Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 21, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #3,932 of 8,223
Since everyone is busy shifting through the myriad of new firmwares, let me add a little more confusion to the mix. The plus versions have always been touted as the “better” sounding of the 2 modes. I must admit I too have been spending lots of times on the plus version even during the testing of the pre release versions of these firmwares. But I started my Walkman without activating the hold switch earlier and obviously I was booted into midnight classic mode.
I heard a different sound suddenly. A sound that was so pleasant and smooth. A sound with impeccable bass definition and dynamics. Classic is often left in the dark but now midnight classic has jumped to the top of the list for me. Try it and let me know. Also I found just with the dsee AI on and phase linearizer set to type A standard subtly enhances the sound across all genres.
I have done that several times, loaded the new firmware and forgot to reboot to plus and have actually really enjoyed the classic versions but disregarded that and switched to plus.

20210221_115400.jpg

I had said earlier that I preferred FE+ but had gone back to try Dawn just to confirm what I experienced before. As I said I like a lot of the Dawn sound but overall find it a bit bright, which is weird because my iems are fairly warm and bassy but it must just be a synergy thing and it just exaggerates one of the frequencies for me. While on dawn something made me listen to some classical which includes some soundtracks and it sounded superb - I didn't expect that, I thought classical would definitely come off too bright but maybe Dawn works well with more complex music.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #3,933 of 8,223
Two days ago @MrWalkman kindly sent me a ZX300 "test" download for Midnight & Dawn. ( I hope he doesn't mind me posting this, before official launch ? )

Again, i'm just SO AMAZED, by the insane detail, the extension of the soundstage, the timbre of the instruments, for example drums, it's like you can actually feel the texture of the drum skins. Bass is controlled & deep. There's no hint at all of harshness in the highest of highs & vocals are like the vocalist is standing next to you, with such clarity & resolution.

I know we're all into headphone listening, but run your Walkman's through a speaker system set up. I use my Sony TA - ZH1ES & the audio playback is the best i've ever heard. Addictive & intoxicating !

No number of thank you's to @MrWalkman can really suffice to how grateful i am, as i'm sure we all are....

Feb 21, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #3,935 of 8,223
Just curious, @MrWalkman did you do anything with the DSD handling of wm1a? I'm not complaining but I just did some dsd256 up sampling and playback from my computer, using 1a as a DAC, I cant remember DSD sounding this good on 1a!

He enabled native dsd on the 3.5mm output several versions back

Feb 22, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #3,937 of 8,223
Feb 22, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #3,938 of 8,223
I have now for several days been flip/flopping between FEv2, ProjectZ, Dawn and Midnight in both classic mode and plus mode and come up with my 2 favourites which are Midnight(Classic) and FEv2(Plus). Plus on the 3 others give me a strange reverb on male vocals on a few of my albums but it goes away in Classic mode, only FEv2 don't have this reverb on Plus mode. I think I'm going to stick with Midnight(Classic)

Feb 22, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #3,939 of 8,223
Hello everyone and especially to Mr Walkman for bringing new life to my WM1A. I have been following this thread and was excited to learn about these new firmwares and have been testing them out. Please everyone if you haven’t donated to Mr. Walkman please do so if you can. Definitely worth it.
I have some questions though I haven’t seen addressed. I tend to listen to my music in direct mode and choose not to apply equalization or digital correction. Is the firmware designed to run in non direct mode because I notice a lot of people turn on DSEE AI? Also what are the best setting for the equalizer? Does the tuning only affect the equalizer or are we left to adjust it to our liking? I am currently running Midnight classic.
thanks

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #3,940 of 8,223
The custom firmware is designed for direct or non-direct. The choice is yours.

Feb 22, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #3,941 of 8,223
Midnight Classic and Midnight plus. Difference is the sub-bass impact/vibrations more controlled and shortened which leads to better separation more holographic feel.

If you want those older or Jazz feeling songs, sweeter vocal. Classic is way to go which envelopes you with the sub-bass ambience.
If you want a 3D feel. You probably go for plus.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #3,942 of 8,223
@MrWalkman mad respect for you, was hesitant to try custom firmware but decided to give it a shot on my stock WM1A & IER M9. First tried FEv2, and honestly it was surprising but I didn’t feel like there was any emotional upgrade. When you dropped the latest firmware, I was curious, gotta say dawn was kinda lacking for me (FEv2 was slightly better with my setup). But midnight was a game freaking changer, my music just suddenly came out amazingly beautiful, and now I’m just emotionally connected with every detail from the bass, strings and all the way down to vocals. Can’t say thank you enough for your amazing work on these firmwares, your awesome man.

Feb 22, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #3,943 of 8,223
Just curious, @MrWalkman did you do anything with the DSD handling of wm1a? I'm not complaining but I just did some dsd256 up sampling and playback from my computer, using 1a as a DAC, I cant remember DSD sounding this good on 1a!

It's just a result of the overall changes that the firmware brings. As @nc8000 mentioned, I only enabled DSD native playback over the 3,5 port.

Does the tuning only affect the equalizer or are we left to adjust it to our liking? I am currently running Midnight classic.

It affects the overall output via the balanced or single-ended port, regardless of Direct Source on or off.

Is the firmware designed to run in non direct mode because I notice a lot of people turn on DSEE AI?

DSEE AI can help even with CD quality FLACs, so I recommend giving it a try if you wish :)

@MrWalkman mad respect for you, was hesitant to try custom firmware but decided to give it a shot on my stock WM1A & IER M9. First tried FEv2, and honestly it was surprising but I didn’t feel like there was any emotional upgrade. When you dropped the latest firmware, I was curious, gotta say dawn was kinda lacking for me (FEv2 was slightly better with my setup). But midnight was a game freaking changer, my music just suddenly came out amazingly beautiful, and now I’m just emotionally connected with every detail from the bass, strings and all the way down to vocals. Can’t say thank you enough for your amazing work on these firmwares, your awesome man.

I'm glad that you like it! I wish more 1A/1Z owners would give this a try, but maybe in time they will.

Feb 22, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #3,945 of 8,223

Users who are viewing this thread

Back