Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Mar 13, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #6,811 of 8,223
My recomandations are, from what I think sounds good (with my gear):

1. WM1Z with MX3 region, Plus v2 mode, DAC init 0
2. WM1Z with MX3 region, Normal mode, DAC init 0
3. Neutral with TW region, Plus v2 mode, DAC init 1 (I didn't try other combinations for Neutral yet)
4. Warm with MX3 region, Plus v2 mode, DAC init 1 (same as above, didn't try other combinations for Warm)
5. Bright with MX3, Plus v2 mode, DAC init 1 (this one sounds nice, but I'm not too much over sparkling highs like that)
How do I boot it into the different modes?

Mar 13, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #6,812 of 8,223
Too many changeable factors recently to be able to offer any specific comparisons, but J3 is very pleasing to my ears - thanks @MrWalkman for providing yet another option and chance to have a change. Is this derived from stock J, does this mean the remote setting is on by default?

I'm aware of brain burn-in, but I'm positive that my 1Z has had noticeable changes from 200 > 250+ hours. I had clocked 200 on stock and had found the treble a bit exaggerated, highlighting imperfections in recordings too much. I then played with regions and firmwares to take the edge off it but it only seemed to come right recently allowing me to go back to previous combinations and even stock to experience a smoother well rounded sound - that Walkman sweet spot. I'm currently on J3 with Bright.

I'm very happy with my 1Z, particularly now that the sound has settled in and smoothed out (burn-in?), but my new 1TB miscroSD card has brought me more enjoyment than I thought. Although I wasn't near capacity of my 512GB I realise I had always decided to leave albums or bands off, or just go for 'best of's to save space which denied me the opportunity to expose myself to new bands or the full experience of bands I liked. My expansion and enjoyment of music has spiked off the charts.

Mar 13, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #6,814 of 8,223
How do I boot it into the different modes?
Edit the settings.txt file in the cfw folder in the internal memory and then restart the player. If you changed to a different tuning you then have to run the tuning installer in the cfw folder which will restart the player again

Mar 14, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #6,815 of 8,223
Mar 14, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #6,816 of 8,223
hello, I did a test with my Wm1z firmware Bright plus v2 and alternative dac in direct source mode. I selected the High gain mode therefore 1 in the cfw file and the sound is less strong than the normal mode 0. Using a volume 75 source direct activity sound level meter with mode 1 High I am at 82db and with mode 0 normal I am at 83db. I don't understand why. Has anyone noticed the same thing? thank you
I did experienced the when high gain in the cfw is on 1 and you turn high gain on in settings, the volume drops!

Mar 14, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #6,817 of 8,223
hello, I did a test with my Wm1z firmware Bright plus v2 and alternative dac in direct source mode. I selected the High gain mode therefore 1 in the cfw file and the sound is less strong than the normal mode 0. Using a volume 75 source direct activity sound level meter with mode 1 High I am at 82db and with mode 0 normal I am at 83db. I don't understand why. Has anyone noticed the same thing? thank you
I did experienced the when high gain in the cfw is on 1 and you turn high gain on in settings, the volume drops!

The "higher gain" option from the settings file is indeed weird a bit, in a way. One thing I realized later is that it only works with Direct Source, for example.

I will test this a bit more to figure out exactly the conditions in which this option works, and I will mention specifics in the settings file for the next update.

Let me be a little more precise then. First off, let me confirm that I truly love the Walkman One FW. To my hearing it “clears up the fog” on the OFW. And if I was to only use it indoor in quiet surroundings, its the best. But since I use my Walkman mainly outdoor (to & from work), I have come to the conclusion that I need more body to the sound in that kind of use. I have worked with large PA systems and generally outdoor demands some extra low end amplification.
I also find higher gain to “slim the sound”. It get louder, but loose a little body.
V2 gives better definitions, but loose a little body.
Different dac makes the sound even more transparent, but loose a little body
Bright tuning sounds wonderful, but loose a little body
You get the picture?
That is my observations after listening a week with each setting. We are in “the little differences department “, here. I was in doubt myself on was this the right observation or not, so I went right back to original Sony fw 3.01 and that showed the missing body to the sound. I’m not a bass fan or anything near that, but my number 1 goal is to be entertained by my Walkman. For audiophile entertainment, Walkman One anytime!
hopefully mr.Walkman can feel a little love shining through here as well!👍 :)

Well, whatever works for you, in the end.

With the WM1Z sound signature (J3 region, low gain, single-ended port, normal gain in the settings file + MDR-1AM2) I don't feel like there's anything missing. I actually feel like I can hear more details in comparison to previous experiences, and the bass reminds me more of the MDR-Z7M2, in the way that it doesn't muddy the details at all, while still definitely being present/enough. In any case, I really enjoy the experience.

I didn't try "Bright" in a long time. I found it indeed to have a missing body in a way which, combined with the extra highs, I wouldn't really find myself using it.

Mar 14, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #6,818 of 8,223
I will test this a bit more to figure out exactly the conditions in which this option works, and I will mention specifics in the settings file for the next update.

I actually just tested this, and I can confirm that it doesn't work while "High Gain" is active in the player's settings.

I can also confirm that having "higher gain" active in the settings file while "High Gain" is also active in the player's settings, results in the gain being slightly lower, at least on the balanced port.

Also, the "higher gain" option also works when Direct Source is not active!

So, the conclusion is:
- The "higher gain" option (available for WM1A/Z and ZX300) in the settings file works for both the balanced and single-ended ports, even if Direct Source is not active, but only while "High Gain" is not active in the player's settings.

My opinion is that this option can still be useful to have, as it can provide higher gain without engaging the high gain circuitry in the player.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #6,819 of 8,223

The next update will have one more option available, which works only with Direct Source. So there will be:
- Lower gain
- Normal gain
- Higher gain
- Much higher gain (?) - I am not sure how to name it yet.

The new option will provide much higher gain. I am curious about measurements with a dB meter then. :)

Mar 14, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #6,821 of 8,223
The next update will have one more option available, which works only with Direct Source. So there will be:
- Lower gain
- Normal gain
- Higher gain
- Much higher gain (?) - I am not sure how to name it yet.

The new option will provide much higher gain. I am curious about measurements with a dB meter then. :)
What about “Max. gain”?
And I’m trying Walkman One J123 out again. On J3, higher gain, normal dac, normal mode. Your improvements are hard to unhear again! :)

Mar 14, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #6,822 of 8,223
What about “Max. gain”?
And I’m trying Walkman One J123 out again. On J3, higher gain, normal dac, normal mode. Your improvements are hard to unhear again! :)

That could be an idea.

You could give the "WM1Z" a try again, you may find it different with something like the J3 region.

Mar 14, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #6,823 of 8,223
That could be an idea.

You could give the "WM1Z" a try again, you may find it different with something like the J3 region.
Been listening/trying Bright, Midnight & Neutral intensely, but to my ears WM1Z is the winner. So that’s the preferred one!👍

Mar 14, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #6,824 of 8,223
Gonna have to send more beers to Mr Walkman for this ridiculously good fw known as Walkman One. Idk why but it didn't sound right to me months ago and I stuck w the older fws.. Boy was I missing out.

Mar 15, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #6,825 of 8,223
I'm loving J3 on my 1Z.

Compared to the 1A with J3, the 1Z has a fuller and richer low end that produces a more balanced and natural sound. In comparison, the 1A is more detailed with more pronounced highs. So to me, it sounds thinner than the 1Z with more prominent vocals. I believe that it's due to the hardware differences.

For this comparison I used my Solaris 2020, SednaEarfit XELASTEC tips, DHC Clone Silver balanced. With both on 1Z tuning and Plus v2.

I changed the to the Clone Fusion Balanced on the 1A and prefer it over the Clone Silver. The Fusion adds more weight at the bottom, but the details are still there as on the Clone Silver. However it's still not the same as the Clone Silver on the 1Z. The 1Z is has a more balanced and natural sound.

So my overall preference is the 1Z Clone Silver pairing. But for on the go listening (commuting), the 1A Clone Fusion is no slouch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back