signature lacking body (with my gear). This is why I use the WM1Z one.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #6,805 of 8,223
I don't know exactly what's happening, or what to say.

He was talking about the "higher gain" option in the settings file. I also find the Bright sound signature lacking body (with my gear). This is why I use the WM1Z one.
Let me be a little more precise then. First off, let me confirm that I truly love the Walkman One FW. To my hearing it “clears up the fog” on the OFW. And if I was to only use it indoor in quiet surroundings, its the best. But since I use my Walkman mainly outdoor (to & from work), I have come to the conclusion that I need more body to the sound in that kind of use. I have worked with large PA systems and generally outdoor demands some extra low end amplification.
I also find higher gain to “slim the sound”. It get louder, but loose a little body.
V2 gives better definitions, but loose a little body.
Different dac makes the sound even more transparent, but loose a little body
Bright tuning sounds wonderful, but loose a little body
You get the picture?
That is my observations after listening a week with each setting. We are in “the little differences department “, here. I was in doubt myself on was this the right observation or not, so I went right back to original Sony fw 3.01 and that showed the missing body to the sound. I’m not a bass fan or anything near that, but my number 1 goal is to be entertained by my Walkman. For audiophile entertainment, Walkman One anytime!
hopefully mr.Walkman can feel a little love shining through here as well!👍 :)

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #6,806 of 8,223
Let me be a little more precise then. First off, let me confirm that I truly love the Walkman One FW. To my hearing it “clears up the fog” on the OFW. And if I was to only use it indoor in quiet surroundings, its the best. But since I use my Walkman mainly outdoor (to & from work), I have come to the conclusion that I need more body to the sound in that kind of use. I have worked with large PA systems and generally outdoor demands some extra low end amplification.
I also find higher gain to “slim the sound”. It get louder, but loose a little body.
V2 gives better definitions, but loose a little body.
Different dac makes the sound even more transparent, but loose a little body
Bright tuning sounds wonderful, but loose a little body
You get the picture?
That is my observations after listening a week with each setting. We are in “the little differences department “, here. I was in doubt myself on was this the right observation or not, so I went right back to original Sony fw 3.01 and that showed the missing body to the sound. I’m not a bass fan or anything near that, but my number 1 goal is to be entertained by my Walkman. For audiophile entertainment, Walkman One anytime!
hopefully mr.Walkman can feel a little love shining through here as well!👍 :)
Try the new test version of WalkMan One with region J3, Plus v2 and 1Z signature. That's what I'm using and switching to Region J3 the low end was enhanced and is more prominent but still natural.

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #6,807 of 8,223
Try the new test version of WalkMan One with region J3, Plus v2 and 1Z signature. That's what I'm using and switching to Region J3 the low end was enhanced and is more prominent but still natural.

He did, but not with the WM1Z sound signature.

Mar 13, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #6,808 of 8,223
I have. And you're right in your observations! But it just doesn't sound right! And the WM1Z signature is used. If you go back to the OFW, you'll hear the body right away!

Mar 13, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #6,809 of 8,223
I have. And you're right in your observations! But it just doesn't sound right! And the WM1Z signature is used. If you go back to the OFW, you'll hear the body right away!
You are in the minority on this. I wonder if it's due to your 1Z being modded?

Mar 13, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #6,810 of 8,223
You are in the minority on this. I wonder if it's due to your 1Z being modded?
My 1Z is modded and I clearly prefer the sound of WalkanOne with Bright, alternate dac and plusV2 but then I only use mine indoors in quiet rooms

Users who are viewing this thread

Back