Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 20, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #3,901 of 8,232
Love Midnight version, listening to Norah Jones ‘Lonestar’. It’s so comfortingly warm yet so wide, extend for miles and miles and miles. It’s beyond perfection, it’s magic. Feels like sitting at night in front of campfire, watching the stars and listening to Norah live, singing and strumming her guitar. So comforting
Awesome. That’s my experience as well. Love Norah. In plus mode I presume?

Feb 20, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #3,902 of 8,232
so many FWs , so little time :xf_cool:

currently rocking FEv2 (plus) on my WM1A with my awesome semi-neutral Zeus XR , and i love the pairing

ps: i still have not tried (but have downloaded/stashed) Project Z / Dawn / Midnight

Great times to own a SONY dap.

Feb 20, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #3,903 of 8,232
NW-WM1A + Dawn + DUNU SA6 = 🥰

Feb 20, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #3,904 of 8,232
Are there any improvements in battery terms in Midnight versus Project Z?

On a first listen, I think I liked the sound of Project Z more than Midnight ...

Feb 20, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #3,905 of 8,232
I love how I can push the volume up to drive the SA6 now, getting a much better sense of their capability - stock being so bright meant for many albums that higher volume just wasn't possible. I have a balanced cable on the way for my HD650s, it'll be interesting to see how they scale with firmware and via 4.4mm. I need to bear in mind also that I'm still only at 80 hours play on the 1A.

Loving Dawn Classic for now but I'll definitely try more, I'd like to give it a good few days though for my ears to burn in!

Thanks again @MrWalkman - I'll buy you a beer or two over the weekend 😉

Feb 20, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #3,906 of 8,232
Are there any improvements in battery terms in Midnight versus Project Z?

On a first listen, I think I liked the sound of Project Z more than Midnight ...

It’s the same

Feb 20, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #3,907 of 8,232
I did tell @MrWalkman privately that his work is nothing less than spectacular.
In these long months of 'world gone crazy' listening to music is one of the things that is helping me stay focused.

Running my WM1Z using Midnight in Plus mode. Listening to Pearl Jam, Dire Straits, The War on Drugs, U2, Peter Gabriel and many others... I am finding new little tidbits in the music everyday now because of his work and the enjoyment this guy is giving us all. There is no sum of money equal to what @MrWalkman is doing to many souls that uses his work.

Thank you my friend, who ever you are, wherever you are, for the gift you had given us all.

Hats off,
Ofir

Feb 20, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #3,908 of 8,232
Feb 20, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #3,909 of 8,232
Feb 20, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #3,910 of 8,232
Awesome. That’s my experience as well. Love Norah. In plus mode I presume?
Actually it was classic mode. I forgot Midnight have both classic and plus mode, the button was hold down naturally.

This is golden age for WM1A/ 1Z owners. I know it’s preaching against the choir. But I feel the current firmwares, allow iems to reach pretty much their potential and more. As long as you got a pretty decent iems/ headphones, you’re definitely in for a treat, or two or more

I never imagine it would come this far, when we all started this journey. It’s literally light years in terms of sound quality improvements compared to 3, 4 years ago. It’s a far leap compared to even a year ago. Give any Sony Walkman engineers a listen to their own creation, I wouldn’t be surprised this would completely knock their socks off. Or even give other audiophiles, who use AK, IBasso, Cayin etc a relisten to current 1A/1Z, I bet they would rethink Sony Walkman. It stands proudly toe to toe with the current TOTL daps. Walkman brings soul out of music, which many daps are currently lacking, and now they are implementing via tubes etc. Music is not only about technical capabilities, it’s meaningless noise without soul

Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, this holds doubly true for modded 1A/1Z

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #3,912 of 8,232
Got the DMP-A30 working on my A35 and it’s a very nice upgrade. I had given the A35 to my GF
(who hardly uses it) so now i’ll be taking it back and she’ll get the Hiby R2 lol

Feb 20, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #3,914 of 8,232
A very personal decision, rolled back from Dawn to DMP-WM1-FEv2. on WM1A. I feel that that Dawn Lacks the initial bite and aggression that FEv2 presents on the leading edge of the note. I'm speaking in minutia here, however the expanded sound stage & smoother presentation comes at the cost of some tonality was to much for me. Feeling that is related to the attack & timbre.

Albums:
Thin Lizzy - Renegade, Live and Dangerous
Rage Against the Machine - eponymous
U2 - The Joshua Tree
Life Sex & Death - The Silent Majority
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Never Say Die
Bad Wolves - NATION
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
AC/DC - Back to Black
David Bowie - Diamond Dogs, Aladdin Sane
PJ Harvey - 4 Track Demos, Peel Sessions, Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea
The Kills - Blood Pressures
Duffery - The World That You Know
DJ Shadow - The Mountain Will Fall
Lamb of God - eponymous
Ice T - Original Gangster
All About Eve - eponymous
Supertramp - Crime of the Century
Muse - Black Holes & Revelations
Japan - Tin Drum
Warlock - Triumph and Agony
Human League - Dare

All credit to @MrWalkman and the QC team, this is more a reflection of an individual listeners preference/taste, most definitely not a broad sweeping statement.

Q-6
I've done the same. I initially enjoyed Dawn but after a while I realised that the aspects I like about it have also taken away from another part which made me go back to my previous choice of the FE+. I've just gone back to Dawn to confirm my experience, and as much as I love some of it's traits my ears favour the overall sound FE+ provides.

Feb 20, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #3,915 of 8,232
avast.jpg

Just curious, does this mean that the installer is added to a safe database and then anyone else who attempts to open will not get a warning or is it just for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back